Cummins Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diy cup holder light

24K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  VANNY 
#1 · (Edited)
If your truck is like mine, you are hunting to find cup holder at night, this may be the way to go. My truck, by check at dealer by last 9 digits of VIN was NOT wired to accept a cup holder, therefore my truck was without. Some trucks are wired for it, but it is just simply not there. YOU MAY SEE SOME ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS REMOVED FROM MY DASH. IGNORE AND ONLY REMOVE WHAT IS SUGGESTED. I HAVE OTHER PROJECTS I AM DOING AS WELL.
Step One:
get you light Assy DODGE PART # 55361226AA $23.16 + Tax PLUS 2 scotch
lock connectors

Step 2 Remove trim piece by removing one screw locate above trash bag hook, pull on hook and work your way around the trim piece.

It should nw look like this

Disconnect all electrical connections from the heater controls, cig outlet, any other remaining and totally get this trim piece out of your way. With this out of the way you MAY find the connector to hook light up to in the location I am pointing to.

If not then your truck is like mine and you need to tag into some wires.
Here is the location of where your new light will live, you will want to remove some of the screws on the bottom trim piece to pull it rearward enough to slide it into its location.

Now its in place. If you were lucky enough to have the plug, plug it in and your done. If your truck was like mine follow below. The smaller of the two plugs you removed from manual heater control (see pic) Locate orange wire with yellow tracer. This goes to the orange wire with grey tracer coming from light assy.
Next locate white wire with black tracer. This goes to the Violet wire with black tracer from light assy. BOTH THESE WIRES ARE IN SMALL CONNECTOR GOING TO HEATER CONTROL.

You should have your scotch locks and wind up with something like this. I simply took side cuts and cut the plug from the light assy.

At this point you are finished with the install. Turn your park lights on. Verify your scotch locks have made the proper connection. Run dimmer wheel up and down on headlight switch to verify proper working order. You can visibly see the bulb to verify this from looking up.

Enjoy not having to fumble and spill your drink. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Cup holder lights off

Lights on

Will it blind you NO. Does it let you see the cup holders??? Sure does. I am very glad I did this. Driving with my knee and feeling with one hand for the cup holder with my coffee in the other hand got real old real quick...

#9 ·
great write up but theres no way i would ever put scotch locks on my truck but i am going to look in to dooing this on my truck. thanks for the info :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I relate to the scotch locks. They for me are something I would rather not use, however in certain places, like inside low amp always clean enviroment situations like this I find them really handy. Ultimatly the connection method is your choice. I choose scotch locks because it was something everyone could have quick access to VS cut splice, solder, shrink wrap method. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
just a heads up for the 6 spd guys. my truck came with the cup holder light and it works great but with the boot at the bottom of the shifter, the light doesnt light up the cup holders just the back of the shifter boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.