Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Reading The Smoke
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
MacaveliMC

Reading The Smoke

Hey Guys,

New to the forum here. I just wanted to post this question, I'm sure it's quite easy to answer given all the experience of the collective here.

So I own an '07.5 2500 mega cab manual 6.7L truck. The dealer who had it before me had to do some work to it, most notably the guy who traded it in took his tuner with him so the truck wouldn't run. They ended up getting the truck tuned and stacked with 5 tunes, selectable by mounted dial. They also replaced the entire exhaust from turbo back, so it's pretty much a straight pipe with a muffler, nothing else. Airbox is stock, EGR is all deleted.

The highest tune is +180HP, and I run it on that tune all the time because it gets the best gas mileage, plus I drive pretty conservatively. Not that easy to hot-rod a manual truck lol, and I take extra precautions when towing for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the real reason for this post: reading smoke. I noticed two things about the truck in regards to smoke out the exhaust:

1. In the winter, the colder it is, the more white smoke I get just on start up. Is this something I should be worried about? Pretty much never see it when it's warm, I'm assuming it's leftover unburnt gas in the exhaust?

2. If I get AT ALL liberal with the throttle, maybe 40%+ I get black smoke out the exhaust for a moment. The more throttle, the more black smoke. At most it lasts maybe 1-2 seconds before clearing up. My best guess as to why this is happening is the stock air box can't provide the air to keep up with the amount of fuel being dumped in by the tune initially?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the input!

- Mike

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome