Cummins Diesel Forum banner

91 W250 wiring woes

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  thrashingcows 
#1 ·
hello!
i've got a 91 (not 91.5) w250 automatic..... when i got it 4 years ago it was an old ranch truck and the wiring was a hack job... now it's a total nightmare! heh heh...:doh:
I've been looking for new wiring harness online, i saw on these forums that painless was recommended- but can't find my truck on there and really i'm scared to know the price anyhow...
I was hoping to get some opinions on if it's worth it to get an old harness off a parts truck, to buy a new one, or to just pull out my old one and re-wire the zillion problem wires and connections.

also if anyone has a parts truck in AZ i need so many parts i could make you rich...

#2 ·
I'd say that a harness from a parts truck would be worth a shot. I've used junkyard harnesses off old cars several times without any trouble. Your eyes will tell you if the harness is good. If it isn't hacked, it'll be plain to see. The only trouble I've seen is a harness that lays directly on the engine, and the insulation on the wires gets rock hard.

#3 ·
IMO, I see no reason to change out one 25yo harness for another. Make sense of what you have.... address what doesn't work... and fix it right.

Reactions: thrashingcows
#4 ·
not saying not to fix it right, but some new harnesses are pretty expensive, and not all of us have that extra money, especially this time of year. In the end, it's the one working on it that decides what works for him.and, the OP said his wires were a hack job, chances are he can find one that hasn't been cut on.

#5 ·
I just meant some wire, soldering gun, and heat shrink go a long way. Not happy with the factory wiring in my truck.... but I modify it as needed.

#7 ·
I agree...fixing what you have, which shouldn't be too hard, just time consuming, will be cheaper, and easier in the long run.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Another vote for fix it. The engine harness comes out pretty easily. Lay it on a table and go to town.

Also a good time to figure any add on electrical stuff you may want and add a dedicated fuse block for them, a relay block too. These can be found new or taken from a junker car.

#9 ·
I converted, and re-wired my 48 Desoto from 6V positive ground, to modern 12V negative ground. Used a complete aftermarket universal harness, front to back. Took me months to do it all right....solder every connection, dielectric grease, shrink tubbing, and finding, and using proper plugs for all the connections.

I could have repaired and old OEM harness in a few weeks. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.