Cummins Diesel Forum banner

CST 2wd Lift Buildup/tech/Q&A

15K views 61 replies 17 participants last post by  DieselRig 
#1 ·
Here is the new thread... For anyone interested in the CST. I will be posting pics soon of the buildup and modifications. Any questions on what will fit or what it takes just ask. This is a continuation for the guys that I have been chatting with on the other thread.

#10 ·
With this lift you have to consider two points of rubbing - first and formost, you have to be concerned with the wheel/tire rubbing the new spindle. The stock rims have 6.25" of backpacing approximately (17x8 with something like +45 offset). You can't run the stock wheels without a 1/2" spacer because the wheel/tire will rub the spindle - so that puts you at a MAXIMUM of 5.75" of backspacing. I tried this and the wheel/tire is just too damn close for my tastes. I ended up with a 17x9 wheel with +10 offset with calculates to 5.36" of backspacing and that IMHO is the most you want. So your 18x9 wheels with +18 offset calculates to 5.68" backspacing so in theory they barely fall under the 5.75" max backspacing but I wouldn't run them that close. Also understand that each manufacturer may measure differently so you will need to test fit them as well. I do like those XD Spy wheels however - very nice looking!

The other places you have to worry about rubbing really depends on the size of the tire (but is impacted by the size of the rim and backspacing as this can push the tire out further). Depending on tire size, you could rub the front bumper, front airdam or the inner fender in the back of the wheel well when turning full lock. Prime example - I have 315/70/17 BFG AT tires. Originally I had them on the stock 17X8 wheels (with a 1/2 spacer) and had no issues with the tire rubbing. I then went with 17x9 wheels with a +10 offset and I rubbed the front airdam ever so slightly when turning the wheels lock to lock - enough to make me take the sawsall/dremel to the air dam to relieve the rubbing. When I replace these tires, I want to go with 37's and I anticipate I may have some additional cutting to do to clear those.

Hopefully that helps...

#12 ·
You can go to this link installing-cst-lift-2500-megacab and check out pictures of mine with the CST lift and a 3" body lift. I just added Prestige fender flares so I need to update the pictures.

I ran 35s on mine with just the body and a spring spacer so 33s will be no issue. With 4.5bs rims, your tires are going to stick out well past the fenders.

WIth a 2006 you will need the brake lines that come with the CST kit - the lines are too tight without them. Mine aligned perfectly so no issues there.

#19 ·
Reminds me of theis quote "i remember my first beer" :hehe:

Reactions: DieselRig
#24 ·
Been busy with work but finally gotta chance to hit up a well known suspension spot here in OC. I took a screenshot of what they are charging me ..Is this how much it's worth it's part's and install.. Thanks! and do you know that guys's username I really wanna see how it looks on a dually:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.