New CP4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New CP4

New to this forum...currently own a 2011 Duramax that I had to replace the Bosch CP4 on. It's for sale now and am buying a Ram in the next 2 wks. Im wanting a 19' but it looks like I'm gonna have to stick to an 18' after the run around I'm getting on answers to the 19s new fuel pump! I simply asked for any information as to if the Bosch CP4 now implemented by Cummins has been updated at all, or if they're the same pumps failing in GM and Ford. Thought I'd share...

First I contacted Cummins since they are the ones that put the Bosch pump on their motor. "We have a legal agreement with Ram and cannot disclose any information on regarding this motor. Need to contact Ram"

At the same time Bosch responded with the SAME answer as Cummins.

I then contacted Ram and they opened up a "case" to my question lol. After a week I got this..."I reached out to my technicians and also Bosch and this is the only information I have for you...'We cannot disclose this information as we have a legal agreement with Ram'. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with."

Uh...you are Ram you frickin moron! Basically none of them want to touch on this and it doesn't sound promising. I would think that if the pumps have been updated, Ram would be happy to tell us as a selling point. Ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Diesel Freak

Probably thousands of these new RAMs out their now doing hard labor dragging loads across the country. Nobody has reported an issue. Mine hasn't finished its first tank of diesel yet, so I can't comment personally on long term, but as of now, 0 issues.
And it's actually a CP4.2 pump, so one could speculate there was a revision/upgrade. And yes, the new CP4.2 pump was one of the many new features highlighted at the auto shows and press releases.

2019 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4 all options except rear air susp, Black Forest Green Pearl.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Cummins Fan

Good question as the CP4.2 is supposedly just a variation of the basic CP.4. When it goes the entire fuel system goes as pieces foul everything. The old CP3 was "bullet-proof".

One thing to consider is always keeping fuel pressure into that pump. When changing filters, think they designed new ones for the 2019, be sure to prime properly. The CP4's are not tolerant of being run dry like the CP3.

You are not alone. Many feel that change is a serious mistake for reliability in the long term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Well my 2011 Duramax NOW has a CP4.2 which is what they replaced the old one with. But the 2015-16s came with the CP4.2 and they are failing as well. That's why GM ditched them all together in 2017. We'll see I guess. I'd be less worried if there were even more revisions made and info given.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Cummins Fanatic

They have always been CP4.2. The .2 doesn't mean revision, it means it is a two piston pump. Even the revised pumps after 2015 still had issues... I wouldn't buy one with other excellent options available.

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CC srw 4x4 385/850 6.7 Cummins with Aisin and 3.42 gears.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:35 PM
US ARMY Retired

No issues with my 2019 Ram 3500 or my two Ecodiesel's a 2014 Grand Cherokee and a 2018 Ram 1500 both with CP4's.
Tuffguy707 likes this.

'19 Laramie 3500 CCSW SRW 4X4, Aisin 3:73's
SOLD: '17 Laramie 2500 CCSW 4X4 3.42's
SOLD: '11 Laramie 3500 CCSW SRW 4X4 3:73's
SOLD: '08 Laramie 2500 CCSW 4X4 3:73's "2Timothy1:7"
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 PM
Cummins Fanatic

A Duramax also has no lift pump. So.....

2006 Megacab 3500
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

my former 2016 ecodiesel had less than 22000 miles this year when my fuel system took a dump. Tech blamed bad fuel, resulting in cp4 failure and requiring complete fuel system replacement. Blaming fuel issues, no warranty coverage and 7K bill. Strangely I filled up my 13 2500 within 4 hours at the same exact pump to resume a planned 3 hour way trip with no issues, so I am a wee bit skeptical of the techs findings...

I would like to replace my 13 with a new truck but the cp4 potential issue has me on hold for now.

2001 2500 24v HD/6 spd man/stock SOLD!
2013 Ram 2500 4WD Crew Cab 149 Laramie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin_AWD View Post
A Duramax also has no lift pump. So.....
Lift pumps help, but what is Fords excuse? The problem is the fuel here in the U.S. Our diesel #2 has no lubrication in it and these pumps were designed to be lubricated by the diesel. Other countries have diesel #1 and these CP4s are running just fine. The lift pumps help but will not prevent. Nice try, so.....

🤣🤣🤣
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins pig View Post
They have always been CP4.2. The .2 doesn't mean revision, it means it is a two piston pump. Even the revised pumps after 2015 still had issues... I wouldn't buy one with other excellent options available.
I understand the 2 pistons...what other excellent options are you talking about? 2018 Cummins?
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert1 View Post
my former 2016 ecodiesel had less than 22000 miles this year when my fuel system took a dump. Tech blamed bad fuel, resulting in cp4 failure and requiring complete fuel system replacement. Blaming fuel issues, no warranty coverage and 7K bill. Strangely I filled up my 13 2500 within 4 hours at the same exact pump to resume a planned 3 hour way trip with no issues, so I am a wee bit skeptical of the techs findings...

I would like to replace my 13 with a new truck but the cp4 potential issue has me on hold for now.
I hear Ford likes to say the same thing. I am curious if anyone has pushed the issue... i.e. What contaminate? What percentage of contamination or ppm contamination? Why did the factory filter/separator not prevent it? Is there a flaw in the factory filters?

I get your barking against the corporate tree (deep pockets for lawyers), but if they are going to claim contamination then it would logically assume they tested something to find out it was contaminated. Otherwise its a baseless claim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4wd CTD crewcab Granite Crystal Metalic, 2" Pure Performance triple rate leveling springs, Adjustable front Trackbar, Stealth Module
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert1 View Post

I hear Ford likes to say the same thing. I am curious if anyone has pushed the issue... i.e. What contaminate? What percentage of contamination or ppm contamination? Why did the factory filter/separator not prevent it? Is there a flaw in the factory filters?

I get your barking against the corporate tree (deep pockets for lawyers), but if they are going to claim contamination then it would logically assume they tested something to find out it was contaminated. Otherwise its a baseless claim.
I tried to get my insurance to cover it so they had a 3rd party take a fuel sample and it came back clean. Yet GM claims it is only due to fuel contamination/water. Neither will help me. I did join a class action suit against GM where they are claiming the same thing but who knows where that will go. Lawyers say the case is very strong...🤦‍♂️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode