Anyone Install Roof Clearance Lights on a 2019? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Anyone Install Roof Clearance Lights on a 2019?

Title pretty much says it. Has anyone installed roof lights on a 2019 that didn't come with them from the factory?

I can't seem to find any threads for 19, only 18 and earlier. I know MOPAR made this kit for the 13-18 trucks but my searches online haven't found the kit for the 2019 and my local dealers can't find the parts either.

I found a truck I'd be willing to pull the trigger on but not having a clearance lights is a deal breaker. I don't want to buy it and find out after the fact that I can't add clearance lights.

Thanks for any insight you have.

EDIT:

I pressed a different dealer and got this information below.

Clearance lamps: Part # 68362179AD (x5) $76.25 each
Wiring Harness: Part # 52112543AD (x1) $113.00

Note: That wiring harness part number was for a Laramie truck with a moonroof, safety group, and towing technology group. They lead me to believe the wiring harness will be different depending on what options you have but it was very easy for them to look up.

The parts department confirmed the sales code can be added to the truck to make them operate normally. They quoted 5 hours of labor initially to measure another truck that already has them, create a template, and install it on the non-clearance light truck. It'll be a pretty significant cost, IMO worth it because I want them but be prepared to pay more than the 18 and earlier trucks.

Anyways hope this helps anyone else searching.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 AM
Diesel Freak

I'm just guessing here, but I can't imagine that something would stop you from installing the kit. I've installed clearance lights on half a dozen vehicles over the years -- full size vans and pickups -- and it's never more complicated that dropping the headliner and the A-pillar trim, figuring out where the mounting screws go ... avoiding any roof braces .... checking measurements half a dozen times to make sure the arrangement is symmetrical, and drilling a bunch of holes -- and wiring the hot wire into the running light circuit with one of those little automotive clip splices. With LED bulbs you shouldn't need to up-rate the fuse... increase in current draw should be negligible, and generally the bulb nanny circuits only look for too LITTLE draw, not too much.

Let's say the shape of the new roof is slightly different. I don't think it is. I believe the roof panel is one of the few that didn't change at all -- same metal, same thickness. Even if the shape did change a little or a brace moved so that the original Gen 4 lights don't quite fit, you could get some high quality aftermarket units that have thicker gasket bases. I'd like 'em a bit taller anyway, and some classic design shells would look great on the truck.

If you want that truck and it's a great deal, this absolutely should not keep you from getting it... unless you've got a huge fear of drilling or having someone drill into your new truck's roof.

JMHO

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:13 AM
Diesel Freak

I would wait for an official 2019 kit. The new LED lights look way better, and they now use smaller holes and a less leak prone design to boot.

I always had issues with my 3rd and 4th gen cab lights collecting water...

I have a broken 2019 truck.

I also have a working 2004 truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get some updated info from another dealer and I added it to the OP.

It seems like the truck I was looking at, build date of 09/13 on the window sticker, still isn't set to arrive until 11/17. I wonder if the trains are backed up or something. At this point it makes more sense to order so I'll explore that.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolfunction View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was able to get some updated info from another dealer and I added it to the OP.

It seems like the truck I was looking at, build date of 09/13 on the window sticker, still isn't set to arrive until 11/17. I wonder if the trains are backed up or something. At this point it makes more sense to order so I'll explore that.
If thatís the case, then order a 2020!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsturbofreak View Post
If thatís the case, then order a 2020!
That's looking like the smart move. I'm waiting for the official opening of orders / change announcements before I make a decision.
cumminsturbofreak likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Diesel Freak

One word... CanBus

The 2019 uses a very sophisticated CanBus system to run pretty much everything. Gone are the 2018 and older days where you can just "splice" into the harness. Think of trying to splice into a USB cable.
Even if you drilled and mounted the roof lights, you would have to get the CanBus harness to communicate with the truck's computer, and have the computer flashed to authorize those circuits. If you bypassed, the system will see an unauthorized power circuit and either switch it off or trigger a warning light.
Get it with the lights factory if that's what you want. You won't be happy with the headache of trying to get them to work afterwords. 2018 and older yes, easy. 2019+ need CanBus controller.

Also if you do plan on adding anything electrical to the vehicle after it's built, I highly highly recommend you order the AUX switch panel when you order from the factory. It gives you 6 monitored circuits that you can tailor to your demands.

To get an idea of what your in for with a 2019+, see this product on this website called HexEZCan that I had to use just to add extra lights to my 2017 CanBus motorcycle.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
The 2019 uses a very sophisticated CanBus system to run pretty much everything. Gone are the 2018 and older days where you can just "splice" into the harness. Think of trying to splice into a USB cable.
Even if you drilled and mounted the roof lights, you would have to get the CanBus harness to communicate with the truck's computer, and have the computer flashed to authorize those circuits. If you bypassed, the system will see an unauthorized power circuit and either switch it off or trigger a warning light.
Get it with the lights factory if that's what you want. You won't be happy with the headache of trying to get them to work afterwords. 2018 and older yes, easy. 2019+ need CanBus controller.

Also if you do plan on adding anything electrical to the vehicle after it's built, I highly highly recommend you order the AUX switch panel when you order from the factory. It gives you 6 monitored circuits that you can tailor to your demands.

To get an idea of what your in for with a 2019+, see this product on this website called HexEZCan that I had to use just to add extra lights to my 2017 CanBus motorcycle.
Is the circuit of five roof lights on its own CANbus controller ... or are the five roof lights simply wired into the existing running light power circuit? I doubt that the running light circuit is intelligent enough to throw a code when it's sourcing an extra 3 to 5 Watts... and I doubt there'd be good reason to provide a unique CANbus controller for a circuit that's always activated when an existing circuit is. I could be wrong... but there's no good justification for either of those scenarios. That would be like having separate CAN controllers for each of the three rear brake lights. Were I laying out that subsystem as an option -- and I have laid out similar arrangements for other vehicles -- I would provide a convenient 1-way power connector in the common harness that the optional roof wiring would plug into. It's minimum cost and minimum impact, and as we all know, FCA is all about minimizing cost.

It's actually relatively straightforward to splice into a CANbus data line mechanically. A working CANbus ladder is already terminated successfully, so all that's necessary is running shielded taps into both sides of the twisted pair close enough together so that you don't introduce noise into the pair at the junction, and then twist the new branch generally 11 to 13 twists per inch using a pair of 18 to 22 AWG automotive wires ... or a pre-twisted made for CAN twisted pair. You would then route that new twisted pair to your new device. Assigning an address to the new node, and configuring your network controller to issue commands to that address, are, of course, an entirely different matter.

If you want to add entirely new devices and bypass the computers entirely, you can always run a fused line directly from the battery, or a fused line from the hot side of the PDM, before the computer starts messing with the outputs, and use your own switches in the new circuits. You know... the way we all did when we added fog lights to our first cars when we were 16 or 17. That will still work just fine.

As you've noted, if you're trying to add something that's built into a unique CAN-enabled PDM's output pre-designated for that function, then, yes, you need to activate the option and make sure the controller is on the network. But the roof lights aren't a unique function. They're almost certainly wired into the existing running light circuits.

But... I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

JMHOs.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:45 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
The 2019 uses a very sophisticated CanBus system to run pretty much everything. Gone are the 2018 and older days where you can just "splice" into the harness.
LOL stop spreading false information! 2018s are definitely not part of "the old days." We've had to use relays for years now.

The 2019 has the same wiring for cab lights! It runs through an inline connector on the passenger side of the dash through the WH/GRN Park Lamp Feed wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191019-223855~2.png
Views:	35
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	858819  
2Good4U, overactor and Jimmy07 like this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:

Iím seeing the 2019 clearance lights set up the exact same way as the pre-2019s. The feed is still circuit L17 and goes straight to the PDC fuse F79, meaning this is still one feature you can simply plug in, and it will work without programming. Iíd say the inline IP connector is even still present in the passenger A pillar for the cab lights jumper harness to plug into. Iím sure the full kit will be available soon, rather than buy each individual part.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Diesel Freak

2019 clearance lights are LED's. Which means they use a duty cycle. Which means CanBus computer control.
But hey, get a RAM that didn't have them factory installed and go splice away. Or plug into a circuit that the controller hasn't authorized. You will quickly find out that they are different from the "old days"

My "old" 2013 had the base wiring pre installed for dual alternators. Even had the bracket bolt holes. But when a second alternator was added, and the wires plugged in to the factory harness, the alternator gave ZERO output. The dealer had to update the vehicle computer to allow that circuit harness to be active, then I saw voltage.
Thus my 2019 was factory ordered with dual 440 amp alternators. And the AUX switches AND the VSIM package.

If you think I am giving false info, please see page 4 of FCA's RAM Body Builders guide for upfitters. In that chart it shows all the circuits that are monitored, including the clearance light. Please note the section in the chart where it says 70% max continuous for the clearance light circuit. That is a duty cycle circuit.

The group of LED clearance lights, marker lights and the tailgate light bar are monitored together on that circuit, so please also see page 5 where it discusses Over Current (Short) conditions.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
2019 clearance lights are LED's. Which means they use a duty cycle. Which means CanBus computer control.
But hey, get a RAM that didn't have them factory installed and go splice away. Or plug into a circuit that the controller hasn't authorized. You will quickly find out that they are different from the "old days"

My "old" 2013 had the base wiring pre installed for dual alternators. Even had the bracket bolt holes. But when a second alternator was added, and the wires plugged in to the factory harness, the alternator gave ZERO output. The dealer had to update the vehicle computer to allow that circuit harness to be active, then I saw voltage.
Thus my 2019 was factory ordered with dual 440 amp alternators. And the AUX switches AND the VSIM package.

If you think I am giving false info, please see page 4 of FCA's RAM Body Builders guide for upfitters. In that chart it shows all the circuits that are monitored, including the clearance light. Please note the section in the chart where it says 70% max continuous for the clearance light circuit. That is a duty cycle circuit.

The group of LED clearance lights, marker lights and the tailgate light bar are monitored together on that circuit, so please also see page 5 where it discusses Over Current (Short) conditions.
I’m looking right at the schematic. Same as pre-2019s for the clearance lamp circuit. Feed runs straight to the PDC and is triggered by the trailer tow park lamp relay. LEDs do not use a duty cycle (PWM). What you are reading is 70% max allowable CONTINUOUS CURRENT DRAW on THAT fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode