Dual alternators 440A - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Dual alternators 440A

Do we know what the logic is in how these function? Do they always split the load? One work at a time depending on the demand?

Is it a smart (variable voltage) alternator? If so, any recommendations on where to grab an ignition hot as a signal wire, from the engine bay? In the cab?

I'm wiring up a popup camper with LiFePO4 batteries and a DC-DC 50a charger

@TheRAMadaINN 2020 CCLB HO Laramie 4x4, Red/Night Edition. Highway Products Flatbed & Hallmark Truck Camper UTE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRAMadaINN View Post
Do we know what the logic is in how these function? Do they always split the load? One work at a time depending on the demand?

Is it a smart (variable voltage) alternator? If so, any recommendations on where to grab an ignition hot as a signal wire, from the engine bay? In the cab?

I'm wiring up a popup camper with LiFePO4 batteries and a DC-DC 50a charger
Dang, they let anyone in here...

But... Thats a good thing.. I'm wondering the same thing as i am doing a similar thing!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:50 PM
Diesel Freak

A lot depends on how your truck was optioned. I have the 440 dual amp system. I do know that the vehicle computers control when the alternator turns on, cause if you don't have that option, and just add an alternator, it won't produce any voltage until you have the computer flashed to recognize the extra alternator.

As for hot leads, best place is the VSIM module and AUX switches that you program via your dashboard.
Here is a link to RAM's Upfiter Guide that has links to several areas you will find useful.
Ram5500CamperThing likes this.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
A lot depends on how your truck was optioned. I have the 440 dual amp system. I do know that the vehicle computers control when the alternator turns on, cause if you don't have that option, and just add an alternator, it won't produce any voltage until you have the computer flashed to recognize the extra alternator.

As for hot leads, best place is the VSIM module and AUX switches that you program via your dashboard.
Here is a link to RAM's Upfiter Guide that has links to several areas you will find useful.
Thanks!

What he's asking (I know, because we've chatted and i'm planning the same thing he is) is where to tap into the alternator hot circuit to trigger the DC/DC charger that will be going to the aux battery bank.

We both ordered the duals as a factory installed option.

The DC/DC chargers (or most isolators for that matter) are triggered once they get to "X" voltage and turned on by the alternator once it starts working.

This is pretty easy to setup with a single alternator, mine was super easy in my last truck.

But with the dual alternators its not as straight forward.

So..... We will have dual alternators charging the truck batteries, thats easy and all setup from the factory.

But we will have a battery bank in our campers what we also want to charge from the alternator(s).

So trying to figure out... Is one a main always charging, and one just kicks on if needed? Or???

2020 Ram 5500 SLT 4x4 Reg Cab, CA84, Dual Tanks, Dual Alternators
Instagram: Ram5500CamperThing
YouTube: Ram5500CamperThing
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
I’m assuming the factory dual batteries are always connected in parallel and never isolated from each other or the charging system. If this is the case then I can put a fused lead from either battery positive and wire it to the DC to DC charger. And using the bodybuilders guides I can locate a blunt cut ign+ and use this for a signal wire.

This sound correct to you guys?

@TheRAMadaINN 2020 CCLB HO Laramie 4x4, Red/Night Edition. Highway Products Flatbed & Hallmark Truck Camper UTE
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 02:02 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRAMadaINN View Post
Iím assuming the factory dual batteries are always connected in parallel and never isolated from each other or the charging system. If this is the case then I can put a fused lead from either battery positive and wire it to the DC to DC charger. And using the bodybuilders guides I can locate a blunt cut ign+ and use this for a signal wire.

This sound correct to you guys?
Been lurking because I ordered a 3500 pickup with dual alternators, but I did look at a few things in the builders docs.

There's also a high current power point (300A) 8mm post mounted on the driver side battery. Assuming you have the aux switches and/or VSIM, you could put an ignition source on one of the aux switches too as a backup disconnect for the signal wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-21 22_58_55-Ram_Heavy Duty Truck_ HAPP 2019+ (3) (1).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	865653  

2004.5 5.9 HO 2500 QC LWB
2020 3500 HO QC LWB SRW 4x4 Limited - Order:1-15-20, 2-12-20 "I" status
The Following User Says Thank You to brutal For This Useful Post:
Ram5500CamperThing (01-22-2020)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal View Post
Been lurking because I ordered a 3500 pickup with dual alternators, but I did look at a few things in the builders docs.

There's also a high current power point (300A) 8mm post mounted on the driver side battery. Assuming you have the aux switches and/or VSIM, you could put an ignition source on one of the aux switches too as a backup disconnect for the signal wire.
Good info! Thanks for sharing!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 PM
Diesel Freak

The RAM Body Builders guide will answer all your questions and curiosities. They also show how to downgrade to a single alternator. Strange idea, but to each their own.

But as for a tap point, here is another suggestion from the BBG.

From just watching my volt gauge and comparing to my last 2013's single alt volts readings, I would guess that the system is smart enough to adjust the alternators outputs to the demand. My truck gets to 13.3-5V within seconds of a very cold start, and within a minute I see over 14V. That's with the grid heater sucking the life out of the system, a triple heat element interior cabin heater, headlight, the 12" display and the 2 fuel heaters. Plus all the other stuff that typically kicks in on a vehicle.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
The Following User Says Thank You to dgiturbo For This Useful Post:
Ram5500CamperThing (01-23-2020)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
The RAM Body Builders guide will answer all your questions and curiosities. They also show how to downgrade to a single alternator. Strange idea, but to each their own.

But as for a tap point, here is another suggestion from the BBG.

From just watching my volt gauge and comparing to my last 2013's single alt volts readings, I would guess that the system is smart enough to adjust the alternators outputs to the demand. My truck gets to 13.3-5V within seconds of a very cold start, and within a minute I see over 14V. That's with the grid heater sucking the life out of the system, a triple heat element interior cabin heater, headlight, the 12" display and the 2 fuel heaters. Plus all the other stuff that typically kicks in on a vehicle.
Thanks, the BBG is amazingly helpful for most things, but it lacks in some things, such as this alternator confusion.

It also lacks in any info whatsoever on how the dual tanks work. Luckily a member here schooled me on their function recently.

This is my first diesel, and its not even in my possession yet, just reading and waiting!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 AM
Diesel Freak

Waiting is the hardest part. Been driving a Cummins RAM since 2004, so feel free to ask as questions pop into your head.
I got the dual Alt for mine because of the weak output from the single alt my previous ones had. (The 220Amp is at max alt speed, which is about maybe 80Amps at idle).

As for your alternator charging strategy, I have plugged in my fifth wheel RV with a really dead battery, started the truck, and the RAM was able to run the truck and recharge the RV battery quick enough to where I could raise the RV landing gear to hitch up to the truck within minutes. Hope that gives you an idea on the output.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Never realized there was any kind of problem keeping the batteries charged with the basic alternator. Sure could understand the need if you have major draws from towing or some kind of aftermarket electrical loads. My old Cummins never gave me an issue and so far, no hint of a problem with the new one.

Good to read the comments and experiences here.
Cummins0867 likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM
Diesel Freak

Most of my RAM battery charging issues happen during Nov-March when temps are between -20F and +35F. Even this 2019 cranked just a hair slow last week when it was -5F, but it did fire up and the volts went to 13.3V. As usual by time I was at the end of my street, 14.2V was displayed.
Dual Alt's rule...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode