Need Advice: Dealership Broke Law. Suggest a reasonable remedy. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need Advice: Dealership Broke Law. Suggest a reasonable remedy.

My local dealership broke the law. I had been in discussion with them regarding a 2019 Ram 2500 with a Rocky Ridge upgrade package (6" lift, 20" wheels, 37" tires, power steps). MSRP was $72,970 and accessories were listed with a supplementary sticker for an additional $9,793. Originally the website only showed the MSRP with the Employee Pricing taking off around $10k. When I visited the salesman said they wouldn't sell it for the price listed online due to the added features. I had a suspicion it was against the law and told him so. He said he had been telling the same thing to his managers but they never changed the price. At that point I didn't do enough digging to KNOW it was against the law. The next day the online price reflects the MSRP, added accessories, with discounts of Employee Pricing. Bringing the sale price down back near MSRP. They wouldn't do a deal or accept my offer of my trade (valued at $30k) plus $40k including TTL. Fast forward a few days and I purchase another vehicle from another dealer.

The next day I see online that they now have it listed for less money than I offered them: MSRP ($72,970) + Accessories ($9,793) - Employee pricing ($8,440) - Dealer Discount ($9,772) = Sales Price ($64,551) - another discount ($1,000) = *dealership name* Price ($63,551). Louisiana Code Title 46, Part V, Chapter 7 shows that that format is legally binding. They cannot advertise a "Sales Price" or any other form of "Price" and not accept that offer. The law even gives the required format for listing an MSRP, discounts, and final price. I inquired about it to the salesman and he stated that they would not sell the truck for $63,551 or $64,551. I got it in writing via text. On the phone he also told me none of the vehicles they have listed online that have accessories have the correct price. I informed them I would contact the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission. The truck has since sold. LMVC has since contacted me and agreed with my assessment. The dealership contacted me last night and wants to resolve the issue. I suspect if I don't withdraw the claim they'll have to pay a fine and/or this unlawful advertising report will go onto their record.

Now comes the resolution. They offered to let me pick out a truck, they'd install the accessories, and I could purchase it for the price they listed. The problem is I now have a "new" 2019 Ram 2500 with over 1,000 miles which they'd have to sell as USED, so they would be able to stick it to me on trade in. Truth be told I only have $61k tied up in the truck (2019 Ram 2500 Laramie- MSRP of $72,670). He agreed that the trade in would be low so asked if I could give him an alternative solution. I suggested if he could get me the same lift as the original truck at cost with factory warranty, I'd accept that. He said he'd see what he could do and get back to me on Monday.

I'm interested to see what they'll come back with and also thinking of just going in to see what they would give me for my truck as a trade.

What do you guys think? Whats a fair resolution to this? Keep in mind they unequivocally broke the law. I don't want to take advantage of them but I feel some restitution is warranted. I need some opinions ASAP! Thanks!

2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4. Pearl White, Night Edition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:04 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucowboy View Post
... I don't want to take advantage of them but I feel some restitution is warranted. I need some opinions ASAP! Thanks!

Why? If they are in violation of the law and face fines, Id bet youre not the only person whos been wronged.

Id not purchase anything from them and let the law/governing body do what they do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Outdoorsman/ARE V Topper w/ Yakima Rack/Bedrug/D-Z tailgate assist/Thuren 2" Overland Leveling Kit/
Method "Mesh" 18x9 +18/Toyo Open Country R/T 35/12.50 x 18/Amp Power Steps
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Cummins Fan

I sure wouldn't trade. They will hammer you on that. I think you are thinking correctly by trying to get them to install everything you want, the only thing with that is would you trust them if you can't trust the way they list their prices?? Maybe just see if they will cut you a check to get you to drop the complaint.
studebaker51 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

A lot of people forget about using the better business burrow. When someone makes a complaint about a business, they are guilty till they prove otherwise.
Sorry for your bad luck. Im thankfull I have had good luck with buying mine and the 3 different dealers I had to deal with to get warranty work done were nice.

2015 2 door 4x4 tradesman.
Travel full time.
Retired lineman.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I doubt the truck would have handled
safely with that brand lift anyway.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue02 View Post
I sure wouldn't trade. They will hammer you on that. I think you are thinking correctly by trying to get them to install everything you want, the only thing with that is would you trust them if you can't trust the way they list their prices?? Maybe just see if they will cut you a check to get you to drop the complaint.
I don't think they'd cut me a check and that just makes me feel like I'm trying to extort them. They did wrong, sure. But I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for that.

As far as trusting them, I'd for sure want to see invoices and try to verify the dealer cost for the parts with another dealer/vendor. I'm also going to be adamant about getting whatever they do included in the powertrain warranty.

post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderson View Post
I doubt the truck would have handled
safely with that brand lift anyway.
What do you mean? Have you seen bad reviews of the Rocky Ridge trucks? I looked online and couldn't find many reviews of them. The system looked pretty professional from the limited time I spend looking over the truck. I'm sure they'll find another brand lift that they can buy anyways.

post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman1234 View Post
A lot of people forget about using the better business burrow. When someone makes a complaint about a business, they are guilty till they prove otherwise.
Sorry for your bad luck. Im thankfull I have had good luck with buying mine and the 3 different dealers I had to deal with to get warranty work done were nice.
I thought about BBB, but from everything I read it looks like they don't take complaints unless a transaction occured. Since they refused the sale to me, it didn't seem like I had any recourse. I think I also saw they recommend contacting the state AG or Motor Vehicle Commission if laws are broken. After looking at everything I could find, the Motor Vehicle Commission seemed like the appropriate place to file a complaint. I suppose I could file with the AG too to put more pressure on them, but the MVC is responsible for approving their license to sell cars in the state. It's their governing body.

post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Diesel Freak

The law should contain a section on the penalties for violations. Knowing it might help you set your course of action. One thing, no matter what you get out of it - something or nothing - doing something is being a good citizen. Go get em.

2015 RAM 3500 CC LB SRW, 4x4, Aisin, BigHorn, 8.4an, Husky-X, Duraflap, cabin air filter, LTX MS/2, Maxiscan MS310, Super Z cables, US Cargo 60K recovery strap. Also 1998.5 NV4500, RWD
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Cummins Nut

I would stay far away from them, let the state of Louisiana deal with the bites. How many others have they screwed, carma comes around
studebaker51, Compshooter and RayK like this.

3500 MegaCab Dually 4X4
6.7L Aisin Trans
4:10 Gears
385 Hp 930 Tq
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

thank you

Quote:
I thought about BBB, but from everything I read it looks like they don't take complaints unless a transaction occured. Since they refused the sale to me, it didn't seem like I had any recourse. I think I also saw they recommend contacting the state AG or Motor Vehicle Commission if laws are broken. After looking at everything I could find, the Motor Vehicle Commission seemed like the appropriate place to file a complaint. I suppose I could file with the AG too to put more pressure on them, but the MVC is responsible for approving their license to sell cars in the state. It's their governing body.
Thanks, I didn't know about the purchase part. I helped a campground owner defend himself from a few nutcases. They called BB and complained that his electric rate was 2 cents higher than a local house. A business will have a demand meter that charges extra when high demand/load is placed on the system, and he has to do upkeep on his side of stuff and pay for safety lighting.

2015 2 door 4x4 tradesman.
Travel full time.
Retired lineman.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
My local dealership broke the law. I had been in discussion with them regarding a 2019 Ram 2500 with a Rocky Ridge upgrade package (6" lift, 20" wheels, 37" tires, power steps). MSRP was $72,970 and accessories were listed with a supplementary sticker for an additional $9,793. Originally the website only showed the MSRP with the Employee Pricing taking off around $10k. When I visited the salesman said they wouldn't sell it for the price listed online due to the added features. I had a suspicion it was against the law and told him so. He said he had been telling the same thing to his managers but they never changed the price. At that point I didn't do enough digging to KNOW it was against the law. The next day the online price reflects the MSRP, added accessories, with discounts of Employee Pricing. Bringing the sale price down back near MSRP. They wouldn't do a deal or accept my offer of my trade (valued at $30k) plus $40k including TTL. Fast forward a few days and I purchase another vehicle from another dealer.

The next day I see online that they now have it listed for less money than I offered them: MSRP ($72,970) + Accessories ($9,793) - Employee pricing ($8,440) - Dealer Discount ($9,772) = Sales Price ($64,551) - another discount ($1,000) = *dealership name* Price ($63,551). Louisiana Code Title 46, Part V, Chapter 7 shows that that format is legally binding. They cannot advertise a "Sales Price" or any other form of "Price" and not accept that offer. The law even gives the required format for listing an MSRP, discounts, and final price. I inquired about it to the salesman and he stated that they would not sell the truck for $63,551 or $64,551. I got it in writing via text. On the phone he also told me none of the vehicles they have listed online that have accessories have the correct price. I informed them I would contact the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission. The truck has since sold. LMVC has since contacted me and agreed with my assessment. The dealership contacted me last night and wants to resolve the issue. I suspect if I don't withdraw the claim they'll have to pay a fine and/or this unlawful advertising report will go onto their record.

Now comes the resolution. They offered to let me pick out a truck, they'd install the accessories, and I could purchase it for the price they listed. The problem is I now have a "new" 2019 Ram 2500 with over 1,000 miles which they'd have to sell as USED, so they would be able to stick it to me on trade in. Truth be told I only have $61k tied up in the truck (2019 Ram 2500 Laramie- MSRP of $72,670). He agreed that the trade in would be low so asked if I could give him an alternative solution. I suggested if he could get me the same lift as the original truck at cost with factory warranty, I'd accept that. He said he'd see what he could do and get back to me on Monday.

I'm interested to see what they'll come back with and also thinking of just going in to see what they would give me for my truck as a trade.

What do you guys think? Whats a fair resolution to this? Keep in mind they unequivocally broke the law. I don't want to take advantage of them but I feel some restitution is warranted. I need some opinions ASAP! Thanks!
I have never seen a dealer offer employee pricing and a big dealer discount. I get Ram employee pricing through my employer. If I recall correctly...been a while since I bought my 2012 new...it is 1% below invoice plus current factory incentives. If a dealer has a big "dealer discount" they are already near invoice. Good luck on getting them to lose money.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
steelhead1 likes this.

'12 Lone Star 3500 4x4 (SRW), CCLB, 6.7L, 3.73LS, 68RFE, Airlift 7500XL Bags, Autometer Boost & EGT, Banks CAI (w/Outwears Pre-Filter), Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Door Vinyl Delete, DualLiner, Hellwig Sway Bar, HBS 2", Carli Control Arms, & 19.5 Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode