Employee Pricing - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Employee Pricing

I've posted some about my frustration with getting the right deal on a new 2500. I'm trying to understand the so called "Employee Pricing", which calculates out to about a 14% discount. I assumed it was a factory subsidized promotion (in addition to rebates). I'm finding that all the dealers in So Cal are sticking pretty close to that price, with little to no dealer discount on top of that. It seems that some deals were better before the "Employee Pricing" with many reporting in the range of 20% off or even more. Also, my observations are that many dealers were giving discounts of at least what the "Employee Pricing" discount was before the promotion started--which I assume would have been out of their profit margin. So if the "Employee Pricing" is factory subsidized, would that not mean that if the dealer is selling at the same price as the pre-promo price, that their profit margin would be greater, and/or that they would still have room for a dealer discount?
I don't know if I'm articulating this properly, but does anyone have any "inside" info on what the "Employee Pricing" is relative to dealer cost pre/post promo, as far as hold backs, etc? I'm mean we're at year end/model year end, and the deals aren't that great--you can get more off of a 1500 that costs much less. It almost seems like a wash. BTW, I'm looking at Longhorn/Limited trim levels if that matters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:27 PM
Diesel Head

Employee pricing, less any incentives, less 1/2 the hold-back would be a start. I'd check the Costco deal too.

Think about extras the dealer could through in to make you happy.

Good luck.

2008 3500 Big Horn SRW LB 4X4 Auto White P3 Trailer Brake Control
post #3 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:31 PM
Diesel Freak

I’ve found that the dealer prices minus their advertised discounts is pretty much the final price. Very little negotiation beyond that, at least In SoCal. Check Huntington Beach ram. They r a high volume dealer.

'19 Mega Cab 3500 HO SRW 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Employee pricing, less any incentives, less 1/2 the hold-back would be a start. I'd check the Costco deal too.

Think about extras the dealer could through in to make you happy.

Good luck.

How do I find out what the hold-back is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 01:12 AM

Had my sales person contact me about it. I told them i was waiting for a bigger rebate. Since i get employee pricing plus rebates anyways. She tried to tell me this was the biggest sale of the year... i said let me break this down for you. 10k off for employee pricing. 5k to invoice and a 5k rebate here. That 5k to invoice is mine already so its null and void. Now when truck month rolls out with 10k off msrp ill be 5k cheaper than your employee pricing. Call me back when that happens. What pisses me off is they only offer rebates on 80k trucks around here. Lots of city boys that buy them to look cool
Stringmaster likes this.
post #6 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 02:14 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
How do I find out what the hold-back is?

2 percent of the total vehicle Invoice, though the actual amount of the Dealer Holdback can actually range from zero to 3 percent of the total vehicle Invoice according to google.
Stringmaster likes this.

2008 3500 Big Horn SRW LB 4X4 Auto White P3 Trailer Brake Control
post #7 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 06:36 AM
Cummins Fanatic

On the last two trucks I have bought, I have got just about 24.5% off of MSRP if that helps any.

2020 2500 Laramie Night Edition MCSB
2017 2500 SLT CCLB - EZ-Lynk by CTT, mild built trans
1997 F350 DRW - big injectors & loud noises
post #8 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 AM
Cummins Fan

check out this website: https://fightingchance.com/

Sounds like you have your truck picked out so this should help - it shows invoice cost on the vehicle, and all the options you want. It's not a gimmick, i'm not affiliated with them in any way, but i have used it in the past and it works in negotiating the best deal with a dealer because you are better armed with information before going to the negotiating table. Best of luck with your new purchase!

For the past 4 vehicles I've always bought used, with 10k-15k miles on them. I want someone else to take the initial hit. But i have less negotiating room, i have to work most of the deal on my trade-in. It's all a numbers and odds game. Kinda like fishing. Eventually something's gonna bite, just gotta use the right bait.
post #9 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFLBret View Post
check out this website: https://fightingchance.com/

Sounds like you have your truck picked out so this should help - it shows invoice cost on the vehicle, and all the options you want. It's not a gimmick, i'm not affiliated with them in any way, but i have used it in the past and it works in negotiating the best deal with a dealer because you are better armed with information before going to the negotiating table. Best of luck with your new purchase!

For the past 4 vehicles I've always bought used, with 10k-15k miles on them. I want someone else to take the initial hit. But i have less negotiating room, i have to work most of the deal on my trade-in. It's all a numbers and odds game. Kinda like fishing. Eventually something's gonna bite, just gotta use the right bait.
Interesting read there. Like the site says after 12/26 and before 1/1 for the best deal, I agree, but on a Cummins if you are particular on the model, options etc, that truck may not be there after the 26’th. Now if u dont care on color or 2500 vs 3500 etc, sure I bet u can wait that long, but its been my experience that most dealers are shooting this years model out the door faster at a more aggressive price so they dont have to lower the prices so much in the very last days.

Also, price off of msrp has a whole lot to do with the cost of the truck, for example a Laramie is generally marked down more than a tradesman. Im a tradesman guy, 6 of them now from 13’ on, and usually the best deal I have landed was about 12k off msrp.

I would be curious to hear what the Tradesman crowd gets off msrp...

19 CCLB tradesman 68rfe
2002 24 Valve
Previous trucks-most of them to 2018.
post #10 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I’m mainly looking at a Limited, and they are mostly at around 10k off—percentage wise they seem to be discounted less than some of the other trims. Some have been sitting on the lots for a long time and they still won’t budge! Maybe after the 26th?

post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:08 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I’m mainly looking at a Limited, and they are mostly at around 10k off—percentage wise they seem to be discounted less than some of the other trims. Some have been sitting on the lots for a long time and they still won’t budge! Maybe after the 26th?

U call Dave Smith and Dennis Dillon?

19 CCLB tradesman 68rfe
2002 24 Valve
Previous trucks-most of them to 2018.
post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj1514 View Post
U call Dave Smith and Dennis Dillon?

Just contacted Dave via email and waiting to hear back. A bit nervous dealing out of state—especially in the winter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode