Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum - View Single Post - G56 Transmission cooler
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
slpcrf450x
Diesel Freak

Mine is in the driveshaft side as well. There was someone on here in another thread that suggested most of the heat is coming from the exhaust. I added more exhaust wrap and rigged up a shield on the pipe. Haven't towed but I don't think there's a significant improvement. I drove it empty to work a couple times. It's about a 45 minute drive and most of it is cruise set at 72 or 73 in 6th. I will get up to 195 just in that short time with ambient temps in the mid 90's.

Several years ago I hauled a 40ft high cube shipping container home from salt lake. This was before I had the temp probe stuck in the transmission, it was actually in the rear diff at the time. It's pretty much a long slow climb from salt lake all the way to Evanston on the interstate. Ambient temperature was over 100. Hottest the rear end got was 210. This was when I decided that I would never have to worry about the rear end temp and moved the probe to the transmission. I was driving based on coolant temp. I would back off when the coolant hit 230, I was able to stay above 65 at most times. I had no idea that the trans ran hot and I wouldn't be surprised if I was over 260 for a lot of that trip.

Tow Pig - 2006 3500 CCLB SRW, G56. Far from stock and still slow
Project - 2002 2500 QCLB SRW, NV5600. Not Running

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome