Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Seats

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Gator1 
#1 ·
A few quick question for anyone who may know. My current 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie has 10-way driver and 6 way passenger adjustable leather seats. Regardless of how she adjusts the passenger seat, my wife can't travel very far before it starts to cause serious issues with her back... :frown2:

We're (me :wink2:) considering a 2019 Ram 3500, and I see they now have both driver and passenger 8 way adjustable. Do any of you know what the extra two on the passenger and loss of two on the driver seat may be? And does anyone know if they changed anything about how the seats are cut, configured built as far and the seating or backrest are structured (aside from any adjustability). Is there extra foam or padding, or is the lumbar set up differently? I'm guessing the 2015-2017/18 are the same seats, then maybe changed them in 2019? I don't have a Ram dealer here to look at or compare the seats, so that's why I'm asking here. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The only thing I can tell you if I have a bad back and a 19 Laramie and they are miserable. The seats are so uncomfortable especially on drives. I just time my wife today I was going to have to get a matching recaro seat or something. Goodluck!

Reactions: Bolo4u
#4 ·
I wasn't interested in the Ram trucks until they included seats that compared to the Ford 10 way seats from 20 years ago. I always thought it was odd that Ram would build trucks for the driver and that was it. I guess no one cared about the passenger until 2019. Oh well - that's history.

I'm fairly certain that the 2019 is a 10 way seat both sides. Here's what mine does. Back/forth (2), recline/upright(2), up/down (2), seat tilt up/down (2), lumbar in/out (2). That's 10. The only downside is that there are only two memory settings, which only works for 1 driver if you folder the mirrors in/out. Maybe they'll upgrade the memory settings and add a third by 2030. LOL.

My wife has back issues and loves the truck(s). She hated the seats in my Jaguar. So, I got rid of it and kept my F350. She thinks the seats in the 2019 3500 are very comfortable and also thought the 2018 seats sucked.

#5 ·
The memory mirrors are saved to each driver position in both up and down configurations. So if you have the mirrors in the down position adjust them and save to your driver 1 position. Then put them in the up position and adjust them and save to your driver 1 position again. After that all you need to do is put the mirror in whichever position you want and push your memory button and they will adjust.

Reactions: Zinga and Ram4Sam
#6 ·
I don't think any years had very comfortable seats. For a fraction of what the OEM seats cost you can get a much better fit with an aftermarket brand seat. I replaced mine with Corbeau Suspension recliner seats for about $390.00 ea. They're incredibly comfy. I'm surprised at how cheap they are. If you want to spend the $$$ you can get them in Italian leather, but why?

#7 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Different dealer descriptions of the trucks I've looked at indicate either 8-way power driver and passenger, then 2-way lumbar. Others list 10-way D/P seats, including lumbar. So it's mostly semantics. I don't use the lumbar, so I don't consider it as part of the seat adjustment (front-back, up-down, seat tip-tilt, recline up-down). I don't know what it is about her stature and the design construction of the seat and why it affects her the way it does. Generally any trip longer than an hour or so, and she's stuffing pillows or trying to get comfortable. I really feel bad when it happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#10 · (Edited)
Pics of seats. They look like the race seats, but are a true suspension seat for comfort that holds you tight. You can also add a 4 point harness or just use the OEM belts.

Edit: these are the BAJA XRS seats...

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks for the pics. I’ve been thinking about getting these for a while now vs 4th gen seats. Are they holding up to normal use?

#11 ·
Sorry to hear that the Ram seats hurt your wifes back. Anyone who has had back problems knows what real pain is! I bought my latest Ram (2019 2500 Laramie) partly based on what I perceive to be really comfortable seats. I've had two back surgerys and my back is very sensitive when it comes to a good seat. I can sit all day in my Ram and never have any discomfort. I guess I'm a FAN! That being said, if it was my wife, I would find something that works better for her. As they say, "If momma isn't happy, nobody is happy"!

#12 ·
I agree, Happy Wife=Happy Life. With that said, the finding something that works is the challenge. Is it a different brand truck? A different brand or style of seat? Without being able to test whatever may be the solution on a long road trip, it will be difficult to find what works. When I say long trips is when she has issues it's just that, most of the time when she does ride in Thor it's local (under 50 miles round trip). Most longer trips that we aren't towing or hauling, it's in her car, so no issue. When we do take my truck, it's an extended trip and her back starts to hurt within the first couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#18 · (Edited)
I have a really bad back also, I fell off a 30' cliff one night leading a patrol in the jungle and landed on rocks, then I had a motorcycle accident and was paralyzed from the waist down, so I know pain very well, it's a big part of everyday life for me unfortunately, and so a good seat with support is important to me if I'm going to be in it for more than a few minutes. These Corbeau seats can be had with an inflatable lumbar bladder, and a heater if you need it, and the side support is what I like because it keeps my back locked in place, and inspires confidence. You can also order them in custom width if you have more girth than the average person.

#19 ·
Got a link? I’ve done the extra foam and burlap on mine. 3rd gen, so they’re fine for a max of a couple hours but anything longer and they get miserable quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
This is from the site they sell them all over though. https://corbeau.com/baja-xrs.html I was going to make my own brackets to mount them, but the ones they make are better than I would have made so I just bought theirs. For sure one of the best investments I ever made.

Reactions: El Pozzinator
#21 ·
Did you go full vinyl or the vinyl/cloth combo?

Sniffing now to see if I can find some seat covers or something for them so the fronts and rears will match. Maybe even get some MOLLE panels stitched on the backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
My wife says the same thing. I have so much invested in my truck I don’t want to buy a new one just to get better seats. I have ordered air seats. The one pictured is the high end and cost me 2 grand a piece . Small price for my wife’s comfort. You will have to do several modifications and you loose the side curtain airbags .

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.