Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Rear Suspension

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  lpennock 
#1 ·
Alright figured id ask on here and see if anyone has any advice. I have a 2004 Ram 2500 2wd quad cab short bed. I tow a 28' fully enclosed car hauler roughly weighing in around 9000# fully loaded. My rear leaf`s seem super weak in the fact that there are only 3 leafs on them. I had purchased some used timberens form a guy that had them on his ram 2500 and said they worked great when I installed these on my truck with no load my axle hit the timberens and stayed there so ultimately I had a very very poor ride. I removed the timberens and am back ot what I assume is completely stock again. I'm thinking I might just go buy some one ton leafe springs off of a similar model year 3500 but don't know if these will fit or not. Also is there any reason I only have 3 leafs in my spring packs I feel like I should have 4-5 I see a lot of 1500 4x4`s around here and they all have 4 or 5 leafs seeing as mine is a 2500 I figured it should be at least comparable.

#3 ·
I would try and locate a 2500 and compare the spring packs I think you should have more than 3 leafs. Is there a large leaf on the bottom of the pack. Some people have been know to remove that leaf to either lower the back end about 0.75 inch or to soften the ride. Sounds like previous owner may have done that to your truck. Can you post a picture of your pack?

The main difference between a 2500 and 3500 pack is the extra overloads on the top of the pack. You don't have the mounts to use those overloads so a 3500 pack won't really help

#4 ·
Ill try to get a picture when i get a off this road trip. But there is only 3 leafs no stiff or wide leaf on the bottom of the back it is simply axle bracket then 3 curved long leafs no short stiff one. Did not realize people would actually remove that heavier one for a softer ride or even for the lowering aspect :( Oh well hopefully i can find those by themselves or maybe just go to a scrap yard and pick out replacement packs form another 2500. Unfortunately i have yet to find another 2wd 2004 2500 while not driving down the road. Thanks for the input though.

#5 ·
If the thick leaf is missing you have a modified spring pack. Best thing would be to call some salvage yards for a new spring pack.

You could use real air bags instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.