Grid heater failure 2500 6.7 - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
UPDATE: went to dealer this morning and looked at the old grid heater. Stud and bolt still there, all white and oxidized, but still there! They are going to put new grid heater, new alternator, and new batteries. Should have truck back tomorrow they're saying. I'll keep yall updated if any problems come back, or changes made.

NordicNevs and Jimmy N. like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slappnbass For This Useful Post:
dalefortrap (07-19-2019), Gr8bawana (07-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappnbass View Post
have u experienced this before?
In Dec. 2018 my 2013 6.7 fried the grid heater stud and melted it. I was really lucky and it dripped and fused the molten metal mass to the intake body. Others were not so lucky and the engine swallowed it. After that repair, I had several electrical issues that RAM couldn't repair, so bye bye went the 13, hello the 19.
Now I see this...

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappnbass View Post
UPDATE: went to dealer this morning and looked at the old grid heater. Stud and bolt still there, all white and oxidized, but still there! They are going to put new grid heater, new alternator, and new batteries. Should have truck back tomorrow they're saying. I'll keep yall updated if any problems come back, or changes made.
Hopefully they figured out what caused the grid heater to do that. If not, it will happen again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 2500 4x4 CCSB, G56 Gorilla Juiced, H&S Mini Maxx, 5" TBE, DPF and EGR/Cooler MIA, SB DD3250, ARP 625s, 2nd gen Manifold Swap, Stainless Diesel Manifold, BW S467.7, GDP Open Breather, 6" BDS Long Arm, Carli Springs, 37" Toyo MT's, 17x9 Fuel Throttles (+1), Mag-Hytec rear Diff Cover, Claymore Hitch Cover, Tuned by Draconian Diesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USMC SEMPER FI!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Grid heater failure

2019 Ram 3500 big horn with 3500 miles, on July 9th had the same problem, dealer replaced alternator and batteries then went dead and ruined 2 more batteries. Found the grid heater and relay bad and to receive them today. They were in contact with star to tell them how to fix and said they hadn't heard of this problem before. So now I guess they have may be a bigger problem so we will see. Stopped at dealer this morning and are putting back together but don't know when it will be done as they have had it for a week an a half.

Last edited by dalefortrap; 07-19-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: update
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:05 PM
railer and bailer

Thanked 1,027 Times in 829 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
i'm about to pull the trigger on a 19... good thing for warranty !

jason

closet poster

'19 2500
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Update: picked up truck today from dealership. I noticed they replaced the heater solenoid also. Seems to be driving normal for now. However, when shutting off the truck, the motor shakes and wobbles more than it did before. I could be crazy but I dont remember it that noticeable before. Gonna compare with my buddies 3500. Overall just happy to have my truck back. Time to drive it and put that warranty to work! Btw...ram cares has been awesome. Really the only way I was able to get updates, and they are covering 1 month of my truck payment. Very impressive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slappnbass For This Useful Post:
dalefortrap (07-19-2019)
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Update: 17 days and still haven't got my truck back. July 19th thought it would be ready for testing on July 22 told ram care they were waiting for batteries which they knew they needed over a week ago, haven't hear from the dealer for 3 days now.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:36 PM

Picked up truck yesterday replaced alternator, relay and grid heater along with 2 sets of batteries. Only took 2 1/2 weeks to get truck back guess that's what happens when you take it to a dealer where didn't buy it. Seems to work ok for now.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Guess what? Truck is back at dealership for the second time! Only had it back for 13 days. Put around 300 miles on truck since I got it back. Was heading to a job site today, and battery light kicks on, radio shuts off because backup power kicks on and I find myself headed to dealership. Same error codes as before. I will contacting my Ram Care rep in the AM. This is getting ridiculous. I know my lemon laws here in my state, and FCA is about to know who I am. Dont let those dealerships push you around guys. We work to hard to pay this kind of money and be left with a sitting vehicle.
dalefortrap (08-02-2019)
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalefortrap View Post
Picked up truck yesterday replaced alternator, relay and grid heater along with 2 sets of batteries. Only took 2 1/2 weeks to get truck back guess that's what happens when you take it to a dealer where didn't buy it. Seems to work ok for now.
hope it works out for you. Keep an eye on your battery gauge. Mine kept flickering very low at start, then would slowly go up. This morning it just stayed low and never went back up. Back at dealership. Same error codes, etc..
dalefortrap (08-02-2019)
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:51 PM
Diesel Head

I do feel sorry for you guys. But I also can't deny that reading about the various issues the '19s seem to have, I get even more attached to my '17.

Which, by the way, has the grid heater cable tied off to the coolant reservoir. It rarely goes below -20 here, so I don't really need a functional grid heater.
ramrocker likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdel325 View Post
Hopefully they figured out what caused the grid heater to do that. If not, it will happen again.
^^^this

seems like they did not find the root cause.

good luck

'18 3500 Mega Aisin, Carli suspended

13 3500 CCLB Aisin, Carli suspended

'11 2500 Mega, Carli suspended
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode