Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum - View Single Post - New 2018 69RFE vs Aisin Regrets?
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Jared Herzog
Diesel Head

I have had both. While i greatly prefer the shift strategy and feel of the Aisin i can not tell a difference in seat of the pants power. The added power the Cummins has with the Aisin,at least for me, is not felt on the road or while towing. I do feel a slightly slower but firmer shift without all the weirdness of the 68rfe in my past 14. Having said that there are reports here and elsewhere that the programming got better in about late 16/early 17 so that is a great benefit if it is true. Personally i have not driven a 68rfe past the 15 model year.
I would not worry about or regret your purchase. Run the truck. Also, both my 3500 DRW with Aisin and my 2500 with 68rfe had the 3.42 gears which work well for the speeds my trucks see and both were equipped exactly the same way. Both trucks are loaded the same and tow/towed the same trailers.
I think torque management and traction control holds them all back to the same level most of the time anyway. My 05 G56 325/610 would have brought the hurt to both my 14 and 15 in real world situations every single time and got better mileage doing it. But, the newer trucks ride smoother and are quieter if thats what a guy likes.

Ram 14 2500 RIP 14,700 Stock. 68RFE."The Lemon"
Ram 15 3500 Dually. Stock. Aisin. N Fab wheel to wheel. Weather Tech Mats. Big D Steering Box Brace.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Herzog For This Useful Post:
Hunter9 (08-22-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome