Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Thanked 284 Times in 244 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The perfect truck for you would be a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. And if you can't fit enough amps and subs in it, you're fccking deaf anyway so may as well just delete the radio instead!
Last part tongue in cheek. First part, here's why a 1500 EcoD is the right truck...
1. You "want" a diesel, because you don't need one at all based on your description of use. Check
2. You "need" 4x4 because you go wheelin after work, not because of all the snow in TN or getting over the curb into the Marriott.
3. You "get" the Longhorn interior you want.
4. You will get almost as good of mileage commuting (90% of your driving it sounds like) as if you added the Hemi AND Cummins fuel mileage together and forgot to divide by 2! (Hence your fuel price thing.) BTW, even with the ZF trans behind the 6.4 Hemi, a HD mega cab 4x4 gasser is not only a little as a gasser engine in a big truck, but your credit card will run away and report you for abuse at the gas pump card reader!
5. You'll get better resale by a long shot because it's a diesel, but the price of admission is less than the big C.
6. The 8HP trans in the Eco D (and most other Fiat Chrysler big engine vehicles) is the best transmission on the market. If you had an Allison in your 02 and you did have the NAG1 in the SRT8, if they had a perfect baby together, it would be a ZF 8HP transmission.
7. As much as I like big trucks, the 1500 will just be a more "relaxed" ride for the 2+ hours a day you spend riding with your wife (god bless you for doing that btw!).
Now all bullchit aside, I'd personally buy a Mega Cab diesel. Black. Because that's my favorite truck. I have one now and the next one will be the same but 15 years newer than the current one.
I'm totally serious about that, except I/we don't use the Mega for a commuter-mobile (wife did for the first 90k miles, but different situation then) and I don't pay for my commuter-mobile, but if I did, I likely wouldn't have a 1ton diesel just to drive to work and back if I was racking up that many miles commuting.
07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.