Buying New? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPeterson View Post
Heh. Years and years ago I had the opportunity to watch an old hand negotiate a new car purchase. I got to go along for the educational value, specifically. It was a rainy Wednesday morning near the end of the month. The dealership was dead. The (presumed) trade-in was a creampuff, babied Caddy... but the guy really had no intention of trading it in. He maneuvered the dealer by talking trade-in in general only, then said he wanted to deal only on the new sale first, "to see where I stand", letting the saleman assume he'd make up more profit on the trade. So they (negotiated -- apparently the autocensor doesn't like the word I used) ****ered for a while, the buyer all hesitant and cautious, and salesman playing the I've-got-to-clear-this-with-the-boss schtick a couple times. Finally there was a binding sale order with a cash price on the desk signed by the sales manager, and the buyer grabbed it and signed it....

So the salesman sits back, all happy, and says "OK! Now let's deal on the trade-in!"

And my stepdad's buddy says "What trade-in?

It was all well and truly a thing of beauty.
That's a cool story but nowadays "Max Trade Allowance" is actually a line item on the signed sales contracts from the sales managers, so no way to pull that off nowadays.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChfEngr View Post
That's a cool story but nowadays "Max Trade Allowance" is actually a line item on the signed sales contracts from the sales managers, so no way to pull that off nowadays.
Yup. Which is why I said, IMHO, the only way to deal is cash in hand!

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,362 Times in 791 Posts
Negotiate the price of the new truck without even talking about your trade-in. I'd sell it private party. It should only take a few weeks if priced right. That being said, there are no bargains to be had on any new Rams right now. Chrysler seems to be trying to gouge every last penny out of people, after having already increased the prices as well. They're stacking up on the lots out west. I'm watching the same trucks sitting for months. At a certain point they're going to have to cut the prices. I'd wait if I were you.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Negotiate the price of the new truck without even talking about your trade-in. I'd sell it private party. It should only take a few weeks if priced right. That being said, there are no bargains to be had on any new Rams right now. Chrysler seems to be trying to gouge every last penny out of people, after having already increased the prices as well. They're stacking up on the lots out west. I'm watching the same trucks sitting for months. At a certain point they're going to have to cut the prices. I'd wait if I were you.

Yeah, waiting is what Iíve settled on after looking at a Laramie yesterday. Advertised online for $63k then when I got there I was told the price was really $4.5k higher due to dealer installed options and Iíd have to use Chrysler financing or Iíd be another $3k on top of that. Screw that nonsense.

Iíll just wait until either close to year end or to when they start rolling in in the used lots.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Cummins Fan

You will definitely get more by selling outright, but, you need to determine how much ($10k is a big nut and worth it to sell on your own).

In Florida at least, you don't pay sales tax on your trade value. When I bought my 19, I traded a 2016 F150 platinum. I figured I could sell it for $38-39k... most dealers were giving me around $32-33k trade, so, I started looking at selling. I found a dealer that offered me $35k for it and took it. With the taxes, if I had sold it outright and brought the proceeds as cash to the deal, I would have paid and extra $2,100 in taxes, so, the effective trade value was $37,100. For the unknown and having to time the sale and buy pretty close or needing to rent a car for the delta, it was worth it to me to trade.

These trucks are a bit different than an F150 which are a dime a dozen on the resale market, but, it's something to think about if you get closer to your target value and your state has the same trade/tax rules.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando bull View Post
You will definitely get more by selling outright, but, you need to determine how much ($10k is a big nut and worth it to sell on your own).

In Florida at least, you don't pay sales tax on your trade value. When I bought my 19, I traded a 2016 F150 platinum. I figured I could sell it for $38-39k... most dealers were giving me around $32-33k trade, so, I started looking at selling. I found a dealer that offered me $35k for it and took it. With the taxes, if I had sold it outright and brought the proceeds as cash to the deal, I would have paid and extra $2,100 in taxes, so, the effective trade value was $37,100. For the unknown and having to time the sale and buy pretty close or needing to rent a car for the delta, it was worth it to me to trade.

These trucks are a bit different than an F150 which are a dime a dozen on the resale market, but, it's something to think about if you get closer to your target value and your state has the same trade/tax rules.
Ahh, you make a good point. I didn't even think about the sales tax portion when considering selling it on my own. There's no sales tax on the trade value here either, but I'm not going to "give" my truck away for $10k less than what it goes for on the open market. I've listed it for sale in a couple places just yesterday so I'll see how that pans out after a few weeks. I'm still scouring the internet for the 'perfect' truck for me and making calls to see if those dealerships are willing to wheel and deal (or if they're full of sh!t and hit me w/ the "dealer-installed options" BS when I show up in person").
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Yeah, waiting is what Iíve settled on after looking at a Laramie yesterday. Advertised online for $63k then when I got there I was told the price was really $4.5k higher due to dealer installed options and Iíd have to use Chrysler financing or Iíd be another $3k on top of that. Screw that nonsense.

Iíll just wait until either close to year end or to when they start rolling in in the used lots.
Wow. Sounds like one of those dealers who, when presented a reasonable offer, will just shrug and say "Someone else will pay it." Bad business philosophy. They don't see that money is always in numbers, not small quantity margins.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPeterson View Post
Wow. Sounds like one of those dealers who, when presented a reasonable offer, will just shrug and say "Someone else will pay it." Bad business philosophy. They don't see that money is always in numbers, not small quantity margins.
Correctamundo. Good thing I don't have a pressing NEED for a new truck at the moment. I'd like to have a new one, sure--but it can wait.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Correctamundo. Good thing I don't have a pressing NEED for a new truck at the moment. I'd like to have a new one, sure--but it can wait.
I always look at the dealer website to see the options and discounted price, then call the internet sales guy to verify. Don't waste my time with going to dealers.

2014 Ram 2500HD Laramie CCSB with Cummins.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,362 Times in 791 Posts
Quote:
That's where I am at. I don't need a new truck. My old truck works just fine and has low miles for its age. But if I can find one at the right price I will buy it. I wanted to wait to see what 2019 brought which is why I didn't buy last Christmas. With no incentives to speak of on the 2019, and the price hikes, my interest waned. Now I'm thinking there's going to be an 8 speed for 2020, so coupled with the fact that there are no deals on the 2019s, I'm waiting to see what 2020 brings.
ChfEngr likes this.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
The Following User Says Thank You to brownbear For This Useful Post:
ChfEngr (07-18-2019)
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:44 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I am in the same position, was planning to replace my 13 this year, but seems no real deals out there and have concerns about some of the 19my design and option changes.

2001 2500 24v HD/6 spd man/stock SOLD!
2013 Ram 2500 4WD Crew Cab 149 Laramie

The Following User Says Thank You to bert1 For This Useful Post:
ChfEngr (07-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode