Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Who runs max effort everyday?

12K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  bcflyfisher 
#1 ·
So I’ve been running level 3 from CTT. Just today I bumped it up to level 5. The power is definitely real.

So out of curiosity who here runs max effort everyday and how long have you ran it this way? What are your driving patterns on max effort?

I’m always nervous throwing more power. I don’t do any WOT runs-never will. I don’t do boosted launches. I don’t do hard downshifts. If anything I’ll do some aggressive accelerating every now and then where I either roll into the throttle at 40-50%. Sometimes I’ll do an aggressive take off from a red light. Again it’s not flooring it, it’s just a heavy roll into throttle at about 40-50%. That’s the absolute most I demand out of my transmission from time to time.

467.7 turbo
RevMax valve body (more clamping force for my clutches running 225psi)
4.10 gears on 33’s (going from 3.42’s I’ve reduced the load on my transmission by 20%)

So why should I be worried you ask? Well that’s a good question. I’m not fearful, just trying to be cautious is all.

See less See more
#2 ·
How smokey is it on level 4? Do you have upgraded injectors? Do you like the 4:10s with 33s or wish you went with 3:73s?
Thx

#3 ·
My 12 isn't tuned but I rant my 06 on kill all the time, other than heavy-ish towing 12k plus.The I'd turn it down to 3. I drive like a mature adult should and got my best mileage with it set on kill.

Reactions: nick00less
#4 ·
Drove my '10 on 125ish all the time for 3 or 4 years. 3 with a 465. Well not all the time, when I was towing I'd drop it to 75ish. Ran great, I did not romp on it until 4th gear but would make hard 75% throttle pulls regularly even when towing. Never did wot as it felt like the tires wouldn't take it. My '16 struggles to hold the 50hp tow tune in 5th. All this info is moot for you as both my trucks have a third peddle.

#5 ·
I’m always on the max effort tune when I’m running empty. I get my best mileage that way. I don’t run it hard. Usually just set the cruise on the expressway. When I tow it’s set on a 30hp tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Max effort as well for me. I drive it kinda hard too. It’s really fun once I hit 3rd gear. She smokes pretty good at WOT. Or maybe that’s my tires.....

Towing 4k lbs I’ll keep it in max effort. Drop it down to the tow tune when the camper is behind me. I know I can’t keep my foot under control...

Can’t say enough about the valair clutch. It holds so strong. I did some 4wd WOT pulls the other day and wow...

#10 ·
I'm unsure if I have anything other than "balls to the wall".

I don't see the need of selecting lower tunes. If it's built correctly for what you're doing, it should hold. If you don't have it built for what you want to do and do it anyway, be prepared to pay the man....or learn self control. I've paid the man many times.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I’m starting to come around to the same mindset. Why run anything lower than max aside from when you’re towing (with a 68-seen some horror stories).

My truck is built to handle all this power, when driven responsibly. My truck is not fully capable of handling all this power, when driven out of control several times a week.

I’ll never see over 40lb of boost so no need for studs. I don’t drive like a maniac, so no need for built trans. If anything, I’ve done just enough to reinforce current components, decrease the load on other components, and have given it bigger lungs (sort of but not really).

My truck is the in between fun truck. No where near what she was stock. Yet not quite where she can be fully built. Just enough to have fun, accelerate fast, and stretch her legs every so often.

Kind of like 2nd string football. I’m not on the starting line up but I’m not Joe Schmo sitting at home eating potato chips on the sofa watching the game.

So far I’m enjoying max effort. It feels like my trans performs better with max effort and my valve body.

#12 ·
A buddy of mine ran a tuned 2013 F350. Full deletes with a GT37. Otherwise stock injectors and CP4. He ran his max setting all day, every day. Sold the truck at 400,000km and the new owner is at 450,000km. He dyno'd just over 500hp and about the 1200lb/ft mark.

I think the trick is to use caution when towing heavy or avoid boosted launches without wheel spin to melt the trans.

#13 ·
I did it for awhile (few months) but runs hot, and wheel spin is ridiculous. I have 42 in tires and they spin effortlessly. The Cummins is an absolute torque beast!

Reactions: N1NJ4ON3R
#14 ·
I run mine on max effort all the time, it has 4.10 gears with a built tranny. I'm regearing again to 4.56 cause I was used to drive with 35s and 4.10 gears. Now I have 37s and I think it is sluggish.

#16 ·
There is no reason to turn your tune down, your accelerator pedal reduces power output. Every time you change your tune, your trans has to relearn the power output/accelerator position relationship. You’re not doing yourself any favors. You’d be better off just being disciplined and watching your gauges.

#18 ·
I did for a couple of years then turned it down to the 100hp tune for the past year or so. My reason is simply because I'm on 37s and still running 3.42 gears so it's really easy to end up at low rpm / off boost and puke out more smoke than I want to around town. It'll still do it on the 100hp tune but noticeably less.

Of course everything can be mitigated by accelerator pedal input but for now this works better for me. I'll be doing gears this summer at which point I'll go back to the big tune. I think the mighty AS69RC will be happier getting hammered when the gearing is more like stock.

#22 ·
For the first time on a stock truck I slipped my gears. This happened when I was lifted (Thuren) and on 37’s. Adding power (deleting) didn’t help either. It would happen at low rpm in 5th gear. I would aggressively accelerate 40-50% throttle. Not full on mash (WOT); but rather an aggressive rolling into throttle. Truck would disengage and jump a couple hundred rpm. I would then let off throttle, let rpm drop and it would reengage. I don’t think it was a full on traditional slip (3k rpms/CEL/burnt tranny fluid smell), but it was still scary none the less.

I chalk it up to my truck was probably trying to downshift into fourth but due to the added stress/power being thrown at it, it couldn’t successfully engage so it just stayed unlocked. That’s my theory at least...

Edit-since my recent mods my truck hasn’t experienced this at all

#19 ·
I ran on my highest tune since I installed EFI years ago. My truck is not my daily so I don’t see the miles you guys do however. I have 225psi transmission tuning along with it, head studs, CAI and exhaust. Have 3.73 gearing on 33’s. Nothing crazy but a nice change for me(for now lol).

I drive very tame, when engine is cold I don’t go over 35% throttle (just me, like getting everything warm and thermostat open before more throttle). I also don’t push it remotely hard in 1st. I let it shift into 2nd before increasing throttle even more. As others have said as well I generally get my best fuel mileage in this tune!

#20 ·
I ran on my highest tune since I installed EFI years ago. My truck is not my daily so I don’t see the miles you guys do however. I have 225psi transmission tuning along with it, head studs, CAI and exhaust. Have 3.73 gearing on 33’s. Nothing crazy but a nice change for me(for now lol).
Obviously you have a custom valve body separating plate using reverse LPs as a minimum for your 68?

#21 ·
I usually leave it on a lower tune until its warmed up or driving around town. On the highway I'll turn it all the way up. I get the best mpg this way. Also running on the no low boost fueling right now.

#23 ·
Running EFI at tune 4 all the time, no boosted launches, ect. But I like the feel of WOT and why not!!! I've put in 4.10 gears w/35's and a 850 revmax that is under warranty for 2 years. So far my expectations are met. See mod's in signature.

#25 ·
January 2014 was when I first started running max effort ~500whp, stepped it to ~570 going to an s480 6 months later. Got better at tuning through the years, currently sitting around 600 with the 476. Towed several 6 hour one way trips at that level with nothing getting even too warm (have yet to tow anything that gets the pyro to break 1200, and the trans rarely gets over 145*). Checked the oil recently (changed it Christmas of 2014), and it still looks/smells like new, and I burn up back tires easy. If I’m first at a set of lights I like to leave at half throttle (that’s led to more than one race (I let off at the speed limit there)), and I use the power on the highway quite a bit (meaning lots of my wot runs are overdrive exclusive).

#27 ·
When you switched to 5,did you relearn the transmission or just go for it?
Please describe the transition and what you did and how it went
Thank you

#33 ·
For all those running on max effort all the time. Are you guys studded and/or have a modified/built trans?

I generally run mine on level three which is one setting before max effort. My trans is built, but I am not studded yet. Although, level three is more than quick enough for me.

#35 ·
For all those running on max effort all the time. Are you guys studded and/or have a modified/built trans?

I generally run mine on level three which is one setting before max effort. My trans is built, but I am not studded yet. Although, level three is more than quick enough for me.
Built trans(still goin through them), studded, springs and rods.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: alacey
#34 ·
Not studded with a built Trans. I'll probably put ARP 2000 (425)

Reactions: alacey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.