Cummins Diesel Forum banner

A/C Liquid Line Question

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dodgetruck2 
#1 ·
Alright so I wanted to ask a quick question about the liquid line running under the passenger battery tray.

Preface to why I'm doing this, my condenser had a pinhole leak from a puncture and I lost pressure obviously from that.
Prior to this, the A/C blew cold, everything worked as it should.

I ordered a new condenser as well as a new accumulator/drier as when/if the system is exposed to atmosphere, it's good practice.

I've also read about the liquid line replacement in this scenario as well, but it mainly seems that this is replaced if a compressor grenades or there is a blockage to the system. I have no such issues and it was working fine before all this.

Am I ok to stay with the current line that's in there or do I need to replace? Can you remove it without taking the battery and tray out or is this a necessary thing to do to get er out?

I've done A/C work on the TDI and other trucks, so I'll be fine drawing a vac, adding the oil, as well as refrigerant spec by weight.
Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone? Figured this might get a hit

#3 ·
No need to replace the liquid line under the Battery.
The orifice line is the one recommended to replace if there are any cooling issues.
I know on the earlier 3rd Gens the orifice was smaller than the later ones.
I replaced mine a couple years back and it was a noticeable improvement in the A/C.

#7 ·
Isn't the orifice tube part of the liquid line? I believe this is the correct one...

#4 ·
New orifice line, its cheap insurance. Take the line with you if you go to the dealer. They ordered the wrong one and the right part # wasn't even listed.

#6 ·
So I wasn't having any cooling issues, my A/C was ice cold before.
Is there any reason to replace that line if it was working great before?
Is it required to remove the battery and tray to replace it?

#8 ·
Found this

Napa PN TEM 282522:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TEM282522

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct part?
Trying to get everything ready ahead of hand. Can't really crawl around on/in the truck as I dislocated my wrist and am currently 1 handed...

#9 ·
Yes, that is it. looks the same as the one I used.

You will need 2 hands to seperate those connectors.

#10 ·
Haha yeah I figured. I enlisted my buddy to help me with some of the things I need 2 hands for. He's got the same truck as me so should go smoothly (knocks on wood)

Thanks for the confirmation

#12 ·
The orifice tube is part of the liquid line so you can't just replace the tube, you have to replace the entire line.
I'm replacing the accumulator. The liquid line was not damaged, no debris has been sent down it.
I don't want to spend the extra coin on it if it will function fine.
Your statement is kind of contradicting, no need to replace the line if it's good, but it's good insurance to replace it...so it is or isn't necessary?
I can put that money towards another project if it's ok to leave as is

#13 ·
The orifice tube is a good item to replace on the early 3rd Gen, They have a smaller orifice than the later Trucks. A new orifice tube will for sure be the larger orifice and as I said it is a noticeable improvement over the smaller one. But if you were happy with the A/C as was, don't do it.

#14 ·
The line is cheap if the truck has any miles on it the rubber sections could be deteriorated and starting to plug the orifice I'd replace it. I just did the line and accumulator on my 06 huge improvement. You need to remove the inner fender to remove the battery tray it has to bolts up from the bottom into the subframe of the body giant pain the but it was

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.