39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I can record it but how do i load it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron37 View Post
The exhaust brake needs a physical connection between the engine and the transmission in order for it to work via the TC being locked so that the input shaft is connected to the output shaft and not by fluid coupling. I would be curious to see a video of what you are describing.
First, I am going by the edge cts2, tranny gauge, and it never shows lockup in 1,2,3, and again rare in 4.
That said, I was out and about yesterday, and on the way back to the campground hear in TX, its a 75mph 4 lane road, I was locked in 6th and manually downshifted to turn in, (down hill) and the EB worked in all 6 gears.
I don't know what to say, it works, maybe it is locked up and the edge don't show it. As long as I have time and space, I can slowly downshift like a truck, and almost come to a stop.
I don't like to shift down to 1, as it gets aggressive. I never use tow haul, it works fine towing or not.
The place that did my tunes, does so many that they are licensed by the company, and do it all off a laptop. They have in stock all stuff to do all 3 name brands, In 3 different levels of delete. I went with full, stage 3. I didn't know anything about the tranny tune till I drove it and the tranny seemed more stout, and wouldn't shift into 5th till 50mph, and it wont shift into 6th until 63mhp. I would guess its not set up to nuts, as he said nothing about head bolts.
I would love to upload a video and audio of it ( I don't know how), or E-mail it to someone to confirm im not nuts and it works in all 6 gears.

2015 2 door 4x4 tradesman.
Travel full time.
Retired lineman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman1234 View Post
First, I am going by the edge cts2, tranny gauge, and it never shows lockup in 1,2,3, and again rare in 4.
That said, I was out and about yesterday, and on the way back to the campground hear in TX, its a 75mph 4 lane road, I was locked in 6th and manually downshifted to turn in, (down hill) and the EB worked in all 6 gears.
I don't know what to say, it works, maybe it is locked up and the edge don't show it. As long as I have time and space, I can slowly downshift like a truck, and almost come to a stop.
I don't like to shift down to 1, as it gets aggressive. I never use tow haul, it works fine towing or not.
The place that did my tunes, does so many that they are licensed by the company, and do it all off a laptop. They have in stock all stuff to do all 3 name brands, In 3 different levels of delete. I went with full, stage 3. I didn't know anything about the tranny tune till I drove it and the tranny seemed more stout, and wouldn't shift into 5th till 50mph, and it wont shift into 6th until 63mhp. I would guess its not set up to nuts, as he said nothing about head bolts.
I would love to upload a video and audio of it ( I don't know how), or E-mail it to someone to confirm im not nuts and it works in all 6 gears.
Sorry, not in 1st gear. No TC lock up. Your charger may clampdown and sound like it, but TC needs to be locked to do anything.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Diesel Freak

After some thought, I thought of another way. Since the OP is asking for such a low speed, activate the downhill speed regulation, and set the speed to the desired rate of decent. I would also verify the trailer brake is in good working order and the gain is set.

In any event, the 2019's are DIFFERENT in many ways, so saying what works on a 18 and older won't help.
I just towed over 700 miles through the Smoky mountains and learned many new for 19 things. The trailer brake settings are totally different from my 13, and my exhaust brake will turn back on after I restart the vehicle. And yes, in tow haul mode with the Automatic Exhaust Brake setting activated, if I hold light brake pressure, the RAM downshifts all the way to first and the exhaust brake triggers with every downshift till about 12MPH? Didn't really take note of the exact MPH. The truck would even aggressively downshift at times to near redline. My 2013 would release the Ex brake activation much sooner.
Will post a thread on my towing observations soon. Big differences. 13-19.
Trowel2013 and lineman1234 like this.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
The Following User Says Thank You to dgiturbo For This Useful Post:
lineman1234 (10-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:54 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

My bad, i got it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
Sorry, not in 1st gear. No TC lock up. Your charger may clampdown and sound like it, but TC needs to be locked to do anything.
(My bad.) So today coming down the hill to the campground from a 75mph speed limit, I watched the edge ( what gear and locked or not locked ) gage. For my , first time down shifting.
AND, it stays locked in all gears but first. BUT, when going to first, it still has EB being applied but don't show the little locked padlock. ( and shifting to first can get aggressive ) for some reason.
Im sorry but first gear does have an aggressive EB. Don't know what to say.
Im just a dumb lineman, no mechanic. But its strange that the gears that don't lock up wile driving , 1,2,3 and 4ish, lock solid wile downshifting, with the trany tune.
Thank you for making me look at the gage, as I have no reason to doubt knowledge, and now I know it locks up down to second, now.
So why if I, at the right time? If I do downshift into first , will it get most aggressive?
I love learning and don't mind being wrong and admitting it.
I love the darn thing, a 2 door, 4+4 tradesman. Stock looking fun thing to drive.
Thanks and sorry for the confusion I caused.
( The original poster, (? could he get a tranny tune and still be stock to be able to keep locked in, second to go down the hill?
N of 60 likes this.

Travel full time.
Retired lineman.
The Following User Says Thank You to lineman1234 For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (10-15-2019)
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman1234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
(My bad.) So today coming down the hill to the campground from a 75mph speed limit, I watched the edge ( what gear and locked or not locked ) gage. For my , first time down shifting.
AND, it stays locked in all gears but first. BUT, when going to first, it still has EB being applied but don't show the little locked padlock. ( and shifting to first can get aggressive ) for some reason.
Im sorry but first gear does have an aggressive EB. Don't know what to say.
Im just a dumb lineman, no mechanic. But its strange that the gears that don't lock up wile driving , 1,2,3 and 4ish, lock solid wile downshifting, with the trany tune.
Thank you for making me look at the gage, as I have no reason to doubt knowledge, and now I know it locks up down to second, now.
So why if I, at the right time? If I do downshift into first , will it get most aggressive?
I love learning and don't mind being wrong and admitting it.
I love the darn thing, a 2 door, 4+4 tradesman. Stock looking fun thing to drive.
Thanks and sorry for the confusion I caused.
( The original poster, (? could he get a tranny tune and still be stock to be able to keep locked in, second to go down the hill?
You aren't dumb at all. The stock 68rfe tuning will allow downshifting and re-lock the TC down to and including 2nd gear. So using the exhaust brake down to 1050-1100 rpm in 2nd gear is completely possible on a stock tune 68rfe. For driveability and reliability most aftermarket tuners don't have it lock up until 3rd or 4th gear. Some tuners will allow you to run 2nd gear lock up while accelerating. In stock tune, the 68rfe will utilize 2nd gear lockup while accelerating in tow haul mode or ERS limited to 2nd gear. The reason most transmissions won't allow 1st gear lock up is in case of TC failure (being stuck locked) it can downshift to 1st and won't stall your engine out so you can still drive.

'14 3500 SLT CCLB SRW 68RFE 3.42
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:42 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiturbo View Post
After some thought, I thought of another way. Since the OP is asking for such a low speed, activate the downhill speed regulation, and set the speed to the desired rate of decent. I would also verify the trailer brake is in good working order and the gain is set.

In any event, the 2019's are DIFFERENT in many ways, so saying what works on a 18 and older won't help.
I just towed over 700 miles through the Smoky mountains and learned many new for 19 things. The trailer brake settings are totally different from my 13, and my exhaust brake will turn back on after I restart the vehicle. And yes, in tow haul mode with the Automatic Exhaust Brake setting activated, if I hold light brake pressure, the RAM downshifts all the way to first and the exhaust brake triggers with every downshift till about 12MPH? Didn't really take note of the exact MPH. The truck would even aggressively downshift at times to near redline. My 2013 would release the Ex brake activation much sooner.
Will post a thread on my towing observations soon. Big differences. 13-19.
I can utilize my EB down to 1040rpm in 2nd gear which equates to 14mph in my '14 equipped with 3.42's. Your '19 has 3.73's so should be able to utilize EB to ~12mph in 2nd gear. I believe you can't have 1st gear lock-up so that means NO EB in 1st gear. If you have a way of videoing it staying locked in first gear and utilizing the EB (via and edge cts2 or scan tool that can show status of the TC) then by all means, I'll believe you. As far as I'm aware the only transmission in a pickup truck that can lock in 1st gear is the new Allison 10L1000. Maybe the new 10r140 can as well but there is not much info on it at this time. The aisin, 68rfe, allison 1000, 6r140, etc, can't lock the TC in first gear; so unless you have a manual transmission you can't have exhaust brake in 1st gear.

'14 3500 SLT CCLB SRW 68RFE 3.42
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Its just strange that I can go from second, ( now seeing it locked ) to 1st, no lock, and it still breaks. ( Might it be just the tranny, and not the EB,) as the tranny just coasts when downshifting without the EB on.
I only tow 8,000lbs for now, I might at some point get a 5ver. Its great to be able to use the EB to slow down and not use any breaks. When I have dumb people behind me, I touch the brake to light up the brake lights, so im not rear ended, wile using the EB.
Im very happy with the tune/s the person did to mine. It does/did, take a bit of getting used to, to have to go 50mph to get it to shift to 5th, then I can slow down to 40 or 45 and it will stay locked in 5th. And have to go 63mph to get it to shift into 6th, then I can slow down to 55mph in a 55 zone. I don't notice much from tow haul to no tow haul.
Thanks for all inputs, as it makes me understand better, but, still don't understand, it slowing down in 1st. ( now someone is going to steel my tranny and put it in the dodge museum.. )) I hope they get it out before the EPA, confiscates my truck and crushes it.

Travel full time.
Retired lineman.
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Diesel Head

OP, if it's really a situation where you are taxing the service brakes to maintain speed (can't see how that's the case and rather you're looking to utilize the convenience of the EB) then a front axle 2 low switch will get all your EB back at low speeds, but you'll have to stop, shift into 4lo and then get our of 4lo at the bottom.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:18 AM
P2609 Fanatic

Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
OP, if it's really a situation where you are taxing the service brakes to maintain speed (can't see how that's the case and rather you're looking to utilize the convenience of the EB) then a front axle 2 low switch will get all your EB back at low speeds, but you'll have to stop, shift into 4lo and then get our of 4lo at the bottom.
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...l#post29113759

-Ej-

2016 Longhorn 3500 4x4 short-bed in Pearl White.
Cummins HO, AISIN, CrewCab, SRW, Ride-Rite remote rear air suspension, Edge CTS2, plus the typical after-market bolt-on crap.
> Reduced current grid heater mod w/all emissions intact.<
*Hauling a 2017 Northstar Arrow-U.
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Garage
My stock trans tuning on my 68 will lock the TC in 3-6 (2-6 in T/H), no matter how aggressive of acceleration. So far the only thing I would change is that when I slow down and need to re-accelerate, it will just unlock the TC (staying in current gear, often 4th or 5th) accelerate gently and then re-lock the TC and upshift normally. What I would prefer is to downshift to lower gear, lock TC, and accelerate like I f-ing want it to. But I guess that is stock tuning for you, gotta make it comfortable and easy going.

Oh and there's the other thing of trying to go into 6th gear at 50 mph, but I easily fix that by just locking out 6th until I see the interstate.

2017 Ram 2500 Limited Crew 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 68RFE, Bone Stock
2001 Chaparral 196 SSI Sport, 5.0 EFI Mercruiser/Alpha, Big Air Vapor Tower Livin' the Dream
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
I came from a Superduty to the Ram. I am not impressed with the pulling power of the Cummins! and I even more disappointed with the engine Braking. I tow a 14000lb fifth wheel, and everytime i get on a steep grade the damn e bake wont come on when i need it most! even with manually shifting the tranny down. works like a charm on the flat ground. I like the Ram a lot!! but I'm actually looking into how much money i will loose switching back to Ford. If i could only have test pulled my camper for my test drive. love the RAM until i put the camper behind it.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Diesel Head

Ranprk, would that be a used or new Ram? A 2500 or a 3500? If 3500 DRW, what gearing?

My 3500 didn't run worth a damn when new, but has improved at lot over the past 6,000 miles. And the exhaust brake has always worked great.

You may have a 2500 with 3.42 gears, which would explain your disappointment with the pulling power, but not why the exhaust brake only works on level ground.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode