Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Front Coil Springs Table
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
luckyhat12
Diesel Head

It bottoms out quite frequently. It does it when I cross over the sidewalk into my son's daycare each day, it bottoms out when it starts an oscillation cycle going down highway 49 in louisiana where the expansion joints cause an up and down rocking and it hits the bump stops (this can go on for a while unless you adjust speed or ). It bottoms out on rough bridge transitions here in Dallas.

All of this is when it is unloaded and not towing a trailer. I'm sure if I had a load in the bed it wouldn't be quite as bad and would probably take some weight off the front.

Completely unloaded, including absent of tools since I just got it back from the dealership again, I crawled under it last night and I only have 1.5" - 1.75" of free space between the front axle and the front factory bump stop and that is after I installed the Bilstein 5100s yesterday. I'm sure there was less when it settled with the stock shocks. The factory passenger shock was starting to weep some oil at 34,000 miles.

I didn't get a chance to measure sag last night, I didn't have enough time after putting the front end back together. I had a unit bearing go bad on the drivers side so it has been on jack stands for a few days while I sourced all the tools and parts.

I'm pretty confident that it is under sprung or at least sprung for ride and not for loading heavy. This isn't my first ram 3500 and this one is the 9th one my close family but it is the first one that rides like this. That is why I am trying to get details on the springs from the factory. They did it for the 2nd gen part numbers, it just hasn't been done for the 4th gen yet.

I'm pretty confident after what I measured last night I'm going to get springs pretty soon. I just don't know if I'm going to go heavier stock height or go with a more standard 2" leveling spring to pick the front end back up. I will have airbags on the rear when I get ready to haul heavy again but right now they aren't necessary.

--Chris-- 2012 3500MC-DRW-4x4 - stock at the moment
SOLD* - * 07 Silver QC LB 3500 5.9 4X4 G56 w/ SBC DD, BD Ex. Brake - no longer a Full Time RV'er-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome