Hemi or Cummings - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hemi or Cummings

Question for you guys... Which direction should i go??? Hemi or Cummings? I know this is a diesel forum but im just wanting to get the opinion of those that drive them!

Iím in the market for a Ram 2500 soon and am wondering what direction all of you think I should go!

My situation is I donít drive very much at all, literally less than 10K a year (at the moment) as I work from home. What I am setting up is for me and the wife getting a little camper (less than 30ft tandem axle, not 5th wheel) and go and play! I know I could easily pull our camper with the Hemi, however Iím planning on buying and keeping! Iím not looking for resale value, Iím looking for longevity. Also, the exhaust brake would be a nice addition when in the mountains. My biggest concern right now is the little amounts I drive and
the stories I hear regarding the emissions on the diesel, especially the regen period. So? The cost difference during purchase is simply the increase for the diesel everything else will be the same regardless.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 PM

I would go with diesel. I just picked up a 2500 Cummins with all the options except for sunroof and winch. Pulls effortlessly my 28í Pace with a 6k lbs antique car in it.

Your worry about emissions comes down to where you live. In many states most people do a full delete and retune when the DPF needs to be replaced. In some communist states you cannot do that because they constantly check emissions. But when that happens in a state you can delete, if you tune also, you will pick up and extra 140 hp and loads more torque. Not that you need more torque with the 6.7 but you will pickup 5 mpg from what I have read. Mine is also a keeper. Hope to have it at least 10 to 15 years. By then my kids will be dealing with it! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,416 Times in 2,490 Posts
If you wont be towing often and it wont be very heavy get a hemi. Save at least 10g up front and dont worry about emissions. Pretty easy decision in my mind. Hemi will last many years under those conditions. You out 10k a year on it, it will last at least 200k if not double that. So that's a good 20year plus truck for you. Either a hemi or diesel will last you about the same before the body rots or you just get bored of it.

You dont pick up any milage when you delete any more. In the pre 12my you may have gotten 2 to3mpg. Deleting is also very expensive. Takes a lot of fuel to recover the cost and at 10k a year you likely never would. Plus your loose the warranty the second you did so. Not really worth it to most people.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold

Last edited by the man in black; 07-15-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Cummins Fan

In my perfect world, buy both.

In my reality world, buy the diesel, change your driving habits slightly, or delete it.

Never think about it again.

2015 SLT 3500 CC 68/3.42 SRW 4X4 Bright White and Stock.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

The 6.4 Hemi is a beast, I had a 16 with 4:10 gears and it ran like a scalded dog, pulled my 36ĒMontana 5th very well. Just suck the hell out of gas to say the least. Empty and keeping the speed limits I would see 17 mpg on the Hwy and all in town 12 mpg. I love my 3500 Diesel better though, no mileage gains empty but towing the same 5th I picked up mpg it donít even sweat pulling it lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3500 MegaCab Dually 4X4
6.7L Aisin Trans
4:10 Gears
385 Hp 930 Tq
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Cummins Nut

I would have to say Gas if you are going to have many short trips in the 10k a year mileage. If you can avoid a lot of short trips the diesel has many advantages, fuel Econ, exhaust brake, lots less likely to need to slow pulling up a grade, and also even in 10+ years it will hold value vs the gas.
The 19 Hemi is not a turd, with the be ZF trans it is worth a look but that’s only positive (other than maintenance cost) over the diesel. You can easily get away with an annual oil change / fuel filter change with the 10k/year but the diesel will without a doubt cost over double the gas when you change filters.

Most importantly drive them both and buy what you would enjoy driving long term. If you buy a gas and regret it, all the saving will be out the window when you trade it in!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I’m still leaning diesel, After I retire in a couple of years the wife and I will be driving all over the country pulling our Travel Trailer. I think overall the diesel will be the best to cover those miles. Thanks again to everyone.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
If you wont be towing often and it wont be very heavy get a hemi. Save at least 10g up front and dont worry about emissions. Pretty easy decision in my mind. Hemi will last many years under those conditions. You out 10k a year on it, it will last at least 200k if not double that. So that's a good 20year plus truck for you. Either a hemi or diesel will last you about the same before the body rots or you just get bored of it.

You dont pick up any milage when you delete any more. In the pre 12my you may have gotten 2 to3mpg. Deleting is also very expensive. Takes a lot of fuel to recover the cost and at 10k a year you likely never would. Plus your loose the warranty the second you did so. Not really worth it to most people.
^^^DITTO^^^
I just went back to a gas and am happy with the decision. I do pull heavy loads(15-20k) a few times a year but the gas truck gets the job done. I definitely miss the diesel but I've moved on. Didn't feel like dealing with the emissions stuff when it needs worked on($$$) and didn't want the cost of deleting after spending $40-50k+ on a truck. It does take some getting used to when pulling heavy loads but like I said, it gets the job done.
Jimmy N. likes this.

2017 GMC 2500 6.0
SOLD - 2008 3500SRWCCLB 4x4 6.7 Cummins, G56 w/South Bend DD
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:44 AM

How do people still manage to add a "g", even on a message board that shares the name and plasters the proper spelling on every page?
Also, if you come to a diesel board asking gas vs diesel, you're asking a biased crowd.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,416 Times in 2,490 Posts
Its auto correct. It adds the g. Not the end of the world. It looked like the bias was actually towards gas based on his first post but nice contribution nO..

OP if you plan to travel the country I'd lean diesel. You didnt mention that in your original post.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Cummins Fan

The only con I've found with my diesel is that I now have to wear a coat for a few minutes on the cold winter mornings.

2018 Ram Big Horn Sport Pkg CC Short Box 6.7L 1" Thuren front coils, front trackbar, King 2.0s 295/70R18 Method NVs with Cooper AT3/XLT
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Once you tow with a cummins and are only doing like 1400 rpm at 70 miles an hour, you will never be happy with a gasser again. its an addiction.

Black trucks are the fastest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode