Undercoating - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Undercoating

I have a 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel, less than 100 miles on the odometer. I am considering undercoating. I called LineX and asked about having an oil undercoating and they use Valuguard. They said $700 maybe more, depends on the truck, model etc. Has anyone had Valuguard applied to the underside?

How about Fluid Film?

$700 seems a bit high considering 5 gallons of Fluid Film cost about $170 or so. Is this a possible DIY project?

I am thinking just spraying underneath, not inside door panels etc, if I do it myself. On the other hand should it be applied to the inside door panels, door sills, etc, etc?

I live in TN but do go up to MI and WI during the winter months when salt is used on the roads.

2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew cab 6.7L IP, 12" Uconnect UC-Nav, 68RFE, 3.73 axle, 20" wheels, tow tech group, 5th wheel prep, stock
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, 200K miles, stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Looks like this must be applied using an air compressor. I was hoping it might be applied with a hand pump. I really don't want to buy an air compressor just to apply Fluid Film. It appears there are aerosol cans available, but I was considering buying a 1 gallon or even 5 gallon jug. And thoughts on how to apply this stuff?

2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew cab 6.7L IP, 12" Uconnect UC-Nav, 68RFE, 3.73 axle, 20" wheels, tow tech group, 5th wheel prep, stock
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Diesel Head

Honestly, I'd give everything underneath another coat of paint first. Black on everything but the body panels.
Then consider doing an undercoating. But the most important part of that IS doing inside the doors, frame rails, etc.
Depends how much salt you're seeing. Couple trips up north during the winter is not a big deal compared to daily driver in the salt belt. Keeping paint chips touched up and good mudflaps will do alot for the body.

I could see doing the internal parts with something like the Eastwood coatings if you want to be OCD about it (not a bad thing), but I would NEVER oil coat something I had to work on unless it was going to be a rust belt driver.
How long you plan on keeping it?
14 years old, the 07 in my sig, spent the first 4 years and over 50% of the total miles in the CO mountains daily driven EVERY DAY in the winter on sanded and salt/mag roads and highways. Including several road trip back east in the winter. Truck is black paint but was white for months at a time seemingly days after washing it.
Since then, it's done 2 winters in Anchorage AK as a daily driver and the rest here in Seattle, with trips to the salty side of the state in the winter with the snomachines.
It has zero rust and I've painted the undercarriage a few times, never done in the doors/frame fenderwells, etc.

I understand you want to protect your investment, but consider yourself or the poor sob who has to crawl under it and paint/coat everything with something that isn't an oil coating unless you need to, IMO.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Diesel Head

Buy an air compressor. Be surprised how handy it is!!

IDK how anyone who owns a home or vehicle can survive without at least a small air compressor....congrats on the new truck though!

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Grit Dog, that is the kind of considerations I need to understand. I was thinking an oil bath might be much better than a rubbery thick LineX or Ziebart type of undercoating, just for the reason you stated: too hard to work on. OK, I will take your advice and get some Rustoleum or something (after I research paint), and paint everything I can with a brush. And forget about the undercoating.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rzrbrn For This Useful Post:
top dog (02-27-2020)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I do have a VIAIR 300P Portable Compressor, but I suspect you mean one of those tank compressors, which I do not have. I just use electric tools.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:17 PM
Gearhead

Garage
Not sure about the oil spray stuff myself but where i live anything is better than nothing in Iodine Utopia. My 2013 was done by Krown when new and has had a few follow ups recoated , Like most will say ya need to have it spayed inside doors inside frame not just around. I did my 07 myself with Eastwood products...still ran around $ 300 in paint, Eastwood has the spray cans with a 3' nylon hose that goes into the frame and coats inside going trough the small frame holes . My frame was bottle brushed cleaned and Eastwood Epoxy coating was brushed on and then used Eastwood Rubberized can undercoating for second coat , I was not able to get into the inner doors and inner panels myself , Eastwood worked well.Krown does a more through job but is close to a Grand$ https://www.krown.com/en/

2006 SLT 5.9 LB 2wd- 2007 SLT 5.9 4x4-2009 Big Horn 6.7 4x4- 2013 Tradesman 4x4 6.7
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 05:25 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Fluid film or Krown would be the only way I'd go. That rubbery undercoat will rot any metal underneath it if water is able to sneak in. I know around here it's only $150-$250 to have the truck done with fluid film and the stuff works excellent
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking the $700 quoted for the Valuguard treatment by LineX is a bit on the hight side but so far no other undercoating company seems to be within 25 miles of my home near Nashville, TN.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Just FYI: LineX Valuguard is a rubber coating applied to the underside of a vehicle. It apparently is not an oil undercoating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode