Double-din stereo head units? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Double-din stereo head units?

looking for a good double-din. Something with a good hands free mic and easy to use. preferably not all flashy with color changing LED's... it aint a ricer after all.

my father (who rarely drives it) has a problem trusting mirrors and would like something I could later plug a rear-view camera into.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 PM

Garage
i have a kenwood touch screen and a back up camera works awsome the part number is a DDX372BT it works great..

2004 quad cab all most stock
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Diesel Freak

hey tony, ever try using google? it answers questions like this really well....

Just kidding, here's some links I found:
Best Double Din Head Units of 2015 | Best Car Speakers HQ

Best Double Din Head Unit 2015 - Car Stereo Reviews & News + Tuning, Wiring, How to Guide's

Instagram:@AVVBLANC 2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Diesel Freak

find anything you like?

Instagram:@AVVBLANC 2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm definitely sticking with kenwood or pioneer
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Diesel Freak

You still have the link to that double din bezel i sent you right?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Cummins Fan

I've always been partial to Pioneer so I put an X3600BHS in mine along with a backup camera. I also added steering wheel controls (I put a writeup on here about this as I did it differently so I didn't need to have the dealer reprogram the RDZ sales code in) and added a USB port to the lower dash. I also tied in the XM receiver to the factory antenna and added a bypass so the DVD could be operated in motion. My girlfriend loves this!

I liked the radio so much I also put it in my Tacoma and made the same tie in's to connect to the factory XM antenna and steering wheel controls.

The reverse camera and phone/mic work great with these and is easy to use.

The only thing I can say is that the steering wheel controls are beneficial with these units. All adjustments like volume are button pushes. I'm partial to knobs on the actual head unit.

2007 2500 Black Quad Cab SLT Short Bed 5.9 4x4 AE G-56, 3.73LS, Anarchy EFILive, SBC 3250DD, ARP 425, 2011+ rocker arms, Corsa dB
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveB.inVa For This Useful Post:
avvblanc01 (10-24-2015)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcoalroller View Post
i have a kenwood touch screen and a back up camera works awsome the part number is a DDX372BT it works great..
I have the exact same unit with rear cam and it works great. I only wish I could get it dimmer at night. It's at it's max dim of -15 now and still a little too bright for me at night. Great unit though.

2016 Ram 3500 CCSB w/ Aisin
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa View Post
I've always been partial to Pioneer so I put an X3600BHS in mine along with a backup camera. I also added steering wheel controls (I put a writeup on here about this as I did it differently so I didn't need to have the dealer reprogram the RDZ sales code in) and added a USB port to the lower dash. I also tied in the XM receiver to the factory antenna and added a bypass so the DVD could be operated in motion. My girlfriend loves this!

I liked the radio so much I also put it in my Tacoma and made the same tie in's to connect to the factory XM antenna and steering wheel controls.

The reverse camera and phone/mic work great with these and is easy to use.

The only thing I can say is that the steering wheel controls are beneficial with these units. All adjustments like volume are button pushes. I'm partial to knobs on the actual head unit.
got a link to that write up? I've been curious about doing steering wheel controls.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:24 AM
Cummins Fan

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...s-antenna.html

There are a lot of threads showing how to install the radio buttons and wiring around the steering wheel.

The threads show you taking a wire from the clock spring to a connector on the rear of the gauge cluster then you have to get a dealer to program sales code RDZ so that the truck will recognize the buttons. I called dealers and visited one but none were ever able to do it even when I told them the steps to do it.

This writeup tells how I connected everything to bypass the factory data connection in the truck and go straight to the steering wheel controller. You have to go through a controller anyway when you go to an aftermarket radio so you're just cutting out the middle man, plus you improve the response a bit too.

Since it's bypassing everything, you must manually program the steering wheel control. It's a little tedious but you can make the buttons do whatever you want. Just follow the directions carefully and you'll get it.

For what it's worth, I've only ever had one steering wheel radio control adapter auto recognize the buttons when it was initially installed, so I've had some experience with them. Even with the one that auto recognized, we ended up reprogramming it to make the buttons do different things.

Don't let that discourage you though, this way is a lot more simple, cheaper and less of a hassle than getting RDZ programmed just to have a controller auto recognize.

2007 2500 Black Quad Cab SLT Short Bed 5.9 4x4 AE G-56, 3.73LS, Anarchy EFILive, SBC 3250DD, ARP 425, 2011+ rocker arms, Corsa dB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveB.inVa For This Useful Post:
avvblanc01 (10-26-2015), ffdino (03-01-2016)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:27 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tf.520 View Post
looking for a good double-din. Something with a good hands free mic and easy to use. preferably not all flashy with color changing LED's... it aint a ricer after all.

my father (who rarely drives it) has a problem trusting mirrors and would like something I could later plug a rear-view camera into.
i have a kenwood that has everything ur looking for ,for not that much money

2012 2500 Ram, 4x4, longhorn Laramie, 6.7 h.o. it is an automatic transmission.
Egr delete ,Dpf delete, 4 inch race pipe ,Efi live kory wilis tune
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Cummins Fan

I just put a pioneer AVH-4300 in my truck and i could not be happier with it. It is android based and works perfectly in android auto but also has pretty sweet apple features I guess (don't have apple so haven't seen them first hand). Back up camera and hands free are awesome features that work great and its easy to use.

06 2500 NPD trans all billet, triple disk,S&B cold air intake, Autometer Pyro/Trans/Boost, 8" BDS Long arm Lift, Fox shocks, Dual steering stabilizer, BD diesel steering brace, 38" Toyo open country, Race line Assault 20's, EFI live cps5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode