About sell my 19, any last ideas? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
About sell my 19, any last ideas?

I’ve had my 19 limited now for 8 months and have had a love hate relationship with the truck. Despite the Aisin getting better after 5000 miles I still do not like it, it shifts so slow through the first 3 gears and defuels abnormally hard. My biggest gripe with the truck is that the rear end rides absolutely terrible over medium and large size bumps. I’m not sure if it’s the air ride or what but I don’t know what to do. I’ve lowered the air to 50 psi and have Fox 2.0 shocks.

My question is after leveling the truck my rear end sits about .75 lower than the front. Is there any chance now that the rear is low it is over inflating the air bag thinking the truck is under a load and causing a harsh ride? My lift installer says that is not the case but wanted to get some more feedback. Is it possible lifting the rear an inch might help? I know the short wheelbase of the ccsb does not help but after having countless trucks including a 2004 Dodge 3500 ccsb Cummins this truck by far has the worst ride in the rear of all of them.

2010 Ram 2500cc sb mineral gray metallic, laramie. Lovin it !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 10:34 PM
Diesel Head

new ECM and TCM update is in the works. It won't fix your ride quality but then again if you want to sink 1,000s into it you can still do that. Oh btw the GM and Furds don't ride much better.

I would say get a daily driver vs selling a brand new truck. It will be cheaper...

19 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab H.O. Patriot Blue aka The Patriot Bus
19 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 20x10 -19 Hostiles, Borla S-Type aka the Wifes Wagon
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 11:50 PM
-

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
Iíve had my 19 limited now for 8 months and have had a love hate relationship with the truck. Despite the Aisin getting better after 5000 miles I still do not like it, it shifts so slow through the first 3 gears and defuels abnormally hard. My biggest gripe with the truck is that the rear end rides absolutely terrible over medium and large size bumps. Iím not sure if itís the air ride or what but I donít know what to do. Iíve lowered the air to 50 psi and have Fox 2.0 shocks.

My question is after leveling the truck my rear end sits about .75 lower than the front. Is there any chance now that the rear is low it is over inflating the air bag thinking the truck is under a load and causing a harsh ride? My lift installer says that is not the case but wanted to get some more feedback. Is it possible lifting the rear an inch might help? I know the short wheelbase of the ccsb does not help but after having countless trucks including a 2004 Dodge 3500 ccsb Cummins this truck by far has the worst ride in the rear of all of them.

So your 2019 with an AISIN must be a 3500, despite your signature. (2010 Ram 2500cc sb mineral gray metallic, laramie. Lovin it !!)

So it has rear leaf springs with factory air bags?
IMO, a 2019 CCSB 3500 does not have a short wheelbase.

I have a ton of experience with aftermarket air bags on 3rd Gens, but none with a 2019 3500 with air ride.
50 PSI is a ton in aftermarket rear air bags and will make any unloaded truck ride like a lumber wagon.
When I had rear air bags in my truck, I just needed 30PSI to level the truck with over 2000lbs 5th wheel pin weight on it.

Can you lower the air pressure in your rear bags? With aftermarket air bags, 5psi is recommended when the truck is unloaded.

Also, if the rear of the truck is 0.75" lower than the front, I would dump the front level kit to get rid of the Carolina squat look!

2004.5 Dodge SB QC 2500 2wd Cummins 600/6spd manual/3.73 LSD

ATS 3K/5K Twin turbos. DDP 50HP tips, F1 valve springs, ARP headstuds.
SBC Dual disk 3250. Smarty. Glacier Diesel intake plate, air horn, fuel & filter system.
MBRP S.S. muffler. BD short shifter. Brakesmart tow controller.
BD exhaust brake. Pullrite 24k Superglide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel View Post
Quote:
I’ve had my 19 limited now for 8 months and have had a love hate relationship with the truck. Despite the Aisin getting better after 5000 miles I still do not like it, it shifts so slow through the first 3 gears and defuels abnormally hard. My biggest gripe with the truck is that the rear end rides absolutely terrible over medium and large size bumps. I’m not sure if it’s the air ride or what but I don’t know what to do. I’ve lowered the air to 50 psi and have Fox 2.0 shocks.

So your 2019 with an AISIN must be a 3500, despite your signature. (2010 Ram 2500cc sb mineral gray metallic, laramie. Lovin it !!)

So it has rear leaf springs with factory air bags?
IMO, a 2019 CCSB 3500 does not have a short wheelbase.

I have a ton of experience with aftermarket air bags on 3rd Gens, but none with a 2019 3500 with air ride.
50 PSI is a ton in aftermarket rear air bags and will make any unloaded truck ride like a lumber wagon.
When I had rear air bags in my truck, I just needed 30PSI to level the truck with over 2000lbs 5th wheel pin weight on it.

Can you lower the air pressure in your rear bags? With aftermarket air bags, 5psi is recommended when the truck is unloaded.

Also, if the rear of the truck is 0.75" lower than the front, I would dump the front level kit to get rid of the Carolina squat look!
My bad my signature is of the last Cummins I had, I loved that truck! Yes mine is a 3500 with factory air ride and I severely regret going with that option. There is no way to adjust the psi that I’m aware of. I don’t want to take the leveling kit off but will lift the back if I feel like that may help enough for me to want to keep it. At this point I’m tired of the ride and my wife doesn’t like riding it in much.

post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
new ECM and TCM update is in the works. It won't fix your ride quality but then again if you want to sink 1,000s into it you can still do that. Oh btw the GM and Furds don't ride much better.

I would say get a daily driver vs selling a brand new truck. It will be cheaper...
I will look into it. Actually I own a 2020 GMC 3500 and it rides much much better In the rear. I use this Ram for my business and the GMC is my personal truck. I’m truly hoping to find a solution to the problem but if not I’m going back to ford, I had a 2017 F350 that rode very nice, no complaints at all.
Barry Smith and NordicNevs like this.

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:54 AM
-

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
My bad my signature is of the last Cummins I had, I loved that truck! Yes mine is a 3500 with factory air ride and I severely regret going with that option. There is no way to adjust the psi that Iím aware of. I donít want to take the leveling kit off but will lift the back if I feel like that may help enough for me to want to keep it. At this point Iím tired of the ride and my wife doesnít like riding it in much.

Is there anyway to temporarily deflate the bags? Or disconnect the air hoses and disable the air pump or plug the hoses?
Just to see if it is the air bags at 50PSI causing the poor rear ride.

Do you have a picture of the rear suspension with the air bags?

2004.5 Dodge SB QC 2500 2wd Cummins 600/6spd manual/3.73 LSD

ATS 3K/5K Twin turbos. DDP 50HP tips, F1 valve springs, ARP headstuds.
SBC Dual disk 3250. Smarty. Glacier Diesel intake plate, air horn, fuel & filter system.
MBRP S.S. muffler. BD short shifter. Brakesmart tow controller.
BD exhaust brake. Pullrite 24k Superglide.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:35 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
i've seen several YT vids of folks having trouble with their factory rear air when leveling the truck. it works off a "level switch" so since you've brought the front up, the rear now thinks it's low and it's trying desperately to compensate. probably has the airbags pumped up so high you might as well be on suspension blocks. there are kits out there to put a longer sensor rod on the air system to account for a lift or level; i think Greg_A has a vid on doing that with his 18 crew dually when he put the full thuren system on it (not a bad way to get comp'd ~$10,000) with fox 2.5 remotes and F/R springs.

might be worth looking into before eating the massive depreciation already on what's otherwise a GORGEOUS truck.

FWIW, 50 might still be too high pressure. i'm running 50 in my fronts unloaded (granted, i'm in a dually) and 40 in my rears. i'm lowered (a lot - easier to get under trailers) and it still rides like garbage but it's light years better and way more controlled than at stock pressures / ride height.

hope this helps. good luck!

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, grid delete, fleabay elbow, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, Mishimoto stock replacement radiator.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Pozzinator For This Useful Post:
StealthDiesel (02-21-2020)
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:23 AM
P2609 Fanatic

Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
^^^ Thank you @NordicNevs ^^^
A month after dumping $70K into a new 3500 reality slapped me right across the face.
Then I got the News Flash: Anything more than a Tradesman (doing daily commercial hauling) is honestly more of an ego-boosting hobby than a functional daily driver.

All modern Class-3 diesels are trouble prone, buggy, and blindingly expensive to maintain.
@mxsledder Do yourself a favor and go buy a high end Jap truck or SUV with a gas engine. Hell even a loaded F150 would do the trick.

You'll have less headaches and financial drain, and most people dont know the difference between a macho Cummins and a V-6 Ford gasser anyway.

Dont get too upset...
Reality is a damn hard pill to swallow.
Trust me, I know.
7492, NordicNevs and Jimmy N. like this.

2016 Longhorn 3500 4x4 short-bed in Pearl White.
Cummins HO, AISIN, CrewCab, SRW, Ride-Rite remote rear air suspension, Edge CTS2, plus the typical after-market bolt-on crap.
> Reduced current grid heater mod w/all emissions intact.<
*Hauling a 2017 Northstar Arrow-U.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 06:07 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
all these 3500 HD trucks ride rough until you load them. my tradesman is a 4x4 with no air bags, but huge leaf springs. when i get weight in the back it rides like a Caddilac.

it's definitely not a luxury vehicle. but i can tow pretty much anything i feel like.

as far as the Aisin, i wish i had that trans. again, it's not made for BMW type shifting. but you can tow pretty much anything you feel like. it's made for heavy duty.

other than airing down the air bags like someone else suggested...
there are two other things that could help:
1. get a tool box, load it up. (probably wont help much.)
2. there are some seat covers i love (have not got for my current truck yet) made by Wet Okole. expensive, but they are thick and padded very nice on the butt. probably $400 or $500. the seat covers usually fit great except their center console pieces never usually fit lol. but i dont sit on the console.

2018 3500 Tradesman SRW
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:14 AM
Diesel Head

Can you say Honda ?
Electrojake likes this.

17 3500 Laramie CCLB loaded, minus the stupid stuff.
2011 Durango Hemi Loaded
2020 KW T370 PX9 380HP 1250lbft @ 1400 RTO14908LL
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:42 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:

With your front leveled and the rear at stock height the way the system works it is giving it all it can to the airbags to try to level it. Making it about as solid as a rock back there. Your truck knows it is not sitting correctly. My understanding is the 19's read from different locations in the to ''auto level'' your truck as opposed to 18 and earlier. The same leveling kit wont work as it did for 18s and below for that reason as the truck will still try to adjust to wrong points.

pddieselpower on youtube successfully did his with minimal effort. search his videos on his 19 3500 limited equiped identically to yours and I think youll find a solution.
RayK and Electrojake like this.

2019 2500 4x4 Mega Laramie
2005 3500 4x4 QC 5600, 72 RoadRunner 440 4spd
71 Challenger R/T 440-6, 14 Jeep SRT
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:47 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel View Post
^^^^^ THIS THIS THIS!!!!!

Holy cow 50psi???? Now I'm not sure completely in the RAM trucks but when i bagged my '67 Chevy C-10, i used to roll around town unloaded with 10psi or less in the bags and it rode like a cadillac. 50psi and it felt like i had blocked up my suspension with bricks and the only cushion was the tires.

Move along, nothing to see here. Just a bone stock '19 CC CTD Big Horn in Appliance White.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode