Should I trade my deleted 2013 SXT CC Ram 3500 srw for a 2019 Big Horn Megadually - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Should I trade my deleted 2013 SXT CC Ram 3500 srw for a 2019 Big Horn Megadually

Pretty much what the title says. I had Nox sensor issues show up on the truck a few months ago and deleted it. Been pleased with the performance since. I use it to haul a pretty massive slide in truck camper that's roughly two and a half tons give or take so I'm about a half ton over my GVWR. I've done an add a leaf to the truck so it hauls it fine and the ride is actually much nicer than it is unloaded but I'm wondering if trading up is worth it just to be within the GVWR. With the dually I'd be within the number. Recently it feels like I have to hit slightly higher revs on the deleted 2013 to get the same amount of power I was getting when I first deleted it (might just be in my head though). Makes me wonder if the transmission's starting to go out but at the same time wondering whether or not the price tag's worth it. It's a 68rfe with 135,000 km so roughly 84,000 miles.

Dealership built it out specifically for truck campers and it has pretty much everything I'd want in terms of options for what I would be using it for. VIN shows the window sticker to be at $85,705 CAD but they've managed to bring the price down to $73,500 (around 55,500 USD) which is what I'm seeing used 2016-2018 laramies still going for (and why I'm leaning towards a new one instead of a used one at those price points). It's basically a fully loaded Big Horn with the surround view camera, alpine sound system, 8.4 inch screen, level 2 equipment group, bed liner, 68rfe as well (for higher payload since hauling is more important to me than towing, don't bother reccomending the Aisin, not a fan of how it shifts or the decreased payload capacity) and protection package. However as someone who heads out into the backcountry fairly regularly, I feel like a dually wouldn't be as capable? Or am I wrong about that?

Are the changes on the new truck and a full warranty enough to make it worth jumping into a new one from a 2013?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn5q8x835od31.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	853937  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Cummins Nut

The new ones are definitely much better trucks than the 2013s. If you can afford it without any strain I say go for it. I would recommend the Aisin transmission though.. while not a terrible trans the 68rfe is hands down the worst one available out of the big three.

2010 Ram 2500cc sb mineral gray metallic, laramie. Lovin it !!
The Following User Says Thank You to mxsledder For This Useful Post:
Grisnak (08-12-2019)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
The new ones are definitely much better trucks than the 2013s. If you can afford it without any strain I say go for it. I would recommend the Aisin transmission though.. while not a terrible trans the 68rfe is hands down the worst one available out of the big three.
Aisin compromises the payload significantly unfortunately by a couple hundred pounds which is ultimately more important to me than the towing figures it enables. Seems like the 2019 has gotten an updated 68rfe? Seen some posts in here saying they prefer the upgraded one to the Aisin since it's smoother and the Aisin is more clunky and that the valve body on the updated 68rfe is apparently pretty identical to a revmax one released 3 years ago so figure that should mean it's at least improved from previous years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,362 Times in 791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
I just saw a 2019 Tradesman with the AISIN with an msrp of $63,000. That's pretty ridiculous, in my humble opinion. I would keep what I had, if I was the OP.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisnak View Post
Pretty much what the title says. I had Nox sensor issues show up on the truck a few months ago and deleted it. Been pleased with the performance since. I use it to haul a pretty massive slide in truck camper that's roughly two and a half tons give or take so I'm about a half ton over my GVWR. I've done an add a leaf to the truck so it hauls it fine and the ride is actually much nicer than it is unloaded but I'm wondering if trading up is worth it just to be within the GVWR. With the dually I'd be within the number. Recently it feels like I have to hit slightly higher revs on the deleted 2013 to get the same amount of power I was getting when I first deleted it (might just be in my head though). Makes me wonder if the transmission's starting to go out but at the same time wondering whether or not the price tag's worth it. It's a 68rfe with 135,000 km so roughly 84,000 miles.

Dealership built it out specifically for truck campers and it has pretty much everything I'd want in terms of options for what I would be using it for. VIN shows the window sticker to be at $85,705 CAD but they've managed to bring the price down to $73,500 (around 55,500 USD) which is what I'm seeing used 2016-2018 laramies still going for (and why I'm leaning towards a new one instead of a used one at those price points). It's basically a fully loaded Big Horn with the surround view camera, alpine sound system, 8.4 inch screen, level 2 equipment group, bed liner, 68rfe as well (for higher payload since hauling is more important to me than towing) and protection package. However as someone who heads out into the backcountry fairly regularly, I feel like a dually wouldn't be as capable? Or am I wrong about that?

Are the changes on the new truck and a full warranty enough to make it worth jumping into a new one from a 2013?
Anywhere you can get a camper that big, the dually will go without a problem. I've had 3 duallies, and go off-road all the time. I've never had a traction issue in 4wd, even on the beach, etc. The kind of terrain where a dually is going to be a seriously limiting factor isn't a place where you're going to bring that camper anyway. The problem with off-roading duallies that I always hear about is the danger of getting rocks between the tires and suffering a blowout. Never has happened to me, and I can only remember one time when I ever saw a rock stuck between two tires.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
I just saw a 2019 Tradesman with the AISIN with an msrp of $63,000. That's pretty ridiculous, in my humble opinion. I would keep what I had, if I was the OP.
63,000 USD or CAD? Keep in mind my prices are CAD and that converting to USD brings it down to 55,500 which would be make it a much better deal considering it's a fully loaded big horn compared to a base tradesman. The MSRP on the window sticker on conversion to USD is 64,197.95 which is pretty comparable to that Tradesman only much nicer and minus the Aisin
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Anywhere you can get a camper that big, the dually will go without a problem. I've had 3 duallies, and go off-road all the time. I've never had a traction issue in 4wd, even on the beach, etc. The kind of terrain where a dually is going to be a seriously limiting factor isn't a place where you're going to bring that camper anyway. The problem with off-roading duallies that I always hear about is the danger of getting rocks between the tires and suffering a blowout. Never has happened to me, and I can only remember one time when I ever saw a rock stuck between two tires.
Yeah that's what I seem to primarily hear as well. Rocks between sidewalls and a lack of traction in snow/mud/ice due to the gap between the tires sometimes getting filled
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
63,000 USD or CAD? Keep in mind my prices are CAD and that converting to USD brings it down to 55,500 which would be make it a much better deal considering it's a fully loaded big horn compared to a base tradesman.
$63,000 msrp USD. Nobody pays msrp of course, but my 2012 loaded Laramie had an msrp of $56,000. The fact that a Tradesman is that high now is disturbing, in my humble opinion.

Quote:
Yeah that's what I seem to primarily hear as well. Rocks between sidewalls and a lack of traction in snow/mud/ice due to the gap between the tires sometimes getting filled
I've never had a traction issue with my duallies in snow, ice or rain. The only negative is in heavy snow where the rear wheels are cutting their own path because they don't track behind the fronts creating a sensation of the truck wandering left to right. Maybe not the best description, but anybody who's driven a dually in heavy snow understands what I mean.

'92 CC W350 DRW sold
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
$63,000 msrp USD. Nobody pays msrp of course, but my 2012 loaded Laramie had an msrp of $56,000. The fact that a Tradesman is that high now is disturbing, in my humble opinion.
I agree.. inflation over the last half decade has been aggravating.. problem is even lightly used 2018 laramies are going for 65-70k Cad (49-52k USD) so I figure at that price point may as well jump into a brand new one if I'm going to upgrade but what has me on the fence is if the upgrade is even worth it. Compared to pre 2014/2013 laramies, this big horn's superior/comparable in terms of the comforts and tech it has with the towing tech group, alpine sound system, heated wheels/seats etc. Everything is fairly comparable to the higher trims of half a decade ago except for leather seating (which I could care less about personally)

My primary motivation is being under the GVWR and having a warranty on the truck in case anything goes wrong. The newness and creature comforts are just bonus cherries on top so to speak. By the sounds of it though, I would assume you're of the opinion that it's not worth it despite being over the payload capacity of the current truck? Am I overthinking being over my gvwr?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:04 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Seems like the 2019 has gotten an updated 68rfe? Seen some posts in here saying they prefer the upgraded one to the Aisin since it's smoother and the Aisin is more clunky and that the valve body on the updated 68rfe is apparently pretty identical to a revmax one released 3 years ago so figure that should mean it's at least improved from previous years.
My 2013 had the AISIN. when shopping around for my 2019, the only trucks I could find with the AISIN were the limited which I wasn't going to be able to afford no matter how much I negotiated the price. I looked and looked and looked and almost built a Larime with it, but once I drove with the 68rfe I loved it. It is as smooth as butter in comparison.

I say that while still having the small voice in the back of my mind saying I should have gotten the AISIN, hopefully I will never actually needed it as was the case with my 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to _ICEMAN_ For This Useful Post:
Grisnak (08-13-2019)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ICEMAN_ View Post
My 2013 had the AISIN. when shopping around for my 2019, the only trucks I could find with the AISIN were the limited which I wasn't going to be able to afford no matter how much I negotiated the price. I looked and looked and looked and almost built a Larime with it, but once I drove with the 68rfe I loved it. It is as smooth as butter in comparison.

I say that while still having the small voice in the back of my mind saying I should have gotten the AISIN, hopefully I will never actually needed it as was the case with my 2013
Awesome! Glad to hear it! Seeing as you're coming from the same year, do you think the upgrade was worth it? Should I bite the bullet or keep my 2013?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Awesome! Glad to hear it! Seeing as you're coming from the same year, do you think the upgrade was worth it? Should I bite the bullet or keep my 2013?
So far, I love the '19. It seems to have a little more of a closer to a non HD type truck ride. The new 12' display in impressive, and it's noticeably quiet when compared to the 13. The a/c not blowing as cold due to the new Freon kills me. At this point, I would say is you are in the market for a new truck and can deal with the new debt then yes. I'd go with the '19. (but don't expect it to feel like entirely new truck) To throw another wrench in the bucket though, even if you are definitely in the market for a new sled, why not wait to see what the 2020 model brings to the table? I imagine we should be able to find out very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode