Seats - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Seats

A few quick question for anyone who may know. My current 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie has 10-way driver and 6 way passenger adjustable leather seats. Regardless of how she adjusts the passenger seat, my wife can't travel very far before it starts to cause serious issues with her back...

We're (me ) considering a 2019 Ram 3500, and I see they now have both driver and passenger 8 way adjustable. Do any of you know what the extra two on the passenger and loss of two on the driver seat may be? And does anyone know if they changed anything about how the seats are cut, configured built as far and the seating or backrest are structured (aside from any adjustability). Is there extra foam or padding, or is the lumbar set up differently? I'm guessing the 2015-2017/18 are the same seats, then maybe changed them in 2019? I don't have a Ram dealer here to look at or compare the seats, so that's why I'm asking here. Thanks in advance.

2019 Ram 3500, Limited, CC, CTD, 4x4, DRW, Aisin
2017 Ram 3500, Laramie, CC, CTD, 4x4, DRW (selling)
2015 Ram 2500, Laramie, CC CTD, 4x4, SB (traded in)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Cummins Fanatic

The only thing I can tell you if I have a bad back and a 19 Laramie and they are miserable. The seats are so uncomfortable especially on drives. I just time my wife today I was going to have to get a matching recaro seat or something. Goodluck!

12 MC Outdoorsman. 6" carli, DT radius arms, Fox 2.0, Carli springs & more, twin turbo, 37/12.50/20, AMP steps, Deleted, FASS, injectors, EFI Live, Suncoast M3GA
The Following User Says Thank You to 5150 cummins For This Useful Post:
Bolo4u (09-11-2019)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:25 PM
Diesel Head

That really sucks to hear. But having a bad back really sucks. Sciatic nerve problems arising!

"The Big Hurt"
2011 LaRiAt TuXeDo BlAcK ScOrPiOn F250 4X4
1997 Ram 2500 12v 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselRig For This Useful Post:
Bolo4u (09-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
A few quick question for anyone who may know. My current 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie has 10-way driver and 6 way passenger adjustable leather seats. Regardless of how she adjusts the passenger seat, my wife can't travel very far before it starts to cause serious issues with her back...

We're (me ) considering a 2019 Ram 3500, and I see they now have both driver and passenger 8 way adjustable. Do any of you know what the extra two on the passenger and loss of two on the driver seat may be? And does anyone know if they changed anything about how the seats are cut, configured built as far and the seating or backrest are structured (aside from any adjustability). Is there extra foam or padding, or is the lumbar set up differently? I'm guessing the 2015-2017/18 are the same seats, then maybe changed them in 2019? I don't have a Ram dealer here to look at or compare the seats, so that's why I'm asking here. Thanks in advance.
I wasn't interested in the Ram trucks until they included seats that compared to the Ford 10 way seats from 20 years ago. I always thought it was odd that Ram would build trucks for the driver and that was it. I guess no one cared about the passenger until 2019. Oh well - that's history.

I'm fairly certain that the 2019 is a 10 way seat both sides. Here's what mine does. Back/forth (2), recline/upright(2), up/down (2), seat tilt up/down (2), lumbar in/out (2). That's 10. The only downside is that there are only two memory settings, which only works for 1 driver if you folder the mirrors in/out. Maybe they'll upgrade the memory settings and add a third by 2030. LOL.

My wife has back issues and loves the truck(s). She hated the seats in my Jaguar. So, I got rid of it and kept my F350. She thinks the seats in the 2019 3500 are very comfortable and also thought the 2018 seats sucked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

California roads suck with either truck.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Cummins Fanatic

The memory mirrors are saved to each driver position in both up and down configurations. So if you have the mirrors in the down position adjust them and save to your driver 1 position. Then put them in the up position and adjust them and save to your driver 1 position again. After that all you need to do is put the mirror in whichever position you want and push your memory button and they will adjust.
Zinga likes this.

07 cclb 2500, 5.9, auto, AFE CAI, 4" aero exhaust, AD-150, Torklift superhitch, Isspro ev2 gauges, Firepunk comp1 built and Efilive tuned by me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superwagon For This Useful Post:
Ram4Sam (09-12-2019), Zinga (09-12-2019)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I don't think any years had very comfortable seats. For a fraction of what the OEM seats cost you can get a much better fit with an aftermarket brand seat. I replaced mine with Corbeau Suspension recliner seats for about $390.00 ea. They're incredibly comfy. I'm surprised at how cheap they are. If you want to spend the $$$ you can get them in Italian leather, but why?

03 Dodge SHO QCLB Dually w/Custom side exit exhaust-Banks intercooler-4" side draft intake-Thuren 3.0 Argon filled Shocks-radius arms-SRW 4 link Conversion-17"methods-42" Squishy's- 4.56's-Griffin Radiator-elec fans & water pump=25.263 mpg legit.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Thanks to all for the replies. Different dealer descriptions of the trucks I've looked at indicate either 8-way power driver and passenger, then 2-way lumbar. Others list 10-way D/P seats, including lumbar. So it's mostly semantics. I don't use the lumbar, so I don't consider it as part of the seat adjustment (front-back, up-down, seat tip-tilt, recline up-down). I don't know what it is about her stature and the design construction of the seat and why it affects her the way it does. Generally any trip longer than an hour or so, and she's stuffing pillows or trying to get comfortable. I really feel bad when it happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
I don't think any years had very comfortable seats. For a fraction of what the OEM seats cost you can get a much better fit with an aftermarket brand seat. I replaced mine with Corbeau Suspension recliner seats for about $390.00 ea. They're incredibly comfy. I'm surprised at how cheap they are. If you want to spend the $$$ you can get them in Italian leather, but why?
Are they the XRS model?

Got any pics?

06 2500 qc 4x4 long bed, Dynamic 48RE, 4 TBE, s&b intake, leveled 35's, GDP 2 mic filter kit, thuren track bar, one piece driveline, redhead steering box, Carli ball joints, KMC Hoss 18s, EFI live, isspro EV2's, Detroit Tru-trac rear
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdogg67 View Post
Are they the XRS model?

Got any pics?
I can't remember the model off hand, but that sounds familiar. They only have a couple types of suspension seats. They also sell the adapters if you need them and they retain all elec functions. I do have some pics.

03 Dodge SHO QCLB Dually w/Custom side exit exhaust-Banks intercooler-4" side draft intake-Thuren 3.0 Argon filled Shocks-radius arms-SRW 4 link Conversion-17"methods-42" Squishy's- 4.56's-Griffin Radiator-elec fans & water pump=25.263 mpg legit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gator1 For This Useful Post:
trevdogg67 (09-12-2019)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Pics of seats. They look like the race seats, but are a true suspension seat for comfort that holds you tight. You can also add a 4 point harness or just use the OEM belts.

Edit: these are the BAJA XRS seats...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01905.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	856403   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01906.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	856405  
trevdogg67 and elephantrider like this.

Last edited by Gator1; 09-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post

Sorry to hear that the Ram seats hurt your wifes back. Anyone who has had back problems knows what real pain is! I bought my latest Ram (2019 2500 Laramie) partly based on what I perceive to be really comfortable seats. I've had two back surgerys and my back is very sensitive when it comes to a good seat. I can sit all day in my Ram and never have any discomfort. I guess I'm a FAN! That being said, if it was my wife, I would find something that works better for her. As they say, "If momma isn't happy, nobody is happy"!

2019 Laramie 2500 Crew
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Farmer View Post
Sorry to hear that the Ram seats hurt your wifes back. Anyone who has had back problems knows what real pain is! I bought my latest Ram (2019 2500 Laramie) partly based on what I perceive to be really comfortable seats. I've had two back surgerys and my back is very sensitive when it comes to a good seat. I can sit all day in my Ram and never have any discomfort. I guess I'm a FAN! That being said, if it was my wife, I would find something that works better for her. As they say, "If momma isn't happy, nobody is happy"!

I agree, Happy Wife=Happy Life. With that said, the finding something that works is the challenge. Is it a different brand truck? A different brand or style of seat? Without being able to test whatever may be the solution on a long road trip, it will be difficult to find what works. When I say long trips is when she has issues it's just that, most of the time when she does ride in Thor it's local (under 50 miles round trip). Most longer trips that we aren't towing or hauling, it's in her car, so no issue. When we do take my truck, it's an extended trip and her back starts to hurt within the first couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode