Headlight Issue / HID's - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Headlight Issue / HID's

TRUCK

04.5 5.9 HO, Auto, reg cab, long box. No performance mods... yet

FIRST ISSUE

Well since the day I bought the truck used, the headlamps, tail lamps, and park lights all flash when the truck is running, in park, and the drivers door has been opened recently. Even with the lights Off

The Lights will stop flashing if:

Brake is applied even with door open

Door is shut, and after some time

Truck is put into gear

I haven't a clue why the truck does this. Its rather damn annoying.

VIDEO OF HEADLIGHTS FLASHING
http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y...psrg4xkd1m.mp4

Now the other issue.

Recently I installed some KENSUN Bi Xenon HID's 5000k. I had also bought the warning cancellors.

I installed it all and Only the drivers side light would work. I took off both warning cancellors and boom both lights worked.

However...

In past HID installs I have done on formally owned Gen 3's I've had to switch the Hi and Lo beam wires.

Now when The truck is running and on "low beam", the headlamps will flash erratically. You will notice that the passenger side will flash consistant, but the drivers side will switch between " Hi and Lo " while flashing. See Link for Video...

"LOW BEAMS"
http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y...psmgao1az7.mp4

Now when truck is running and indicating "high beam", this is what it does.
The passenger side stays consistant, and the drivers side switches from "Hi and lo"

"HIGH BEAMS"
http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y...psxgphhsh9.mp4

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I read your other thread and between the 2 of them I think I know why the lights flash and why the horn is on a push button.

These TIPM trucks have a "feature" in the ECU that when the door is opened, the brake is released, the driver's seat belt buckle is not connected and it's in gear the horn will honk and the lights will flash. It's the "fix" Dodge came up with to correct faulty PARK/NUETRAL safety switches and shifter linkages. Basically, you couldput the truck in an indicated PARK but the trans wasn't really in PARK and they would roll away. At least that's what I recall.

So, I think a PO jimmy'd around with the wiring at some point, put the horn on an independent circuit to keep it from blowing and just dealt with the lights flashing. Your issue may actually lie in the PARK/NEUTRAL switch in the trans.

Try hooking up the seat belt and opening the door without the brake applied to see if the lights still flash.

You also said that the VIN checks as a Laramie but the truck is barebones. That may also be an big part of the issue. I don't know where to begin on that issue. Is the title a salvage or carry any brands? That only means it was totaled and rebuilt with insurance. If is was wrecked and rebuilt but never claimed or disclosed somebody could have really gooned it up and gotten away with some shady stuff.

Hope this helps or gives you some sort of new direction to go.

'15 Black 2500 CC/LB Laramie 4x4 Auto aka Ren. Leveled, that's it! For now...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'94 Blue 2500 SC/LB Laramie RWD Handshaker aka El Diablo Azul. Bone stock

Last edited by Pavement Tested; 11-15-2015 at 02:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pavement Tested For This Useful Post:
StealthDiesel (11-15-2015)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

I've heard of this park issue before. Where in the trans would I find the park/neutral switch? Just drop the pan? The history I've gotten with the truck fits the condition. Seems to have been switched from manual to auto. Idky a fool would do that but ok. Also is it possible to get the ecu reflashed minus that horn thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:12 AM
Diesel Freak

I am not sure on the location of the switch. Sorry that I'm no help there. There are others who will most likely chime in and help you out. Give it a few days, it's kind of slow here on the weekends.

As for the reflash, it is highly unlikely a dealership will remove the feature for legal reasons since it was a safety update they did to all these trucks. If you know someone with a privately owned star scan tool they may do it but it would probably be strictly off the books.

'15 Black 2500 CC/LB Laramie 4x4 Auto aka Ren. Leveled, that's it! For now...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'94 Blue 2500 SC/LB Laramie RWD Handshaker aka El Diablo Azul. Bone stock
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Tested View Post
I am not sure on the location of the switch. Sorry that I'm no help there. There are others who will most likely chime in and help you out. Give it a few days, it's kind of slow here on the weekends.

As for the reflash, it is highly unlikely a dealership will remove the feature for legal reasons since it was a safety update they did to all these trucks. If you know someone with a privately owned star scan tool they may do it but it would probably be strictly off the books.
It is listed below as a "push-in" range sensor. You can ignore the big TVA contraption above it, as an 04.5 probably doesn't have it.

2006 QCSB 3500 SRW 4x4 Black Laramie
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Cummins Fan

Garage
possible bad FCM..

05 2500 leveled, HBS Steering brace, 20x12 fuel hostages on 33x12.5x20 Toyo Mt's, Smarty S06,edge cts2 with EGT,Airaid CAI,Wicked wheel 2, 4inch TBE, Led cab and tail lights with 3inch cube fog lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode