2006 TIPM and Electrical Connector: - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2006 TIPM and Electrical Connector:

I'm posting this to help any other members. There are several old threads I wanted to add onto but were locked.

Truck: 2006 2wd ,4 door, short bed, cummins, 6spd. Truck was a factory tow package (I believe they all are this new).

Symptoms: right trailer blinker and trailer brakes not working
RF turn signal not working
windshield washers not working
left rear truck running lights only not working
fuel level/guage intermitten readings
brake/abs light
dropping out speedometer

As anyone can see this list is long and the repairs took much longer. To make a long story short: verified power for trailer light, windshield washer, brakes and LR tail light had no power from TIPM. Replaced and codes cleared.

Broken washer line and bad bulb all in RF after verified TIPM issue.

brake/abs (lights on) and left rear tail light still were in operable, verified power from tipm. All trailer stuff worked 100%

The factory connector behind the LF wheel well was faulty. Upon inspection the connector was in good shape. NO water or dirt intrusion and secure clamp connector. BUT over a very bumpy (dirt) road things still worked intermittenly. I by-passed and hard wired the connector and everything is 100% good. Just wanted to share with everyone.

'95 Ext. cab long bed 12v. auto 2wd.

Last edited by HemiChallenger71; 06-04-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

FML! Owner went down a dirt road today. brake/abs light came on, speedo stopped working and nothing on the trailer wiring was working. Hit another pot hole and now it all works...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Diesel Freak

Check the wiring by the oil filter - if chaffed it causes weird stuff to happen.

My trucklights work, but the left turn signal on my trailer is weak. TIPM related - we have opposite issues.

Reflash TIPM and see what happens. I won't spend $$ on TIPM replacement - the design is flawed IMO. Can cause serious safety issues with headlight, low/high beam issues and turn signal problems - wipers too. Too bad there wasn't a class action to make Chrysler address this along with the multifunction turn signal switch.

2006 3500SLT 4x4 Dually 5.9 Diesel w/ 25' Gooseneck Tandem Dually Equipment Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Its so stupid. Basically engineers doing things to make it seem like they need a job. Lights on a vehicle should never be controlled soley by a computer. But every vehicle made is like that now.

I'll check that wiring. I have the truck for the week to daily drive and tow with. I cant get it to repeat the problems he claims.

I also noticed both batterys dont have hold downs and the connections arent very tight. I'm going to start with that and monitor things.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

I forgot to add I purchased a Dorman REman TIPM.

Well after a lot of driving and messing with stupid things...

Put on some battery hold downs and fixed some questionable grounds @ the battery cables.

Traced wheel speed sensor wires back to said electrical connector (post #1) behind LF wheel well. I found just ahead of the fuel tank 1 wire rapidly began to loose voltage. All wiring was clean, dry and no corrosion or breaks.

I couldnt find the pin out diagnosis anywhere on the internet but during my testing of the rear wheel speed sensor 1 electrical connection should be 12V and the other ground.

Towed 2 different heavy trailers. All seems fine. Crossed fingers and continuing to drive.

Apparently the factory wiring on these trucks is just garbage. I probably should have just re-wired the entire rear of the truck and saved myself the headache.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode