Should I trade my deleted 2013 SXT CC Ram 3500 srw for a 2019 Big Horn Megadually - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ICEMAN_ View Post
So far, I love the '19. It seems to have a little more of a closer to a non HD type truck ride. The new 12' display in impressive, and it's noticeably quiet when compared to the 13. The a/c not blowing as cold due to the new Freon kills me. At this point, I would say is you are in the market for a new truck and can deal with the new debt then yes. I'd go with the '19. (but don't expect it to feel like entirely new truck) To throw another wrench in the bucket though, even if you are definitely in the market for a new sled, why not wait to see what the 2020 model brings to the table? I imagine we should be able to find out very soon.
A/C doesn't blow as cold eh? That's a bummer.. well I live in Canada and if it gets too hot I usually open the window and enjoy the breeze before running my A/C anyway. And I don't think the 2020 will be all to different tbh. Think we're more likely to see the full refresh in 2021 or 2022 much like 2007.5-20010/2012 when they just upgraded the engine at first, before redesigning the face and body in 2010 and finally beefing up the suspension in 2013. Figure we're likely to see this gen marinate for at least 2-3 years before the full refresh. And also because the dealer actually built this truck out for me 3 months ago to exactly how I want it and it's only since then that I've been wondering if it's truly worth it.

Grisnak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:52 AM
Cummins Fanatic
 
_ICEMAN_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 145
Thanks: 91
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisnak View Post
A/C doesn't blow as cold eh? That's a bummer..And also because the dealer actually built this truck out for me 3 months ago to exactly how I want it and it's only since then that I've been wondering if it's truly worth it.
Well, in that case the truck is well worth it in my opinion. I can imagine in Canada the a/c issue isn't all that much of a problem. Here in Hot as Hell Texas it can be. Since you built it, it sounds to me like you have already worked out your finances, do/don'ts etc, so I'd say. Watch the video "13 things not to do when buying a new vehicle" on youtube, then go bring your truck home.
_ICEMAN_ is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 2,198
Thanks: 8
Thanked 227 Times in 193 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
"Anywhere you can get a camper that big, the dually will go without a problem."
Until you unload the camper to do some exploring....

The should I trade up question is purely the "want" for a new truck and the commercial aspect of spending the money on a new truck.
Is a dually more comfortable hauling a camper like that? Absolutely. I haul an AF camper on a srw as well. But the OP appears to be comfortable with how the truck handles currently.
It's back to new car smell in place of a very capable low mile existing truck in trade for making the wallet $15-20k lighter.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Grit dog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
"Anywhere you can get a camper that big, the dually will go without a problem."
Until you unload the camper to do some exploring....

The should I trade up question is purely the "want" for a new truck and the commercial aspect of spending the money on a new truck.
Is a dually more comfortable hauling a camper like that? Absolutely. I haul an AF camper on a srw as well. But the OP appears to be comfortable with how the truck handles currently.
It's back to new car smell in place of a very capable low mile existing truck in trade for making the wallet $15-20k lighter.
Hmm well shoot. So would you say I'm overthinking being over my gvwr by 1300 lbs since I've done an add a leaf and that the new truck isn't worth it especially since I do offroad my truck without the camper sometimes? Better to put that money into a lift, bigger tires with more sidewall and regearing? Mainly worried about a potential blowout since my tires sidewalls have been looking a bit worn lately..
Grisnak is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 2,198
Thanks: 8
Thanked 227 Times in 193 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisnak View Post
Hmm well shoot. So would you say I'm overthinking being over my gvwr by 1300 lbs since I've done an add a leaf and that the new truck isn't worth it especially since I do offroad my truck without the camper sometimes? Better to put that money into a lift, bigger tires with more sidewall and regearing? Mainly worried about a potential blowout since my tires sidewalls have been looking a bit worn lately..
That camper's a 990? by the pics on a long bed, so about the same as my AF 860 on a short bed 3rd Gen. Don't use the camper often, but over the last 5 years probably 20k miles or so from WA to WI to AK.
Safety wise, of course you're loading the tires up to their max load +/- with the camper on. I am too and while I wouldn't blindly recommend others do it, the fact is others do it as well and knock on wood, no issues with 3 different sets of 3600-4000lb rated E load range tires. Pickup truck Tires on a srw hauling over 4000lbs payload are the weakest link IMO, but sufficient.
The rest of the truck is built to handle more (same chassis as a dually, right?)
Comfort while driving, I don't mind driving the old Mega with the camper, but if I was hauling the camper regularly, I'd think harder about a dually.
Being over the mfgs recommended gvw is a can of worms that is generally confined to internet arguments. Some believe you'll crash, die and or go to jail being over gvw rating, others are more practical about what is ok and what isn't. All I'll say is let your knowledge and comfort level decide what's right for you.
Lift, bigger tires and re-gearing?? Not sure what that accomplishes other than make the truck less stable. Last thing you want to do is raise the center of gravity, IMO.

I would not run questionable condition tires though. If you're already at the max or possibly dipping into the factor of safety a bit, give the tires every chance to survive. BTW nice setup!

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Grit dog is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
That camper's a 990? by the pics on a long bed, so about the same as my AF 860 on a short bed 3rd Gen. Don't use the camper often, but over the last 5 years probably 20k miles or so from WA to WI to AK.
Safety wise, of course you're loading the tires up to their max load +/- with the camper on. I am too and while I wouldn't blindly recommend others do it, the fact is others do it as well and knock on wood, no issues with 3 different sets of 3600-4000lb rated E load range tires. Pickup truck Tires on a srw hauling over 4000lbs payload are the weakest link IMO, but sufficient.
The rest of the truck is built to handle more (same chassis as a dually, right?)
Comfort while driving, I don't mind driving the old Mega with the camper, but if I was hauling the camper regularly, I'd think harder about a dually.
Being over the mfgs recommended gvw is a can of worms that is generally confined to internet arguments. Some believe you'll crash, die and or go to jail being over gvw rating, others are more practical about what is ok and what isn't. All I'll say is let your knowledge and comfort level decide what's right for you.
Lift, bigger tires and re-gearing?? Not sure what that accomplishes other than make the truck less stable. Last thing you want to do is raise the center of gravity, IMO.

I would not run questionable condition tires though. If you're already at the max or possibly dipping into the factor of safety a bit, give the tires every chance to survive. BTW nice setup!
811 actually! Short bed slide out model. Think it's probably the heaviest short bed camper along with The Host Tahoe I believe and yeah main reason I was talking about a lift and regearing with larger tires was to get tires with more ply so it would hold up well against the load while also doing well offroad. If they're wide too may be able to increase the effective footprint of the truck to compensate for the increase in height while also improving offroad ability. Camper stays on the truck 99% of the time since I live out of it so figure the tires are getting sad now after a year and why i'm considering a dually.
But ty! Always love the combo of Arctic Fox and ram trucks!
Grisnak is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 2,198
Thanks: 8
Thanked 227 Times in 193 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
^ Ok 811/short bed truck is very similar to my setup. Weight between the old 860s and 811s is about the same.
I know the updated 4th Gen 3500s (starting in 2013) are much more stout than my 3rd gen and I'd have zero issue leaving that camper on the truck for a long time.
Tires? Yeah I wouldn't expect to full time with 4500lbs in the bed, driving in places like your picture and not doo some beating on the tires. No different with a dually, same rocks, same sidewalls, maybe more with the wider rear track width. I'd find me some good heavy new tires. Thinking 295 size Toyos or similar with a 4000lb load rating and stiff sidewalls. I'd go with mud terrain tires in general for the added sidewall protection and let er rip!
I've also gotten great wear out of Firestone MTs that I currently have on the truck and they were way cheaper than Toyos, Duratracs or BFGs.
Jealous of your lifestyle.....never wuz single long enough to pull off something like that but had a couple buddies who did it and never heard any complaints! We've spent the better part of a month with 4 people livin out of the old 860 relatively comfortably and I've spent a month a at a time in it very comfortably.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Grit dog is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 2,198
Thanks: 8
Thanked 227 Times in 193 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Maybe a level kit and some 35s. I wouldn't want to haul that weight every day on a 4-6" lift and 37s or bigger.
I've thought about the added track width of more positive offset rims and some 12 wide tires. Just haven't done it.

For your use, if this is long term with this truck, maybe even consider 19.5s based on your type of use. No durability or load rating concerns ever again.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Grit dog is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Cummins Nut
 
Bedlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PNW
Posts: 470
Thanks: 18
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I ran 19.5's on my 3/4t truck that carried my Arctic Fox. The downside to these tires is lack of flotation on soft surfaces and harsher ride when empty. The upside is much better weight capacity, stiffer sidewalls that do not allow the tire to wallow and excellent tread wear.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bedlam is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome