20+ MPG - Finally - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
10%more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sundance (Wimauma), FL
Posts: 288
Thanks: 58
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
20+ MPG - Finally

Took about 8,000 miles on my new 2019 Cummins but today it happened. Mostly I do 19 mpg including a fair amount of light towing. The heavy towing will start in a couple weeks with a jaunt to Daytona and Bike Week. Just always hoping this new rig could do it in normal driving patterns.

Well the last 625 miles only had about 100 miles of light towing. Sure there were urban clutter operation, a fair amount of idling but mostly open and rural roads.

20.5 mpg had calculated. The stupid lie-o-meter read 21.8 but often showed over 22 mpg. Figured it just might do it with more break-in mileage. I say ....

YEAH!

Cummins0867, Gator1 and abishoff like this.
10%more is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:11 PM
Cummins Fanatic
 
ncrzrbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oak Ridge, NC
Posts: 198
Thanks: 44
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Which truck do you have?

2019 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn CCLB HO 4.10 Air Suspension
2018 GMC 3500 DRW Denali
2016 3500 Laramie CCLB Drw 3.73 68RFE
2014 3500 CCLB SRW 20" stock wheels
25k B&W companion
2019 Montana 3791RD
ncrzrbk is online now  
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Cummins Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 124
Thanks: 17
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I find this very interesting because when I drive my '06 Auto 4WD 5.9L in FL I too get much better fuel economy than anywhere else. I cant explain it because where I live now its, flat and the air is dense and I get ~15-16mpg.
liska is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Probably just a good tail wind
DarylB likes this.
mkr710 is offline  
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What is your current mileage on the truck?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Bearii is offline  
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
10%more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sundance (Wimauma), FL
Posts: 288
Thanks: 58
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrzrbk View Post
Which truck do you have?
I have a 2019 2500 with the new hydraulic Cummins engine. It is a crew cab, 4 x 4 with full cap. Right now it has about 8,000 miles on it. I carry an extra 20 gallon fuel tank in the bed and maybe 200 lbs of tools and equipment.

E69DE9C3-FF50-4EF1-B9C2-7994D21FB0B2 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Drove over 600 miles on that load of fuel. About 100 miles, but no more, were done towing a small open trailer with a Honda Rancher quad on it and some other gear. Fair amount of mileage was shopping and taking the wife to urban lunches. There was a little interstate 80 mph operation. Most was rather rural roads to the rifle range and back multiple times of about 80 miles as i ran a 600 yard two-day shooting tournament there. There was a fair amount of idling.

Normally I have been getting 19 mpg. On my Fall hunting trips to Georgia I always pulled trailer, running 80 mph often and did 17 mpg. Lately running mostly solo I have noticed the Evic showing as high as 22.8 mpg over extended periods. Just knew the engine was "breaking in" and a real 20+ mpg would soon follow.

Adding that I most always fuel at a local WalMart. That fuel is marked as a bio-fuel. Today it was $2.58 a gallon. Have yet to change my original oil and filters.
Cummins0867 likes this.
10%more is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10%more For This Useful Post:
Cummins0867 (02-26-2020), ncrzrbk (02-25-2020)
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 06:02 PM
Diesel Head
 
pwr2tow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: AVayUpNort U.S.A. 116*F summer 2007, -48*F winter 2018/2019.
Posts: 2,843
Thanks: 380
Thanked 214 Times in 177 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Occasional 80 mph,
Towing small trailer with 4 wheeler,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,
Mall crawling and lunchions,
Multiple engine startups,

20.5 MPG

I'll have what your smoking/drinking.
Either that or you forgot to figure in the extra spare 20 gallons.
Montana A Body likes this.

Sargent Friday, "just the facts mam." Black 2018 Laramie 3500, MC, DRW, 4WD, H.O. Cummins, Aisin, 3:73 gears. Towing a 2017 Torque 325 Toyhauler, 39', pin weight 2,370, GVWR 16,250, GCW 23,870 goosebox hitch. Retired, sort of.
pwr2tow is offline  
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 20
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10%more View Post
I have a 2019 2500 with the new hydraulic Cummins engine. It is a crew cab, 4 x 4 with full cap. Right now it has about 8,000 miles on it. I carry an extra 20 gallon fuel tank in the bed and maybe 200 lbs of tools and equipment.

E69DE9C3-FF50-4EF1-B9C2-7994D21FB0B2 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Drove over 600 miles on that load of fuel. About 100 miles, but no more, were done towing a small open trailer with a Honda Rancher quad on it and some other gear. Fair amount of mileage was shopping and taking the wife to urban lunches. There was a little interstate 80 mph operation. Most was rather rural roads to the rifle range and back multiple times of about 80 miles as i ran a 600 yard two-day shooting tournament there. There was a fair amount of idling.

Normally I have been getting 19 mpg. On my Fall hunting trips to Georgia I always pulled trailer, running 80 mph often and did 17 mpg. Lately running mostly solo I have noticed the Evic showing as high as 22.8 mpg over extended periods. Just knew the engine was "breaking in" and a real 20+ mpg would soon follow.

Adding that I most always fuel at a local WalMart. That fuel is marked as a bio-fuel. Today it was $2.58 a gallon. Have yet to change my original oil and filters.
You waiting for the soot to soak in????

"2004.5" Ram 2500 5.9L H.O., 48RE, 4.10's, 2WD, Reg Cab, 8' bed, 216K miles. Work Truck (14 MPG), Retired Old Truck (21.5 MPG).
ChuckJames is offline  
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
10%more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sundance (Wimauma), FL
Posts: 288
Thanks: 58
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr2tow View Post
Occasional 80 mph,
Towing small trailer with 4 wheeler,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,
Mall crawling and lunchions,
Multiple engine startups,

20.5 MPG

I'll have what your smoking/drinking.
Either that or you forgot to figure in the extra spare 20 gallons.
BULL!

I am not a liar on this issue. Many, many owners use the newer Cummins and get 20 mpg plus driving in a reasonable manner. My old Cummins was a 2004. Kept that one 10 years and 242,000 miles. Got 21 mpg running Interstate 70 mph speeds. Friend had a 2007 Cummins with a 3:42 rear end ratio and an automatic. I drove it from south Florida to my hunting camp in central Georgia for him as he got a bit old to drive. 23 mpg both ways not towing. We ran 75 mph as his gear ratio kept the rpm's down below my ration.

This one I have now has stock 3:75 rears. I keep the stock tires around 70 psi and try to keep the top rpm's around 1,700 or so.

This picture is coming home from a test ride on a different truck with what looks like 42 miles on it. See the rpm at around 65? Same rear end ratio as mine.
Y1UXJ2sLTrqlh7%xGkQtgA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

After my motor started to break in I most always showed over 20 mpg but actual calculation was 17 -18 early on. Then it went to a consistent 19 mpg hand calculated (with or without the use of the extra tank). Lately it has consistently showed higher and higher, almost to 23 mpg.

Here is a picture from the last tank of fuel before this one. Do not remember how many miles were on it at the picture time. When I fueled it today it was real close to 8,000 miles. LOOK! This is my truck as pictured at the start of this thread.

DAA82242-29CB-4FF3-984A-5154E2565A33_1_201_a by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

If you have a new Cummins hydraulic motor 2019 - 2020 and have yet to get close to this you are doing something wrong.
Cummins0867 likes this.
10%more is online now  
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
10%more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sundance (Wimauma), FL
Posts: 288
Thanks: 58
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckJames View Post
You waiting for the soot to soak in????
Ran the same fuel in my Ecodiesel for 114,000 miles. No soot. Super clean but I did have GDE tuning. My oil at 10,00 miles was super clean. This Cummins is not that way yet.

Watching the oil with the stock emissions system has shown it typically foul the oil with soot contamination. yet, I posted pictures of my oil at maybe 4,000 miles and it sure looked decent and not inky black like my old Cummins or my old Ford diesel tractor is today. I just checked the oil recently and it is now darkening but not at the "black ink" level that is so disgusting. My take there is the EGR is not as damaging to the new Cummins as it is/was to the Ecodiesel if you ran it stock.

Other owners of recent Cummins but not the brand new engine have responded in kind. The soot contamination is not hideous like the Ecodiesel. My Duramax before the old Cummins was also a nasty oil contaminator.

I have no plans to deal with that issue right now. After maybe 50K I expect to do a full delete without having contamination issues that are serious. Hope that is the case. No way am I throwing money away changing oil early and then more often than is recommended.
10%more is online now  
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 20
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10%more View Post
Ran the same fuel in my Ecodiesel for 114,000 miles. No soot. Super clean but I did have GDE tuning. My oil at 10,00 miles was super clean. This Cummins is not that way yet.

Watching the oil with the stock emissions system has shown it typically foul the oil with soot contamination. yet, I posted pictures of my oil at maybe 4,000 miles and it sure looked decent and not inky black like my old Cummins or my old Ford diesel tractor is today. I just checked the oil recently and it is now darkening but not at the "black ink" level that is so disgusting. My take there is the EGR is not as damaging to the new Cummins as it is/was to the Ecodiesel if you ran it stock.

Other owners of recent Cummins but not the brand new engine have responded in kind. The soot contamination is not hideous like the Ecodiesel. My Duramax before the old Cummins was also a nasty oil contaminator.

I have no plans to deal with that issue right now. After maybe 50K I expect to do a full delete without having contamination issues that are serious. Hope that is the case. No way am I throwing money away changing oil early and then more often than is recommended.
So...you are going to let the soot soak in....I understand.

Yes, Driving habits play a big role in MPG's.

"2004.5" Ram 2500 5.9L H.O., 48RE, 4.10's, 2WD, Reg Cab, 8' bed, 216K miles. Work Truck (14 MPG), Retired Old Truck (21.5 MPG).
ChuckJames is offline  
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
10%more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sundance (Wimauma), FL
Posts: 288
Thanks: 58
Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
So if it is all that bad for ego soot we should all immediately do a full delete.

What is crazy is how to do that delete. If you go on another Cummins forum and pay the $100 for a contributing member you can then get information on how to get that done. Right now I am not looking and do not know how to get a delete done. The EPA crackdown sure stopped those links from being discussed. To my knowledge there is and maybe never has been a delete that leaves all the emission equipment hooked up but electronically turned off. The problem is EGR and the DEF system a good option. The DPF is not a big deal and does stop that black exhaust.

Been literally begging for a link to anyone that can program one of these like GDE did for the Ecodiesel.
10%more is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome