Remote start - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Remote start

Hello Members, Iím looking to have a OEM remote start added to my 2019 Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman. Itís the 6.4 Hemi with keyless entry and push button start. Is this something I can install. Is there a factory kit. Thanks for any assistance.

2006 CCLB 2500,silver, stock , 373,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Hi, new to the forum and first time Cummi s owner. I just purchased my new 2019 Ram 2500 6.7 tradesman. Were you able to find a remote start option? Im also wanting to install remote start. Thanks
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:46 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
For an OEM system the buy-in starts with having to buy two new key fobs and programming.. figure $600 depending on your dealer. Then whatever the auto-start costs.

I went to my local auto start guys and they can't program '19 RAM fob's, so if they installed an auto start you'd have to carry a second auto start fob along with truck fob. This was a no-go for me.

I did a little digging around and bought a $147 system off EBay and installed it myself. It's a basic Fortin system bought from an Ebay dealer that sent it complete with programming. You click the "lock" button on your basic FOB and the truck starts. It includes timing for the grid heater as well. A basic system for a basic truck.

I will say that if you have really big hands or aren't very adapt at turning yourself upside down to get under the dash, installing one can be a bugger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Hello I know thereís an auto start system that works with OEM keyfob but will have to be programmed. A device gets added to the wiring under the steer column area. Itís easy install but then you have to program it which Iím not good at.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:15 AM
railer and bailer

Thanked 1,055 Times in 855 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
i watched that fortin video and looks pretty interesting...

@DougAK, how was the install ? easy as the video shows ?
any hang ups during programming ?

'19 2500 t'man
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Diesel Head

Could one of you guys without factory remote start post a pic of you key fob button layout, and a pic of the circuit board under the buttons. These 2019s might be like the 2017-2018s where the fob already has the circuit, and just needs the overlay pad with the remote start button. Also, let me know if the hood latch has a connector plugged into it. This *might* be WAY cheaper than you guys think.
Lins and robertr_2020 like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Hey I like to do my own repairs or installs because I see some of the work done by others and I could have done it much nicer/cleaner. I probably can do the wiring but when it comes to programming I might have a problem. Donít want to put myself in that position. Iím trying to find a audio alarm place that has good references on their work. I havenít done anything yet. Iím also thinking of upgrade to Apple/Android car play bigger screen by Infotainment. Maybe the power side door mirrors too. I purchased truck which included upgrades but dealer stung me along postponing install dates. I found out they didnít know when parts upgrade would be in so I requested a refund of my monies. With that money Iím now able to get all three upgrades. Iím trying to find a reliable vehicle stereo alarm place which wonít screw up my truck.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 AM
railer and bailer

i'll get a few pics when i get back to the house. my fob has 3 visible buttons:

top left - unlock
top right - lock
middle section - blank; i can feel that there is a button on the right side under the blank
bottom left - ram logo
bottom right - panic horn

on the harness plug for the hood latch... i thought i saw where, if you purchase the factory
set up, you had to run the harness from a junction box up to the new latch that comes with
the kit. i don't remember seeing any wiring, pigtails, or connectors on my factory, non remote
start, hood latch. will double check that this afternoon.

'19 2500 t'man
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Its not hard. I ordered my 2015 tradesman and couldn't get it installed from the factory. But the sales man made some calls and told me he/they can get the parts and when it comes in will install it for free and flash the computer to tell it, it has factory remote start, from the factory.
My total cost in 2015 was, $530, when my truck came in, they installed a safety switch under the hood, and flashed the computer, and gave me 2 new fobs. I don't know what else needs to be done.
It has worked flawless.
When my vin # is run, all the stuff on the truck shows up as factory installed.
If you have a good dealer, they may flash it for free, or may charge you.
Good luck, I love it in colder weather.

2015 2 door 4x4 tradesman.
Travel full time.
Retired lineman.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:33 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman1234 View Post
Its not hard. I ordered my 2015 tradesman and couldn't get it installed from the factory. But the sales man made some calls and told me he/they can get the parts and when it comes in will install it for free and flash the computer to tell it, it has factory remote start, from the factory.
My total cost in 2015 was, $530, when my truck came in, they installed a safety switch under the hood, and flashed the computer, and gave me 2 new fobs. I don't know what else needs to be done.
It has worked flawless.
When my vin # is run, all the stuff on the truck shows up as factory installed.
If you have a good dealer, they may flash it for free, or may charge you.
Good luck, I love it in colder weather.
Thatís for a 2015, though. Yours required different fobs and a different RF Hub behind the rear seat. Starting in 2017, the RF Hubs donít need to be swapped, and the existing fobs have the underlying remote start button (just not the picture on the fob or the plastic contact on the rubber pad). For the 2019s, it should be a matter of a $15 fob overlay pad, a grounded hood latch wire, and the dealer adding the sales code.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:45 PM
railer and bailer

i do not see any type of pigtail / plug at all, around, or near the hood latch.

'19 2500 t'man
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

I went to several different stereo alarm places asking if they can do remote start using my key fobs. None were familiar with the setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode