No cruise control / traction control light on - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No cruise control / traction control light on

Hello, I’ve never used a forum before but there is so much information on here it’s amazing. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn. I have never had any issues, however my AC evaporator core went out. I had it fixed last weekend. 1200.00 as they had to remove the entire dash. I received my truck back and the AC is the coldest it’s ever been, but upon receiving the truck back, the traction control light is on and will not shut off. Also, I can turn the cruise control on and off but it will not set a speed. I thought maybe it was the brake light switch but changing that had absolutely no effect. I have been googling all day and keep seeing things about vacuum lines etc. but it appears this 4th gen Cummins Ram is all electronic? I could really use some advice. The mechanic that fixed the AC is going to look at it tomorrow but doesn’t know what has caused this. Again so I am not misunderstood, the cruise control will turn on and off but will not allow me to set a speed. Also the traction control light is on. Please please help! I drove 60 miles a day for work and not having cruise is murder on my legs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxlawnservicenaples View Post
Hello, Iíve never used a forum before but there is so much information on here itís amazing. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn. I have never had any issues, however my AC evaporator core went out. I had it fixed last weekend. 1200.00 as they had to remove the entire dash. I received my truck back and the AC is the coldest itís ever been, but upon receiving the truck back, the traction control light is on and will not shut off. Also, I can turn the cruise control on and off but it will not set a speed. I thought maybe it was the brake light switch but changing that had absolutely no effect. I have been googling all day and keep seeing things about vacuum lines etc. but it appears this 4th gen Cummins Ram is all electronic? I could really use some advice. The mechanic that fixed the AC is going to look at it tomorrow but doesnít know what has caused this. Again so I am not misunderstood, the cruise control will turn on and off but will not allow me to set a speed. Also the traction control light is on. Please please help! I drove 60 miles a day for work and not having cruise is murder on my legs
If your front wheels are pointing straight, when you put your truck in reverse, are the backup camera grid lines straight or curved?
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,534 Posts
The cruise uses the same wheel speed sensors to set the speed, so it sounds like there is an issue with one of those sensors. Now, possibly during the a/c repair the tech may have disturbed the harness connection to the sensor.

A dealer level scan tool would show all sensor data and point to the issue.

Is the CEL on? If so, need to read the code and let us know what is set.

Any time the CEL is on the cruise will not engage.

And, I take it that the truck is outside of the 3/36 warranty, and that's why you paid for the repair?

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

The check engine light isn’t on at all. That’s the other confusing thing. As far as the reverse thing with the wheels straight, the lines are straight behind, not curved. Oh and yes, I am out of the warranty by far.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxlawnservicenaples View Post
The check engine light isnít on at all. Thatís the other confusing thing. As far as the reverse thing with the wheels straight, the lines are straight behind, not curved. Oh and yes, I am out of the warranty by far.
That rules out the clockspring being reinstalled out of rotation. Thereís not many connectors that need to be unplugged for pulling the dash, and the ones that do get disconnected, you would have lost a lot more functions if one wasnít plugged back in. Could be a pinched wire, but, I would have him figure it out since it is directly related to when the dash was pulled.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

He’s going to look at it tomorrow. I was just hoping maybe it was something simple like unplugging a harness and re seating it. I have no idea which harness though and Jesus there are a million of them
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:00 PM

My Traction Control light was on after disconnecting the batteries overnight to put them on a float charger. I used AlphaOBD and the MX OBD scanner to read the body computer codes. It seems when I reconnected the batteries the tire size wasn't calibrated correctly. I cleared the codes and the light went away.

Maybe this is something that happened to you? Either way AlphaOBD should give you a better idea of what is throwing the code. I think it's $125 well spent...

2016 Ram 3500 Tradesman 4x4 G56 Transmission
PPEI Tunes 4" TBE.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Diesel Freakazoid

Garage
Traction control light on will disable cruise control on a lot of vehicles.

Truck went into shop without light on, truck came out of shop with light on, therefore shop did something. Steering wheel is not pulled to drop dash, but the assembly is dropped and disconnected from the wiring. I would bet that there is a connector that was not reconnected somewhere.

2012 MCSB DRW 3500 Laramie Longhorn, EFI Live By ANARCHY Diesel, 4" flopro turbo back with muffler, S&B air box and filter, Edge Insight CTS2, 2" HBS level, Bilstein 5100s in all 4 corners with steering stabilizer, PacBrake Airbags, GDP Fuel Filter under the hood, Supernova V3 LED headlights and my EGR stuff ran away, lemme know if you find it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

So, also I noticed this morning that the “electronic brake requires service” flashed and I’ve seen all of this is connected together. The mechanic has looked at it today, the one who did the AC and can’t figure it out. It really sounds like a harness isn’t correct or something. I’m going crazy over this. Has anybody figured anything else out to try?
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Diesel Freakazoid

Garage
Its either a disconnected harness or damaged wire some where Are you sure it said "electronic brake requires service" and not "emergency brake requires service"? are any other functions not working with your steering wheel controls? did you triple check the adjustment and placement of the brake switch that must be removed to pull the dash?

2012 MCSB DRW 3500 Laramie Longhorn, EFI Live By ANARCHY Diesel, 4" flopro turbo back with muffler, S&B air box and filter, Edge Insight CTS2, 2" HBS level, Bilstein 5100s in all 4 corners with steering stabilizer, PacBrake Airbags, GDP Fuel Filter under the hood, Supernova V3 LED headlights and my EGR stuff ran away, lemme know if you find it

HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Its either a disconnected harness or damaged wire some where Are you sure it said "electronic brake requires service" and not "emergency brake requires service"? are any other functions not working with your steering wheel controls? did you triple check the adjustment and placement of the brake switch that must be removed to pull the dash?

Yes it says electronic brake service required, all other functions on the steering wheel are working properly, and I have checked the brake switch again. Chrysler just put a new shift solenoid in the transmission last month and it shifts terribly hard between 3rd and 4th gears. I’m wondering if that is related to this and the AC work was just coincidence timing. If that helps with any ideas, please let me know
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Cummins Fan

Having a similar issue with mine.

My thread does not have as much traction as yours, but here it is. Included is a code and video.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...ings-help.html

2017 2500 Laramie ~ CC 6'4" ~ 6.7L ~ 68RFE ~ Pearl White ~ Sport Appearance Group ~ Rough Country Steps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode