Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need Advice: Dealership Broke Law. Suggest a reasonable remedy.

16K views 77 replies 40 participants last post by  dieselfumes57 
#1 ·
My local dealership broke the law. I had been in discussion with them regarding a 2019 Ram 2500 with a Rocky Ridge upgrade package (6" lift, 20" wheels, 37" tires, power steps). MSRP was $72,970 and accessories were listed with a supplementary sticker for an additional $9,793. Originally the website only showed the MSRP with the Employee Pricing taking off around $10k. When I visited the salesman said they wouldn't sell it for the price listed online due to the added features. I had a suspicion it was against the law and told him so. He said he had been telling the same thing to his managers but they never changed the price. At that point I didn't do enough digging to KNOW it was against the law. The next day the online price reflects the MSRP, added accessories, with discounts of Employee Pricing. Bringing the sale price down back near MSRP. They wouldn't do a deal or accept my offer of my trade (valued at $30k) plus $40k including TTL. Fast forward a few days and I purchase another vehicle from another dealer.

The next day I see online that they now have it listed for less money than I offered them: MSRP ($72,970) + Accessories ($9,793) - Employee pricing ($8,440) - Dealer Discount ($9,772) = Sales Price ($64,551) - another discount ($1,000) = *dealership name* Price ($63,551). Louisiana Code Title 46, Part V, Chapter 7 shows that that format is legally binding. They cannot advertise a "Sales Price" or any other form of "Price" and not accept that offer. The law even gives the required format for listing an MSRP, discounts, and final price. I inquired about it to the salesman and he stated that they would not sell the truck for $63,551 or $64,551. I got it in writing via text. On the phone he also told me none of the vehicles they have listed online that have accessories have the correct price. I informed them I would contact the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission. The truck has since sold. LMVC has since contacted me and agreed with my assessment. The dealership contacted me last night and wants to resolve the issue. I suspect if I don't withdraw the claim they'll have to pay a fine and/or this unlawful advertising report will go onto their record.

Now comes the resolution. They offered to let me pick out a truck, they'd install the accessories, and I could purchase it for the price they listed. The problem is I now have a "new" 2019 Ram 2500 with over 1,000 miles which they'd have to sell as USED, so they would be able to stick it to me on trade in. Truth be told I only have $61k tied up in the truck (2019 Ram 2500 Laramie- MSRP of $72,670). He agreed that the trade in would be low so asked if I could give him an alternative solution. I suggested if he could get me the same lift as the original truck at cost with factory warranty, I'd accept that. He said he'd see what he could do and get back to me on Monday.

I'm interested to see what they'll come back with and also thinking of just going in to see what they would give me for my truck as a trade.

What do you guys think? Whats a fair resolution to this? Keep in mind they unequivocally broke the law. I don't want to take advantage of them but I feel some restitution is warranted. I need some opinions ASAP! Thanks!:confused013:

See less See more
#2 ·
... I don't want to take advantage of them but I feel some restitution is warranted. I need some opinions ASAP! Thanks!:confused013:

Why? If they are in violation of the law and face fines, I’d bet you’re not the only person who’s been wronged.

I’d not purchase anything from them and let the law/governing body do what they do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I sure wouldn't trade. They will hammer you on that. I think you are thinking correctly by trying to get them to install everything you want, the only thing with that is would you trust them if you can't trust the way they list their prices?? Maybe just see if they will cut you a check to get you to drop the complaint.

#6 ·
I don't think they'd cut me a check and that just makes me feel like I'm trying to extort them. They did wrong, sure. But I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for that.

As far as trusting them, I'd for sure want to see invoices and try to verify the dealer cost for the parts with another dealer/vendor. I'm also going to be adamant about getting whatever they do included in the powertrain warranty.

#4 ·
A lot of people forget about using the better business burrow. When someone makes a complaint about a business, they are guilty till they prove otherwise.
Sorry for your bad luck. Im thankfull I have had good luck with buying mine and the 3 different dealers I had to deal with to get warranty work done were nice.

#8 ·
I thought about BBB, but from everything I read it looks like they don't take complaints unless a transaction occured. Since they refused the sale to me, it didn't seem like I had any recourse. I think I also saw they recommend contacting the state AG or Motor Vehicle Commission if laws are broken. After looking at everything I could find, the Motor Vehicle Commission seemed like the appropriate place to file a complaint. I suppose I could file with the AG too to put more pressure on them, but the MVC is responsible for approving their license to sell cars in the state. It's their governing body.

#7 ·
What do you mean? Have you seen bad reviews of the Rocky Ridge trucks? I looked online and couldn't find many reviews of them. The system looked pretty professional from the limited time I spend looking over the truck. I'm sure they'll find another brand lift that they can buy anyways.

#9 ·
The law should contain a section on the penalties for violations. Knowing it might help you set your course of action. One thing, no matter what you get out of it - something or nothing - doing something is being a good citizen. Go get em.

#12 ·
My local dealership broke the law. I had been in discussion with them regarding a 2019 Ram 2500 with a Rocky Ridge upgrade package (6" lift, 20" wheels, 37" tires, power steps). MSRP was $72,970 and accessories were listed with a supplementary sticker for an additional $9,793. Originally the website only showed the MSRP with the Employee Pricing taking off around $10k. When I visited the salesman said they wouldn't sell it for the price listed online due to the added features. I had a suspicion it was against the law and told him so. He said he had been telling the same thing to his managers but they never changed the price. At that point I didn't do enough digging to KNOW it was against the law. The next day the online price reflects the MSRP, added accessories, with discounts of Employee Pricing. Bringing the sale price down back near MSRP. They wouldn't do a deal or accept my offer of my trade (valued at $30k) plus $40k including TTL. Fast forward a few days and I purchase another vehicle from another dealer.

The next day I see online that they now have it listed for less money than I offered them: MSRP ($72,970) + Accessories ($9,793) - Employee pricing ($8,440) - Dealer Discount ($9,772) = Sales Price ($64,551) - another discount ($1,000) = *dealership name* Price ($63,551). Louisiana Code Title 46, Part V, Chapter 7 shows that that format is legally binding. They cannot advertise a "Sales Price" or any other form of "Price" and not accept that offer. The law even gives the required format for listing an MSRP, discounts, and final price. I inquired about it to the salesman and he stated that they would not sell the truck for $63,551 or $64,551. I got it in writing via text. On the phone he also told me none of the vehicles they have listed online that have accessories have the correct price. I informed them I would contact the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission. The truck has since sold. LMVC has since contacted me and agreed with my assessment. The dealership contacted me last night and wants to resolve the issue. I suspect if I don't withdraw the claim they'll have to pay a fine and/or this unlawful advertising report will go onto their record.

Now comes the resolution. They offered to let me pick out a truck, they'd install the accessories, and I could purchase it for the price they listed. The problem is I now have a "new" 2019 Ram 2500 with over 1,000 miles which they'd have to sell as USED, so they would be able to stick it to me on trade in. Truth be told I only have $61k tied up in the truck (2019 Ram 2500 Laramie- MSRP of $72,670). He agreed that the trade in would be low so asked if I could give him an alternative solution. I suggested if he could get me the same lift as the original truck at cost with factory warranty, I'd accept that. He said he'd see what he could do and get back to me on Monday.

I'm interested to see what they'll come back with and also thinking of just going in to see what they would give me for my truck as a trade.

What do you guys think? Whats a fair resolution to this? Keep in mind they unequivocally broke the law. I don't want to take advantage of them but I feel some restitution is warranted. I need some opinions ASAP! Thanks!:confused013:
I have never seen a dealer offer employee pricing and a big dealer discount. I get Ram employee pricing through my employer. If I recall correctly...been a while since I bought my 2012 new...it is 1% below invoice plus current factory incentives. If a dealer has a big "dealer discount" they are already near invoice. Good luck on getting them to lose money.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Reactions: steelhead1
#16 ·
It really isn't my problem if they lose money. They or someone or their behalf had to make a deliberate action to advertise this truck with these discounts. If those discounts results in them losing money, that isn't my problem. By advertising and not honoring that price, they broke the law.

#14 ·
If, in tiny little print somewhere on their website, is the disclaimer "not responsible for typographical errors," then you won't win this case. They'll simply say they made a mistake in advertising.

I've seen that time and again, a customer thinking they've "got" the dealer only for them to worm out of their deceptive practice with this disclaimer.

#15 ·
I suggested if he could get me the same lift as the original truck at cost with factory warranty, I'd accept that. He said he'd see what he could do and get back to me on Monday.
(1) You're suggesting that the dealer you've reported to your state attorney general -- or similar process -- be allowed to install a 6" lift on your new truck? Or find a low bidder to do it? Do you want to put your life in the hands of someone you've pissed off? Ever? For any reason?

(2) You're suggesting, as part of the resolution deal, that you trade in your brand new truck bought elsewhere as part of the deal. Do you really want to give the dealer with the reportable advertising practices the opportunity to ream you with the trade-in deal, when they've got every possible incentive to ream you really, really hard? Heck, trade-ins are bad ideas under the best of circumstances!

(3) I don't know about a factory warranty on a 6" lift. The only factory warranty available for lifts in the info I see is Power Wagon package, or the moderate 2"-3" Mopar lift, which, if installed by the dealer, is covered through the basic warranty and which cab be covered by the FCA Ram extended MaxCare warranty, and the factory warranty on 3" AEV conversions. I can't imagine FCA covering a Rocky Ridge package. Looking at Rocky Ridge's website, there are claims of factory warranty coverage... and a link to "register" your warranty, but no details about how it works. At all. Maybe I'm just missing it. I see the front page claim that their lifts come with a 3/36 "factory warranty", but maybe that's the "Rocky Ridge factory warranty" ? What does that cover? Again -- no details. If it's just a "factory warranty" on whatever parts get used, and then you burn tires, you pull right, your steering wheel is upside down, and you've got death wobble... and the parts aren't broken ... hey, the warranty's still good but doesn't cover any of that. Details, man, details! Get the details! In writing!

(4) Just what exactly is a Rocky Ridge upgrade package? Looking at their website, I see only two basic versions showing a half-ton lift and wheel/tire package. And there are no technical details! If this is a place that until recently has only been doing half tons, do you want them doing your 3/4 ton -- with completely different suspension -- without a detailed description of what they're putting in? Look, the incentive for the dealer pushing a truck with a 6" lift is to put the cheapest lift package they can on it. Doing a 3" HD lift right is difficult. The biggest "cheap" packages I see advertised -- shocks, spacers, brackets, and hardware -- I see are 5". A 6" Ram HD lift is not a simple thing to do right. It's not trivial. It's not something you want to throw $1000 at and hope to be done. I don't see anything anywhere about what this package is, who made the parts, who did the engineering. Again, maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I wouldn't even think about making a decision until I knew about every nut and bolt going into a 6" HD lift.

JMHOs....

Reactions: Compshooter
#19 ·
1- I'm mechanically inclined. I'll look it over and be sure nothing is shoddy work. I also will know every detail of any deal I make before any agreement is made.

2- You think I'm just going to accept any trade in offer and let them screw me out of money? No. How stupid do you think I am?

3- Details? Yes, :doh:. I have not agreed to anything and will not accept anything without full disclosure and everything in writing of what I'd be agreeing to/getting. Do I have sucker written across my forehead or something?

4-Search online and you'll see dealerships across the country with 2500's with the Rocky Ridge package. They've been doing them on 2500 for years. I've personally seen quite a few the last couple of years. I don't know why they don't advertise the 2500's on their website. From what I've seen it is a pretty solid radius arm, springs, shocks, adjustable track bar, etc. All the parts I could see just looking at without getting completely under the truck on a creeper looked solid. My last truck had a Carli lift with a few Thuren parts thrown in the mix so I'm used to looking at some pretty good quality stuff.

Here is a .

Here is a .

#20 ·
So, for those who think it isn't advisable to do anything I suggested, what would be your solution? This dealership wants to resolve the case. Do I do nothing? Don't even engage with them to remedy the situation? What do I tell the state Motor Vehicle Commission is the resolution? Was I supposed to not report anything and let them get away with breaking the law?

#71 ·
I'm guessing its because his current truck doesn't have a lift and tires and the OP doesn't have the money to purchase those things for his current truck. He needs to finance those mods and build it into the truck payment on top of his negative equity that he will have trading his truck. He will be buying a 90K truck in the end.

R.K.

#22 ·
I would keep your current truck. I think you'll lose too much trading it in....If you really want the lift see what kind of deal they can give you on the lift installed on your current truck. Lastly, I would like to see pics of your Pearl white Night Edition.....I had a 2017 just like that.

#23 ·
Figuring, after reading this and watching the first video, that I am way too old and practical for this whole topic.

Can't understand how the dealer set a price, you did not want to pay that much and walked and it is the dealers' fault. Unless you paid and got screwed with the product it just seems to be nothing but verbiage to me. Dealer doesn't meet the price you thought it would be then do what you did - walk. Dealers advertise lots of stuff that does not exist in reality. You were smart if money was the big issue.

As for that lifting business, sad to see such a nice vehicle ruined with tires sticking way out the sides. Every piece of road debris run over is thrown out all over the outside of the truck and maybe back onto following traffic. Not only do you destroy and degrade your expensive truck with that mess, you threaten the safety of others following. Operators without full fenders or mudflaps to cover those tires should be stopped, fined and maybe arrested as a threat to others. Pity the poor motorcyclist stuck behind and struck with debris from those exposed tires.

What is even more ludricious is people pay good money to degrade their vehicles and be a threat on the highway. Be glad you did not buy that mess.

As for the huge radio and all those high-tech features just be ready for trouble. Technology gone amuck is expensive trouble for little real value. Then add the distraction of all those controls and you have another obstical to attention and being a safe driver.

Keep what you have, enjoy, save your money and use the transportation for what it is - movement from point A to point B with minimal distraction good comfort and safety.

#27 ·
I'm sorry you feel that way in regards to lifts and what the purpose of a vehicle is, sir. I enjoy driving. I like the look of a leveled to lightly lifted truck and slightly aggressive wheels and tires. I enjoy technology. I am very happy with the safety features that technology brings. I like having a nice looking vehicle and enjoy customizing things to my liking. So, in the humble words of the Dude, "well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man."

Personally I don't like super high trucks, but I did enjoy my previous truck with a 4" lift. I also don't personally like tires that stick out a whole lot, but I do like an inch or so extended. I like deep dish wheels, but 12-14" wheels are too excessive for me. No matter what I end up doing the wheels from my previous truck (22"x10.5" with -25 offset) are going to go on this truck. It results in about 1 to 1.5" of tires tread past the flares. I've NEVER had a single issue with road debris being slung up onto the truck in 7 years driving like that. No paint chips. The most I'd get is the same as any other truck which is dirty water lifted up onto the side of my truck when turning.

As for a road hazard? Sure, excessively wide wheels that stick out most of the tread can be a danger. I'm not doing that and not looking to. I don't feel that a slight stick out is dangerous, especially considering there's probably 18" high of unobstructed tire to kick up road debris on the rear wheels of these trucks. What's especially funny is you mentioned motor cycles and motor cycles are explicitly exempt from having fenders or any wheel coverings to minimize water or debris spray for following motorists. Funnily enough, the worst road debris incident I've been a victim of was a drive shaft falling off of a non-modified, stock Jeep and catapulting into my grill, across my hood, and into my windshield.

I've ridden in and driven many trucks in my life and I can honestly say that this "technology gone amuck" as you refer to the 12" screen is by far the most user friendly and least distracting radio/climate control setup I've ever had to use. It's virtually hands free. There are large physical buttons for volume and temperature control (though I think t can be voice activated too) which don't require me to look down where normal HVAC controls would be, all audio controls are either steering wheel mounted or available by voice command, and all detailed menus, options, and data input prompts are disabled while in motion. The surround view camera (coupled with parking sensors) is another "technology gone amuck" that makes these trucks exponentially more safe than any vehicle built 10 years ago.

#29 ·
So you went to the dealer, could not get the advertised price, turned them in for false advertising, bought your truck at another dealer and they want to "give" you something to make it right?

This should turn out well.

Watch for the thread; Dealer screwed up my truck.

#30 ·
So you went to the dealer, could not get the advertised price, turned them in for false advertising, bought your truck at another dealer and they want to "give" you something to make it right?

This should turn out well.

Watch for the thread; Dealer screwed up my truck.
Excellent summary!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Pretty sure I said stay far away, you don’t owe them nothing. Why would you entertain letting them do any type of work on the truck you bought from another dealer only to have to deal with them if they screw something up. Let them get what they deserve from the state of Louisiana and move on.

#32 ·
Had something similar happen here at our local Stealer , 5 years ago their was a internet advertising a 2014 Cummins , Basically Price with discounts , We Got Dang i did not qualify for not one of those discounts??? They appraised my 2015 GMC for trade gave me a good amount and i sat in the Damn booth for 3 friggin hrs.. Loan approved blah blah blah . Had a check for extra down payment ect , So i said well now were back to the original Retail price 6 grand more than with discounts that nobody will ever qualify for ? So i said look pal i aint got all friigen day , I love the truck and gave a offer of 1000 less than Retail . He checks with his manager and turns it down ..LMFAO I said WTF . Slid my hand across his desk grabbed my check and said give my back my one year old GMC 2500 and F yourself . They still call me asking about the sale ? Just move on ! :wink2: Still have the GMC and got the Cummins

#33 ·
My local dealership broke the law.
...Keep in mind they unequivocally broke the law.
Until a court makes a judgement against them, it's only your opinion that they broke the law. If you think they broke the law, hire a lawyer. Or at a minimum, take them to small claims court. Talking about it on the internet is a waste of time.

#34 ·
Well I did do something about it. I filed a complaint with their governing regulatory agency. They were contacted and have a chance to resolve their wrongdoing. This isn't semantics. They did something that is clearly spelled out as illegal. Also, I should add that while it's technically possible for a similar situation to occur where someone can take them to court to adjudicate the claim that they broke the law, in this case the LMVC can make that determination. The dealer can then fight that claim either in court or before the LMVC board.

§719.Dealer Price Advertising
A. The featured price of a new or used vehicle, when advertised, must be the full cash price for which the vehicle will be sold to any and all members of the buying public. The only charges that may be excluded from the advertised price are:
1. state and local taxes;
2. license;
3. title; and
4. notarial fees, convenience fees and documentary fees.
B. A qualification may not be used when advertising the price of a vehicle such as "with trade," "with acceptable trade," "with dealer-arranged financing," "rebate assigned to dealer" or "with down payment."
C. If a price advertisement of a new vehicle discloses a rebate, cash back, discount savings claim, or other incentive, the full cash price of the vehicle must be disclosed as well as the price of the vehicle after deducting the incentive. The following is an acceptable format for advertising a price with rebates and other deductions.

Mfg. Sugg. Retail Price $9,995
less rebate $500
less dealer discount $500
Sale Price $8,995
Lastly, I'm not "talking about it on the internet". I filed a report and the LMVC acknowledged that there was wrongdoing. The dealership is offering restitution and I'm trying to find a meaningful and fair way to get that. If you don't have any substantive ideas for achieving that, goodbye.

#38 ·
Ask for a non expiring coupon (with value you feel is proper compensation) redeemable by anyone and transferable that can be presented at anytime prior to actually signing paperwork in finance department. Use coupon on your next purchase or sell coupon to friend.

#39 ·
Okay, alot going on in this thread, lol.

1. I'm with you, alot of car dealers are scum. Learned that the same way as you, when I'd signed on the dotted line on a new truck for an agreed to price and 8 hours later after getting jerked around on some dealer trade bs, they had the wrong color truck and wouldn't honor the price in writing (with a deposit down they required to do the dealer trade, which started out as bringing the truck from the rail depot yard, to trading with some dealer 100mi away). Dealers are like gear lube. Really greasy and can't get the stink off of you for a while!

2. If you want to force your hand to get the lift and wheels on your current truck, have at it. If they actually agreed to that, they know you can make their lives difficult......or they're just going to try and bait and switch you again, once your truck that you didn't buy from them is on their lift for 4 days and you want/need it back and there's some "issue" that popped up that only more money from you will solve. I see that as a strong possibility and to be weighed as a risk against the reward of a free lift kit, wheels and power steps.

3. You may be admittedly mechanically inclined, but your posts are contradictory and you're showing your ignorance, as this whole Rocky Ridge Company deal screams cheapo lifts and wheels and generally a ripoff. No brands/specs/specifics on the lifts and the wheels in the pics look like $189 Amazon garbage and this does not appear to be of concern to you. (Cheap junk suspension on a brand new $70k truck) Plus you said, you like a mild lift, leveled, etc and you're going for a 6" on a new HD truck? Make up your mind, because those are 2 totally different things.

If I had enough of a beef with the dealer, I'd find a way to push the issue and get their shady practices exposed and hopefully impact them financially.
Or, if I was in my shoes and too busy with the rest of my life to actually care about one car dealers bs, I'd likely just move on and mark them on my map of places not to stop, ever.

You did a GREAT job of not falling for their bait n switch and it's infuriating, understandably. But don't be too tempted to buy into their offer.
Now, if you could get them to float you a, say, $9793 gift certificate....or $5000 gift cert because it aint a $10k lift to use at your discretion, elsewhere, that might be attractive.

And then still report them and their bullchit AFTER they bribe you to shut up!

#40 ·
3. You may be admittedly mechanically inclined, but your posts are contradictory and you're showing your ignorance, as this whole Rocky Ridge Company deal screams cheapo lifts and wheels and generally a ripoff. No brands/specs/specifics on the lifts and the wheels in the pics look like $189 Amazon garbage and this does not appear to be of concern to you. (Cheap junk suspension on a brand new $70k truck) Plus you said, you like a mild lift, leveled, etc and you're going for a 6" on a new HD truck? Make up your mind, because those are 2 totally different things.

If I had enough of a beef with the dealer, I'd find a way to push the issue and get their shady practices exposed and hopefully impact them financially.
Or, if I was in my shoes and too busy with the rest of my life to actually care about one car dealers bs, I'd likely just move on and mark them on my map of places not to stop, ever.

You did a GREAT job of not falling for their bait n switch and it's infuriating, understandably. But don't be too tempted to buy into their offer.
Now, if you could get them to float you a, say, $9793 gift certificate....or $5000 gift cert because it aint a $10k lift to use at your discretion, elsewhere, that might be attractive.

And then still report them and their bullchit AFTER they bribe you to shut up!
Thanks for the constructive reply.

The lift: since the call back from them and the request of a remedy from them caught me off guard I asked for a lift the same size as the one they had on that truck. The goal was to get them thinking and working on something to see how far they would go. The entire purpose of this thread was to get advice on where to go from here.

The wheels/tires: no matter what truck I got I was always going to put my previous wheels back on. If I would have gotten the original truck, they would have been off the truck and for sale within a day.

Here's the update I just got from the dealer. They offered a 6" Readylift for $2400. I don't want it as a Readylift appears to actually be a cheap low quality lift. But I just listened to what he had to say and will weigh asking for something else now that I know what they are willing to do. More importantly, I got him to agree to putting in writing his promise that their dealership will honor the powertrain warranty no matter if it's lifted or not.

#42 ·
Just report them and move on. I don't understand why you are on here asking "what do i do". If you go back to them even after they are offering you something "for free", then you are indeed a sucker. I would politely go tell them to F themselves and then fill out a few more negative reviews online. That will do more lasting harm than anything. Find a dealer that actually is good to you and support them.

#47 ·
This!!! I also don't understand why you're on the internet talking about it. You're in a position to afford a SEVENTY THOUSAND DOLLAR truck... buy your $70,000 truck elsewhere, file reports/complaints against the original dealership, and stop worrying about a bit of relative pocket change. Seventy. Thousand. Dollars.

edit - I realize some trucks go for more than that, and/or are worth that after upgrades. I don't care, and that's not the point.

#44 ·
^Yeah, the stealer just pissed backwards 100%. A $1600 cheapo lift kit with 5 hours of shop labor built into the great "price" they gave you is them peeing up your leg and telling you it's raining.
Now they aren't even interested in giving you shut up money.
Screw em and do what you can to make it difficult for them if you have the time and desire to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.