Diesel fuel additive

Do I need to be using power service every time I fill my 2019 ram 6.7? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:14 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Noooooooooooo!

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No? Why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Cummins Fan

Because it’s not necessary, despite what their ads will try to sell you.
Gr8bawana likes this.

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:08 PM
US ARMY Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdiesel44 View Post
Do I need to be using power service every time I fill my 2019 ram 6.7? Thanks
No, you don't have too.....but I do about every time....I use Power Service...the reason being I have an auxiliary tank in the bed so I pour it into my 60 gallon tank....maybe not every tank. If I'm running through it on a long trip...I don't use as much....but I definitely do when I don't run her much and it sits in the tank for a couple of weeks.
canningjs likes this.

'19 Laramie 3500 CCSW SRW 4X4, Aisin 3:73's
SOLD: '17 Laramie 2500 CCSW 4X4 3.42's
SOLD: '11 Laramie 3500 CCSW SRW 4X4 3:73's
SOLD: '08 Laramie 2500 CCSW 4X4 3:73's "2Timothy1:7"
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdiesel44 View Post
No? Why
What does the manual say?

-39C (ambient) this morning, and for most this week, so I do have the white (winter) power service in the tank to be safe.
Jimmy N. likes this.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Diesel Freak

I understand Cummins recommends it. I have no idea why - they aren't known to have given a reason.

I doubt, as has been said, that it is because they get a kickback. It would be a trivial amount versus something like x brand diesel fuel - or tires - or recommending their own additive. I find a significant MPG increase and engine quieting when I use it in my mildly modified 1998.5 24 valve. I find NO difference when I use it in my 2015. I've tried it, on and off, many times and observed no effect. The high mileage drivers here seem to have tried it, and report no detectable benefit. People from the far north and deep south report no detectable benefit. people from dry and humid climates report no detectable benefits. Heavy haulers to semi-monthly grocery getters report no detectable benefit. I've never heard of a warranty denial for not using it.

If you're not included in one of those groups give it a try and let us know the result. Otherwise join the crowd of happy non-users.

2015 RAM 3500 CC LB SRW, 4x4, Aisin, BigHorn, 8.4an, Husky-X, Duraflap, cabin air filter, LTX MS/2, Maxiscan MS310, Super Z cables, US Cargo 60K recovery strap. Also 1998.5 NV4500, RWD
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Location: We are full-time travelers in our Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel, so wherever we park it.
Per a reputable independent diesel only repair service I have had work done and trust, "because the advent of modern diesel fuel is woefully low in critical chemistry ie. lubricity, cetane etc. and is essentially very dry fuel", they recommend adding a diesel fuel additive, whichever brand you choose with each fill-up and no more than every other fill-up. I have seen no reliable evidence to the contrary and have no reason to question them. Considering the cost of these trucks it seems like false economy to save on either not using or minimally adding a diesel additive. So I add it at every fill-up.

Regards, Bruce
Big Horn 3500 Cummins TD Dually AISIN Tranny
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,984 Posts
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Per a reputable independent diesel only repair service I have had work done and trust, "because the advent of modern diesel fuel is woefully low in critical chemistry ie. lubricity, cetane etc. and is essentially very dry fuel", they recommend adding a diesel fuel additive, whichever brand you choose with each fill-up and no more than every other fill-up. I have seen no reliable evidence to the contrary and have no reason to question them. Considering the cost of these trucks it seems like false economy to save on either not using or minimally adding a diesel additive. So I add it at every fill-up.
Because of lackluster “evidence” from “reputable” diesel shops, I use the best.

https://youtu.be/KdzQYEufU68
Gr8bawana and tmartin000 like this.

"I didn't choose the '91.5z lyfe; the '91.5z lyfe chose me."

-Texasz Bilitz
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
What does the manual say?

-39C (ambient) this morning, and for most this week, so I do have the white (winter) power service in the tank to be safe.
I can't relate to that kind of cold so do whatever you need to keep fuel flowing. Sounds like a good place for gasoline.

2008 3500 Big Horn SRW LB 4X4 Auto White P3 Trailer Brake Control
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Saw an interesting test done by a Youtuber (Project Farm). He has some interesting testing on a variety of products.

Here is a video of his testing of diesel additives:

I'm not crazy about some of his tests, however the lubricity and gel tests appear valid and "may" translate to real world benefit.
However, without understanding the emissions differences and corrosion for actual fuel system materials I'll remain skeptical.
Gr8bawana likes this.

2014 3500 4X4 CTD Laramie Crew Short bed
Toy: 2018 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 AM
Cummins Fan

You have to ask yourself why you are adding it.

If you don't trust your local fuel source to have fuel available to battle cold temps, then yes using PS white bottle is going to help your truck.

If you are adding it because you want to add lubricity to your fuel, then there are better products for this if you believe this test.. (and yes I know it's over a decade old..) https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTec...itive_test.pdf

Personally, I have been running thousands of gallons of ULSD from the same fuel station, and the same pump, since ULSD was introduced in Alaska. I've had zero issues from any of my trucks, even those not built when ULSD was a thing. Never a drop of additive.
troverman and Gr8bawana like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode