Missing oil - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Missing oil

I just changed my oil for the first time on my 3500. I'm a little worried because I'm missing a gallon of oil. That's right 4 quarts are just gone, I only recovered 2 gallons. I'm not sure if it was never properly filled from factory? With no MIL and no leaks whatsoever I don't know what the hell happened to 4 quarts of oil? I couldn't have possibly burned 4 quarts of oil with out a single MIL triggered. I have14k miles and I'm scratching my head wondering. The miles are all light load / no load and highway miles. Also changed the fuel filters and air filter. I was blown away with how disgusting the air filter was by the way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191117_135853_509_1574031472037.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	860867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191117_111627_1574031566249.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	767.5 KB
ID:	860869   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191117_104121_1574031629613.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	860873  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Diesel Freak

Hard to believe, but my guess is incorrect factory fill. From now on, check the dipstick before you do anything, so at least you know where it was and where to put it back to. 4 qyarts in 14K miles would show a trace on the floor or inside the tailpipe.

I have heard stories about how clogged the 2019 air filters are, after a few miles. I think the new air inductions system catches more debris and pushes it into the airbox a lot more that the last generation did. Those had the RAM active air that pulled air from behind the fender well area. The 19's get it from the front of the grill.

Question, how did you remove the oil filter? And did you use the mini drain tray under the filter? Also, when you opened the rear fuel filter, did more fuel drain all over the place (and you) or did the drain valve drain all?
tmartin000 likes this.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
Hard to believe, but my guess is incorrect factory fill. From now on, check the dipstick before you do anything, so at least you know where it was and where to put it back to. 4 qyarts in 14K miles would show a trace on the floor or inside the tailpipe.

I have heard stories about how clogged the 2019 air filters are, after a few miles. I think the new air inductions system catches more debris and pushes it into the airbox a lot more that the last generation did. Those had the RAM active air that pulled air from behind the fender well area. The 19's get it from the front of the grill.

Question, how did you remove the oil filter? And did you use the mini drain tray under the filter? Also, when you opened the rear fuel filter, did more fuel drain all over the place (and you) or did the drain valve drain all?

I use a fluted filter socket and a ⅜ ratchet from genos garage. Once the filter is removed I use a filter cap tool from genos garage (the best invention for cummins oil changes ever). I take the cap off pre fill my new filter and clean and attach the filter cap on and fish the new prefilled filter in the the engine compartment. Once in the frame rail I remove the cap and start screwing the prefilled filter on the engine. I also installed the femco drain plugs from genos garage. We run these drains on all of our bus fleets with over 1500 buses with Cummins ISL-G motors here in Southern California and they are amazing. Also the rear fuel filter drain did pretty decent. I captured 16oz of fuel but as soon as I started turning it more fuel did come spilling out. Next time I do it I will close the drain and turn it a few rotations and reopen the drain to help eliminate the additional diesel fuel leaking everywhere.

At this point I assume it was not properly filled from the factory. Moving on I know now that no matter what the air filter has to be replaced every oil and fuel filter change. You are right about the new air dam. But due to the increase on power I think that's why they may have wanted additional air to the engine and the previous ram air didnt cut it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zackolas For This Useful Post:
dgiturbo (11-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,420 Times in 2,399 Posts
Missing oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post

The ram active air pulled air from the front grill, unless active air was active, then pulling from the fender well area as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'10AIRSOLD
'14AIR-FUELSOLD
'17
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Diesel Head

I have to ask: Was it low on the dipstick 14,000 miles ago, did it happen gradually, or did the oil disappear right before the oil change?

Also, was the oil drained hot or cold?

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy N. For This Useful Post:
rmy (11-20-2019)
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackolas View Post
I just changed my oil for the first time on my 3500. I'm a little worried because I'm missing a gallon of oil. That's right 4 quarts are just gone, I only recovered 2 gallons. I'm not sure if it was never properly filled from factory? With no MIL and no leaks whatsoever I don't know what the hell happened to 4 quarts of oil? I couldn't have possibly burned 4 quarts of oil with out a single MIL triggered. I have14k miles and I'm scratching my head wondering. The miles are all light load / no load and highway miles. Also changed the fuel filters and air filter. I was blown away with how disgusting the air filter was by the way.
You drove it 14,000 miles and never checked the oil, not even once?

2019 3500 La Puta (HO) and made in USA 2005 F350 V10.
California roads suck with either truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zinga For This Useful Post:
gsbrockman (11-17-2019), N of 60 (11-18-2019)
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:10 PM
White Lightning

Thanked 6,002 Times in 3,252 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinga View Post
Beat me to it......

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60” C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDR’s, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 176,194 miles and 3,098 hours as of October 26th, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.9)
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinga View Post
Well, we don't know that yet. Until we find out if it was low from the start, or it happened later.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Well, we don't know that yet. Until we find out if it was low from the start, or it happened later.
The way I interpreted it was that this is the first time he changed it himself.

2019 3500 Big Horn DRW
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

This was the first time I changed the oil on this truck. The oil was drained cold and was full about a month or so ago just as it was full this afternoon after it was changed it. The truck has been in the shop several times too. I would have expected it to be checked then possibly too, the tech did sign legal documents stating to have completed a multipoint inspection which include enging oil check. I just can't believe I could possibly be missing 4qts and not have a single leak or check engine light. I'm still baffled.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:13 PM
Diesel Head

If you drained it cold, that explains part of it. At least if you didn't let it drain for a really long time.
Also, did you count what was in the filter?

Not that I'd expect an entire gallon to go missing that way, but a couple of quarts would be feasible, I think.

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:38 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
FWIW, I've checked the oil on my 3500 and learned the first week of ownership that if the truck is on a very very slight incline, the dipstick will report 1 1/2 - 2 quarts low. Our driveway has a slight decline from the street but the slope decreases and is very slight at the garage. When I checked it, the front of the truck was pointed toward the street. Again the incline where I checked it is very very slight. I thought it was odd that it was low, so I checked it at a gas station and was normal.

My Ford isn't as sensitive.

So, it might report the opposite if it's on an decline. If the oil was added and then checked on an decline (rear higher), it could report full, even though it's slightly low.
philhyde likes this.

2019 3500 La Puta (HO) and made in USA 2005 F350 V10.
California roads suck with either truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode