How'd they make it quieter? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How'd they make it quieter?

I've noticed the new 2019 Cummins models are a lot quieter (outside) than the previous years--almost doesn't even sound like a diesel. Anyone have any idea how they did this?

My thoughts are by changing the injection timing. I know the graphite block is new, but I don't think that'd lend to making the engine quieter per se. Any good input would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:12 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Biggest change to perceived outside noise is going to be the hydraulic lifters. I am sure there are other changes that help, but that classic Cummins "clatter" was the from the solid tappets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4wd CTD crewcab Granite Crystal Metalic, 2" Pure Performance triple rate leveling springs, Adjustable front Trackbar, Stealth Module
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
Biggest change to perceived outside noise is going to be the hydraulic lifters. I am sure there are other changes that help, but that classic Cummins "clatter" was the from the solid tappets.
I'm not going to pretend to be the most well-versed engine guy, but I've tried researching exactly what the hydraulic lifters did in the engine and the information I find is still sort of vague to me. What exactly is their purpose in the engine? To lift the intake and exhaust valves? And given they are "hydraulic"--I'm guessing the fluid that controls them is the engine oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChfEngr View Post
I'm not going to pretend to be the most well-versed engine guy, but I've tried researching exactly what the hydraulic lifters did in the engine and the information I find is still sort of vague to me. What exactly is their purpose in the engine? To lift the intake and exhaust valves? And given they are "hydraulic"--I'm guessing the fluid that controls them is the engine oil?
They ride on the cam lobes and transfer that movement to the rockers that move the valves. Being "Hydraulic" means they have pressurized oil in them. This allows them to constantly and every so slightly change dimensions (overall length). This allows for constant contact against the cam and removes the need for valve lash adjustments as they take up any slack.

The previous designs (18 and earlier) use a solid tappet style design. Highly effective, strong and simple, but prone to making noise as the valvetrain does its thing. They also require the valvetrain to be periodically adjusted to account for any slack.

I am sure there is someone that can explain it much better than I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4wd CTD crewcab Granite Crystal Metalic, 2" Pure Performance triple rate leveling springs, Adjustable front Trackbar, Stealth Module

Last edited by battlerattle; 07-18-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Diesel Freak

^^^^^^
Excellent explanation.
Also adding to the quietness is the new compact graphite block, the new acoustic noise cancelling glass and sound deadening materials placed where it counts.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:46 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
They ride on the cam lobes and transfer that movement to the rockers that move the valves. Being "Hydraulic" means they have pressurized oil in them. This allows them to constantly and every so slightly change dimensions (overall length). This allows for constant contact against the cam and removes the need for valve lash adjustments as they take up any slack.

The previous designs (18 and earlier) use a solid tappet style design. Highly effective, strong and simple, but prone to making noise as the valvetrain does its thing. They also require the valvetrain to be periodically adjusted to account for any slack.

I am sure there is someone that can explain it much better than I can.
^^^^^^Nope you did a good job!!!
obie1 likes this.

2012 2500 Laramie, 6.7L 4x4 w/ 68RFE Auto Trans, Mega Cab Short Box w/ AFE CAI, AFE trans pan, AFE rear diff cover, Throttle-Up Industries fuel filter kit, Alpharig steering stabilizer brace
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM
Cummins Fanatic

So the lifters actually shape shift a bit? Like they're pliable?

My 1st Ram: 2019 Laramie 3500
6.7 HO Aisin AS69RC. Borg Wagner 44-48 4x4. 12" AAM Rear end. CCLB. Single Rear Wheel. Max Steel. 295/70/18 (35x12) Mickey Thompson MTZ P3. No lift/no level.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esminbritt View Post
So the lifters actually shape shift a bit? Like they're pliable?
They are made of steel. Think more of a plunger in a tube. You crank up the pressure and the plunger moves.

https://youtu.be/_x6PIqXqLlk

Jump to about 7:30 if you don't want to watch the whole video. Its old, very old, but pretty accurate.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
They are made of steel. Think more of a plunger in a tube. You crank up the pressure and the plunger moves.

https://youtu.be/_x6PIqXqLlk

Jump to about 7:30 if you don't want to watch the whole video. Its old, very old, but pretty accurate.
That's a great video. Is it actually from the 50's? Regardless, it's informational

6.7 HO Aisin AS69RC. Borg Wagner 44-48 4x4. 12" AAM Rear end. CCLB. Single Rear Wheel. Max Steel. 295/70/18 (35x12) Mickey Thompson MTZ P3. No lift/no level.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Diesel Freak

And IIRC they did add an injection pulse also
N of 60 likes this.

2002 2500 Quadcab LB 4X4 NV5600 HO stock
2012 3500 SRW Crewcab LWB 4X4 Auto 6.7 HO stock
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
They may have added an injector pulse, i am not 100% sure. Generally pulse timing, width and duration make more noticable changes under load. In the end its probably a combination of all the factors. I think at idle though, the biggest change to the noise level is the hydraulic lifters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Mostly, I enjoy the fact that it's quieter. I do miss the whine of older model turbos though. I'm not a big exhaust, black smoke guy. But I do love hearing a Turbo spool

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode