I'm interested - questions for current 2019 owners - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'm interested - questions for current 2019 owners

I'm seriously considering buying a 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie...

Questions:

Should I bother with the 12" display? Is it as responsive as a Tesla screen? Is it a pain to operate while in motion?

Should I bother with adaptive cruise control? Does the system work well in traffic? Will it stop at a red light if a car is in front of you?

Anyone actually have issues with the CP4 on the Cummins or is it a bunch of hype. CP4 thread, tldr.

I had a 2012 4th gen, so I'd like to ask, how much better is the ride quality compared to the 4th gens?

Any dead pedal issues with the 68rfe?

Thanks in advance.

Uh... I think I drive a 6.7 Cummings
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:09 PM
HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsturbofreak View Post

Questions:

Should I bother with the 12" display? Is it as responsive as a Tesla screen? Is it a pain to operate while in motion?

Should I bother with adaptive cruise control? Does the system work well in traffic? Will it stop at a red light if a car is in front of you?

Anyone actually have issues with the CP4 on the Cummins or is it a bunch of hype. CP4 thread, tldr.

I had a 2012 4th gen, so I'd like to ask, how much better is the ride quality compared to the 4th gens?

Thanks in advance.
I personally love the 12' screen but its not necessary. I like the ability to split the screen.

I tried that adaptive cruise only a couple times and it does slow you down but I chickened out before the person in front of me came a stop and I hit the breaks. The truck kept its distance but I just don't trust it. Others have said it will bring you to a complete stop.

There have not been any reports of issues yet with the CP-4.2 or at least not that I have read about.

The ride is much much better than the previous trucks yet its a 3500 and you still know its a 3500.

i have the Aisin and there is no dead pedal or tq management on my truck. It is very responsive and fairly quick ofr a stock truck but I don't think I would say it is as quick as the power stroke.
cumminsturbofreak likes this.

2019 3500 SRW 4x4 CTD Aisin CC LB Limited Delmonico Red w/rear air

Previous rams 2000 2500 slt + qc lb 4x4 v-10, 03 qc lb 2500 4x4 hemi Laramie, 07 3500 qc lb 4x4 5.9 ctd Laramie. 2013 Ram 3500 Limited SRW CTD Aisin 4x4 CC LB. All have been black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 PM

I really like the 12" display. It's kind of like when you got your first diesel, it's hard to go back to a gas. After having the huge screen I'm not going back. Not sure on the adaptive cruise control. Ride quality was surprisingly good. Everyone I work with drive different diesels and the consensus was mine was the smoothest riding by far.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn MegaCab Patriot Pearl Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Cummins Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsturbofreak View Post

Questions:

Thanks in advance.
12" screen is great. If the screen was smaller, it would be harder to operate. But if you prefer things that are small, don't get it
ACC: If you prefer the convenience of cruise control and would like to the truck to slow down and speed up, then get it. If you want to be in control, don't get it.
CP4: I haven't posted in the thread yet, but I might just to add to the post count and give it an appearance that there is a problem.
Ride: I don't know what a 2012 4th gen tank rides like. But in comparison to my 2005 F350 DRW, the 2019 3500 DRW is a wussy truck. The 3500 has a soft, plush ride.
Dead pedal: I don't have the 68rfe. But, my F350 has a V10 and has a very responsive gas pedal. In comparison, the 3500 is a dog in the city. It's not bad but definitely different.

California roads suck with either truck.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:38 PM

Garage
The 12-inch display is nice. Never been anywhere near a Tesla but I have no issues with the responsiveness of this unit and its generous dimensions make it relatively simple to operate while underway.

Don't have ACC and even if I did, it'd never get used.

CP4? With one exception (see below), the engine's run good from the get go. That includes about 1200 kms towing. Nearly 4K kms on the clock now.

Drove a 3rd gen 2500 gasser for 10 yrs. This truck rides much better.

Shortly after the ODO clicked over 2K kms, I was having some dead pedal issues but only when the engine temp was between 30 and 50C. If ya feathered the go pedal it was fine. Lean into it a bit and it was like the engine quit. It stopped being an issue at around 2500 kms and hasn't recurred since.

19 3500 Laramie LongHorn SRW Crew; HO Cummins turning the Aisin tranny
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Thanks for the replies!

Iím looking at lower priced laramies at the moment, and a black truck caught my eye, but it doesnít have ACC, a 12 inch screen, or even 360 cameras. On the other hand, I found a decently priced truck with ACC, 12Ē screen and 360 cameras, but itís white, and as my avatar will show, Iím a bit biased to the sport black look of my 3rd gen.

I'll just have to look at both of those in person in the next week or so when Iím in Texas.

There's the sport black and the well-optioned white. $3,000 price difference for the tech. What yíall think?

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:54 AM
US ARMY Retired

12" screen I didn't get it. I couldn't see $1995 for a larger screen....the only advantage that I saw was the split screen...maybe I'm wrong....as stated...I don't have one.

The adaptive cruise control is part of the safety package. I like the truck because it has both the adaptive and conventional cruise control. Yes the adaptive cruise will stop the truck. I will tell you that that package also comes with the advanced forward collision...even though FCA says that it wont stop you on its own...I think they say this so there's no liability on them....but I will tell you that it works. I'm in New England and the roads up here are winding, curving, hilly and there's a drive way every 20 feet. The other day I guy in front of me decided to make a left turn at the last minute and there was on coming traffic and he stopped very suddenly. As I was reaching for the brake pedal the truck had already applied the brakes and gave me the warning. I don't think I could have reacted fast enough to avoid the collision....so for me the system already paid for itself. The cruise control wasn't even turned on. This package will be on all of my future vehicles. The first one I ever drove...was my wife's 2018 Outback with eyesight...it works well too.

The 360 cameras...that's a deal breaker for me too....All of my future HD trucks will have the cameras...you can see everything and so much better than a truck without. These are very useful tools...in so many situations....get the Tow tech package.

For me its all about safety.

If I had to decide on these two trucks I wouldn't.....Get them to find the exact truck that you want....color and options...don't settle for a truck that doesn't have what you want...your spending your hard earned cash.

'19 Laramie 3500 CCSW SRW 4X4, Aisin 3:73's
SOLD: '17 Laramie 2500 CCSW 4X4 3.42's
SOLD: '11 Laramie 3500 CCSW SRW 4X4 3:73's
SOLD: '08 Laramie 2500 CCSW 4X4 3:73's "2Timothy1:7"

Last edited by Cummins0867; 08-24-2019 at 04:57 AM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 AM
Cummins Nut

Overall the 19 will be a totally different animal than your 12. Youll be impressed, and impressed daily if you make the jump to the 19. This 19 produces and transfers power much differently and much better than earlier 6.7s. The only time any dead pedal is present that I have found is until the engine is brought up to operating temp. Also the ESC is very sensitive and will depower upon any wheel slip. Shutting the esc off cures that one..

The 12'' screen is something I did not like at first. However the more I use it the more I like it and the features that come along with it. It just took some getting use to and learning where everything you commonly reach and search for is located. It is very user friendly and easy to use and easy to reach for common stuff without taking your eyes off the road. Its fast, responsive and with near zero lag.

Infotainment wise, More so than the 12'' screen, the harmon kardon sound is the better more impressive feature. And really shines with your own music input.. Weather you choose the 8 or 12 screen, find a truck with Laramie equipment 2 package.

The towing technology group is worth every penny if you can find a truck with it equipt with other options you want. My truck does not have it, but I am adding it asap.

2019 2500 4x4 Mega Laramie
2005 3500 4x4 QC 5600, 72 RoadRunner 440 4spd
71 Challenger R/T 440-6, 14 Jeep SRT
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Alright, since Iím flying in my friends Cessna 206 today to CRG in Jacksonville for a business meeting, Iíll probably stop at Kissimmee on the way back. They have a truck at Napleton Dodge that has everything I want plus a sunroof. Just need to beat down the price a little bit. Cargurus says they have had the truck for 93 days now, so letís see how that goes...
_ICEMAN_ and Electrojake like this.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:52 AM

I also can vouch for the collision braking system. I have it on my 2018 Mustang g/t and it has already saved me a hood, bumper, maybe windshield when a drugged out pedestrian hopped out in front of me. For me it was a must have on my new truck. A.C.C. is the best thing since sliced bread if you use cruise control and it works well.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:55 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

For me the painted bumper on the black rig is a definite turn off. Not sure why Ram thought painted bumpers was a hot trend
Sod Farmer likes this.

2001 2500 24v HD/6 spd man/stock SOLD!
2013 Ram 2500 4WD Crew Cab 149 Laramie

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:04 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert1 View Post
For me the painted bumper on the black rig is a definite turn off. Not sure why Ram thought painted bumpers was a hot trend
Chrome is cheesy. Colour matched bumpers are where it's at.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
RFairbairn and _ICEMAN_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode