Best battery tender - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mruysch
  • 1 Post By ofelas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Best battery tender

Got a question about what you guys think is the best hard wired battery tender for my truck. Got a 2019 3500 cclb bighorn cummins with a space kap in the back. The reason for needing the battery tender is for the diesel heater in the back.

2019 3500 cclb bighorn cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:10 AM
ffg
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruysch View Post
Got a question about what you guys think is the best hard wired battery tender for my truck. Got a 2019 3500 cclb bighorn cummins with a space kap in the back. The reason for needing the battery tender is for the diesel heater in the back.
I have this one permanently installed, it has served well since 2014 with zero problems.

Here is a link.
022-0157-1

11-3500-mega HO-EFI tune.
If it ain't broke, fix it anyway .
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

That is the one that popped up when I was researching. so I ordered it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I'd go with the CTEK https://www.ctek.com/products?catego...5-bb684196d572

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CC srw 4x4 385/850 6.7 Cummins with Aisin and 3.42 gears.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I have used the Deltran Battery Tenders for years. Have one on my CJ and ATV. They have worked well for me.

03 3500 SRW QCLB, HO, 4x4, Triple-Disc TC, Billet input shaft, HD Flexplate, Maghytec Pan, Patriot Blue/Silver, Level kit, 35x12.50x18 Open Country M/T, Method Fat Five, HBS Control Arms, Smarty Touch, Muffler Delete, Ride Rite Air Springs
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Diesel Head

So you have a diesel heater like a Webasto heater, and the fan pulls off of the truck batteries, but you can plug in the truck at the same time your running the heater and use a charger to keep the truck batteries charged?
If that's the case, you want a charger with more amps than a maintainer if you're using enough juice without the truck running to require charging.
And since your presumably running the heater when its cold out and risk the truck not starting if it's not plugged in, then you'd be best off to put a house battery or 2 in the system and a charging relay.
Regardless, for a charger for your purposes unless my assumptions are wrong, I'd look at a single or dual bank onboard marine charger/maintainer. 10amp min per battery.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

It is a Webasto heater and I only plan on keeping it just above freezing when it's parked and turn it up when I start driving. That's what I plan to do with the battery maintainer is to have it tied in with the block heater cord so when I park it for the night or the weekend I hope to not have dead batterys.
kevinc2004 likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Diesel Freak

Just checking, is this heater for the bed area or inside the vehicle? If you are worried about the interior, the diesel 2019's have a built in space heater to rapidly heat the cab. If this is for the outside covered bed, then maybe a more powerful charger than a tender?
But I do like the idea of a permanently mounted vehicle tender that can be spliced into the block heater cord, so you can warm the motor and charge the batteries at the same time.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruysch View Post
It is a Webasto heater and I only plan on keeping it just above freezing when it's parked and turn it up when I start driving. That's what I plan to do with the battery maintainer is to have it tied in with the block heater cord so when I park it for the night or the weekend I hope to not have dead batterys.
So, it's not a mobile office/shop that you'll heat for hours while parked somewhere throughout the day?
Then a maintainer will probably do the trick depending on how cold and how much the heater runs. But for the $ you have sunk into your rig and setup, a $150 10 amp charger/maintainer will doo a better job if you ever are on the bigger end of power consumption vs plugged in time.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Lots of folks who run Webastos and the like don’t have the luxury of being plugged in.

On my daily with a single Group 31, just 30mins of the Webasto coolant heater is enough in 0F/-20C to ensure the windshield is defrosted and the coolant is warmed up enough so the grids don’t even fire. Instant warm air out the cabin vents when the truck is started is a bonus, as long as one remembers to leave the dash controls on the “heat” or “defrost” position.

Another useful benefit to hot coolant actively circulating through the head/block is that the fuel & ATF are warm, and the engine oil as well - if one points the Webasto combustion exhaust at the oil pan.

In -40, it takes almost 60mins to do all the above.

On a storage rig with temperature sensitive contents/fluids, that’s parked outside for lengthy periods, or used to sleep in, I install a Webasto coolant heater and/or a Webasto cabin air heater, powered by a dedicated deep cycle reserve battery. Usually AGM, so it can be mounted discreetly in the interior if underhood space is limited. Recharge mode is operator choice; either recharge when close to a power source, or a 3 way high amp switch downstream of the alternator.

Both types of units have coolant temp and cabin air temp thermostats, as well as temp maintenance modes.

Absolutely no need to be dependent on an AC power source in the field or on the road.
Jimmy N. likes this.

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter, and cassette tapes all year.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

It is a diesel air heater in the back of the space cap. It is just to keep all my supplies in the back from freezing. Mainly all my furnace parts and glues. There might be the odd time I might crank it if I have to do some work in the back. But the main reason for the maintainer is when the truck is parked at night and the weekends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode