Sagging 03 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2wd Suspension Discussion Pretty obvious, forum just for the 2wd guys!....NO ADVERTISING!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sagging 03

My 03, stock, 200k mi sits about 1 1/2" off the bump stops. First, does anyone have any idea of approximately what the origional/new/stock spacing might have been between the bump stop and the lower control arm? I will replace the springs if necessary to gain some space. I have seen "helper" bags installed inside coil springs ( mostly on the rear ) and wonder if anybody has done that to the front. I realize the shocks would have to be moved to the outside and new shock mount brackets fabbed. I'm not interested in "raising" the front end as much as I am trying to achieve some additional suspension travel on the front. Thanks for the wisdom and advice!

2003 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 2WD, DRW, 5.9 Cummins, stock(I'm learning as fast as I can!), 6 speed, flatbed.

1995 Ford F800, 5.9 Cummins, 5 sp Spicer, 10' flatbed (gonna replace the 93 F350, but I haven't told the F350 that yet!)

1993 Ford F350, 7.3 IDI PS, built auto, gooseneck puller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM

I'm not going to be of much help here, but I have the exact same problem. I took my truck to my trusted mechanic and he told me that the coil springs were shot and need to be replaced. Also, one of the rubber bump stops was completely missing.

I'm having that work done now, along with new ball joints & shocks....

What the heck is up with the springs wearing out?

Christopher
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Christophercale - I rebuilt my front end about a year ago. New lower control arms with bushings and ball joints and new bushings and ball joints in the top control arms and inner and outer tie rod ends on the steering rack. It really tightened up the front end. That 5.9 diesel is HEAVY ,plus 2 heavy batteries and, in my case, a full HD brush guard on the front is what wears out the springs! I'm planning on moving the batteries to the rear of the truck in September ( after I retire) and that will take over 150 #s off the front end as well as get the batteries out of the "under hood" heat (that should also help the batteries to last longer). I'm researching some additional suspension mods for the 2wd trucks. I'll post what I find and mods I make here in the 2wd section. None of the mods can start until Sept. when I finally get some time. Good luck!

2003 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 2WD, DRW, 5.9 Cummins, stock(I'm learning as fast as I can!), 6 speed, flatbed.

1995 Ford F800, 5.9 Cummins, 5 sp Spicer, 10' flatbed (gonna replace the 93 F350, but I haven't told the F350 that yet!)

1993 Ford F350, 7.3 IDI PS, built auto, gooseneck puller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Jay -

Thanks for the info. The front end work on my truck has been completed:

New springs, shocks, 1 bump-stop, ball joints, sway bar links...I think that's it. Man, what a difference in handling all of that new stuff has made. It feels like a new truck and it was worth the money.

My mechanic used Mopar springs, but used Moog ball joints and sway bar links.

Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode