Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2019 3500 DRW ride quality

11K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Zinga 
#1 · (Edited)
2019 3500 DRW ride quality?

Over the past 10 years I have owned many Dodge/Ram and Ford heavy duty trucks. I owned two Ram 3500 DRW's - 2012 and 2014. Several years ago I bought the redesigned Ford F-350 and it is a dream with no weight in the bed. Of course you know it's a heavy duty truck, but it rides smooth compared to everything else I have owned.

What is the ride quality like these days in the new Ram 3500? I read that Ram did a lot of work to the frame, but I don't know if it was a clean sheet design.

I want to get back into a Ram, but I put about 2/3 of my miles per year not towing, so I'd like a somewhat comfortable truck.

Edit: I am a full-time RV'er and tow a 18,000lb 5th wheel. Won't rule out going over 20K in the future.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I think the 2019 rides great for a dually.

Even with that said, the best way for YOU to know is go drive one at dealer.:wink2:

#4 ·
I can't say for a dually but my 19 3500 SRW ( I don't know how much difference there is in ride quality from a dually to a SRW) rides 100x's better than my 13' 3500 srw and my 07 3500 srw. I also think it rides better than the F-350 I test drove before I ordered this truck. My truck has the rear air and I have heard that helps with ride also. I haven't driven a 19 that didn't have the air so I couldn't tell you first hand if there was a difference.

#5 ·
I don’t have have a DRW but had a 2017 F350 and now a 2019 3500 Ram. Both had Fox shocks. The front ends ride very similar with the Ford getting the slight nod but the Ford rode much better in the rear. I’ve had many times the Ram sags significantly less while towing because the springs are stiffer but rides worse which I find true.

#6 ·
I don’t have have a DRW but had a 2017 F350 and now a 2019 3500 Ram. Both had Fox shocks. The front ends ride very similar with the Ford getting the slight nod but the Ford rode much better in the rear. I’ve had many times the Ram sags significantly less while towing because the springs are stiffer but rides worse which I find true.

#7 ·
I just purchased a 2019 3500 DRW after driving a 06 F350 DRW and I have to say the 19 rides much better than my old truck. I've never owned a Ram and must say I was surprised when I test drove a couple. I drove all three makes prior to deciding and for my tastes found the Chevrolet to much like a car, the Ford and Ram were very similar, but I chose to purchase my Ram. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Reactions: Jimmy N. and Ckster
#12 ·
Ride comparison

I just got my 2019 Trademan 4x4 3500 DRW 6.7 H.O.with Aisin and 4:10 gears last Sunday. I can say after hauling with it empty or full , honestly in my opinion, it rides great! Here is how I am comparing it with the following trucks I own now.

1. A 2012 Chevy Silverado HD SRW duramax 4x4 3:73 gearing with an Allison. The Chevy shifts the same way as the Allison and the ride quality is quite comparable even with the Chevy having a independent front suspension, which I was shocked! Now as for the seats they are far more superior in design than the 01 and 03 Dodges I have, even being worn some. Lol NOT the 2019 seats though those are comfy, even being just cloth. lol
2. 2 01 Dodge 3500's 4x4 Laramie DRW with 4:30 gears. These 2 will pull like their is no tommorrow, because they are far from stock both tranny and motor wise, but the ride is horrible empty or pulling heavy! My 1970 military duece and half troop transport with the spring loaded seat rides better!! I only keep them because of their pulling power, but man its rough as hell!
3 My 03 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW is the same quality ride pulling as the 01's , but without a load its a hair better for some reason. Lol These cloth seats just were crap from the git go and uncomfortable! That didnt help!
4. 2019 Ram Tradesman Crew Cab 3500 4x4 long box with the new Aisin and 4:10 gears. This thing, so far Lol, is thee best riding truck I have owned so far. Even with not having the upgraded seats that are an option in the Laramie, Long Horn and Limited series trucks.

Hope this makes sense and helps!:wink2:

Reactions: philhyde
#16 ·
I just got my 2019 Trademan 4x4 3500 DRW 6.7 H.O.with Aisin and 4:10 gears last Sunday. I can say after hauling with it empty or full , honestly in my opinion, it rides great! Here is how I am comparing it with the following trucks I own now.

1. A 2012 Chevy Silverado HD SRW duramax 4x4 3:73 gearing with an Allison. The Chevy shifts the same way as the Allison and the ride quality is quite comparable even with the Chevy having a independent front suspension, which I was shocked! Now as for the seats they are far more superior in design than the 01 and 03 Dodges I have, even being worn some. Lol NOT the 2019 seats though those are comfy, even being just cloth. lol
2. 2 01 Dodge 3500's 4x4 Laramie DRW with 4:30 gears. These 2 will pull like their is no tommorrow, because they are far from stock both tranny and motor wise, but the ride is horrible empty or pulling heavy! My 1970 military duece and half troop transport with the spring loaded seat rides better!! I only keep them because of their pulling power, but man its rough as hell!
3 My 03 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW is the same quality ride pulling as the 01's , but without a load its a hair better for some reason. Lol These cloth seats just were crap from the git go and uncomfortable! That didnt help!
4. 2019 Ram Tradesman Crew Cab 3500 4x4 long box with the new Aisin and 4:10 gears. This thing, so far Lol, is thee best riding truck I have owned so far. Even with not having the upgraded seats that are an option in the Laramie, Long Horn and Limited series trucks.

Hope this makes sense and helps!:wink2:
Weird. My 1997 3500 DRW 4x4 rides much better loaded or unloaded than my 2012 3500 SRW 4x4 did. The seats are more comfortable, too.

#23 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback.

I was able to locate a DRW 2019 and went for a test drive today. This specific truck was a mega cab, so I don't know much this configuration affects the ride, but I thought it rode really well. I still think the latest generation F-350 is a bit smoother, but the Ram is not slouch.

#24 ·
I also tried the F350, but I thought it rode rougher, but to each his own opinion.

Reactions: philhyde
#25 ·
I have an F350 DRW and a 2019 3500 DRW. The Ford's payload capacity is slightly higher and it has a stiff ride. The ride quality on the 3500 is plush in comparison but that's what I would expected from 15 years of improvements.

I drove the F350 to the race track yesterday because I knew I'd be driving on dirt road for long distance. The brakes on my F350 still blow away the Ram's brakes for regular driving (not towing). But the exhaust brake on the Ram, plus the new trailer brake electronics, makes the Ram's brakes superior while towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.