Cummins Diesel Forum banner

After market radio

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Workdog 
#1 ·
So I’m a little upset I have no sux port on my radio. I have the infinity speaker system, with rear entertainment system. Is there a way to add a aux port or do I need to add a aftermarket radio? If I have to put a new radio in, I’m going to put a double din touch screen.

#2 ·
what kind of head unit? IE the nav, the in-dash 6-disk non-nav, etc... should be three letters somewhere on the face plate that tell you which model head unit it is. if you can tell us that, we can probably tell you if it's fitted with an input for an aux jack. might just have to pull the unit out and plug it in to the back of the radio. since you have the rear DVD, there's already an aux input there. worst case you might be able to piggyback that setup with a secondary input on the audio side and run a plug to the cubby, the console, or the glove box.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I wanted to upgrade my stock radio as well. As Solorpwr07 said Crutchfield has great tech/customer support. I went Double DIN and got a Pioneer AVH-1550NEX. Also two cameras for front and back, iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR which keeps steering wheel function as well as truck diagnostics and gauges and the adapter kits. Just over $700 for it all. Hopefully arrives next week and I can install.

BTW (not trying to hijack thread) but does anyone have any doubts DIN install tips/tricks they want to pass along?

Thanks

09 SBQC 4X4 auto, stock

#5 ·
I wanted to upgrade my stock radio as well. As Solorpwr07 said Crutchfield has great tech/customer support. I went Double DIN and got a Pioneer AVH-1550NEX. Also two cameras for front and back, iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR which keeps steering wheel function as well as truck diagnostics and gauges and the adapter kits. Just over $700 for it all. Hopefully arrives next week and I can install.

BTW (not trying to hijack thread) but does anyone have any doubts DIN install tips/tricks they want to pass along?

Thanks

09 SBQC 4X4 auto, stock

Took the dremel and shaved off the supports

Kept the original cubby with new radio. Ordered a cover with storage but was shallow so cut it out put it the original with the trip from Amazon to cover the other mods.

You might not want the cubby but I stay in RV Parks and great place for gate key and other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
What size is that pioneer, 7”? I’m looking at replacing my pioneer single fin right now but want to keep my cubby also. Eventually I want to put a switch panel there. Anyway my question is do I have to buy a double din dash bezel or do you guys just cut yours?

#10 ·
Might be a little late, but here it is anyways.
Blazzin- any word on your setup? might be some helpful info to share with others.
Asfwt and others - I use to have a Pioneer. Started to act up. Lose power, nav quite working, would lock up. So I punched the screen and replaced it with a Alpine. Happy so far after two months. I have it setup with backup camera and SiriusXM. This unit came with AUX and USB on back. Purchased an extension from Amazon to get the USB and AUX to front of consol. Now I can plug in my Ipod or Flash drive without having cables laying on the floor. Very clean look. It can be used on any unit that has backside USB or AUX ports.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KGMJ5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the Alpine came with the bezel with cubby. Did not fit, regardless of what Crutchfield said, without trimming a bunch of factory bezel. did not want to trim factory bezel so ditch the cubby (rather small and useless anyways). Kept the same bezel the Pioneer had. Very clean finish.

Also picked up this little gem. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FKAHFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This Microbypass Parking brake is great. Now I can adjust by sound or other features without being in park with e-brake on. I can even adjust settings while driving. Not that I would. But I can while stuck in traffic or at a light. This one is for the Alpine, but I think they make them for other brands.

For others just gathering information- Dodge factory antenna connection is different then most aftermarket head units antenna. Need an adaptor. Discovered this the hard way. Crutchfield usually sells this as part of their install kits. If you already have an aftermarket headunit, chances are you already have the adaptor.

Just my thoughts on the D-Din installs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.