Class V hitch/auto leveling air suspension? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Class V hitch/auto leveling air suspension?

I posted a question in towing/hauling section and didn't get the info I was looking for.

I would like to hear from people that have the air suspension and tow with a WDH. How do you properly set it up Step by step?

It seems like the air suspension is going to level the truck but at the same time so is a WDH so its confusing.

Toy hauler
Dry weight: 5448
GVWR:7500
Hitch weight:620

Also my hitch is a Class V hitch 6814077SAE. I can't find any specs at all. Anyone have info what the WC and WC/WDH is?

2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 long bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 PM

From my 2018 3500’s manual (sorry the spacing didn’t copy and paste very well):

“Towing With 2500/3500 Air Suspension
1. Position the truck to be ready to connect to the trailer (do not connect the trailer).
NOTE: Normal Ride Height (NRH) or Alternate Trailer Height (ATH) can be used. The vehicle must remain in the engine running position while attaching a trailer for proper leveling of the air suspension system. It may not be possible to enter Alternate Trailer Height (ATH) while lightly loaded.
2. Measuretheheightofthetopofthefrontwheelopening on the fender to ground, this is height H1.
3. Attach the trailer to the vehicle without the weight distribution bars connected.
4. Measuretheheightofthetopofthefrontwheelopening on the fender to ground, this is height H2.
5. Install and adjust the tension in the weight distributing bars per the manufacturers’ recommendations so that the height of the front fender is approximately (H2-H1)/ 2+H1 (about 1/2 the difference between H2 and H1 above normal ride height [H1]).
6. Preform a visual inspection of the trailer and weight distributing hitch to confirm manufacturers’ recommen- dations have been met.
Measurement Example
Example 2500/3500 Height (mm)
H1 1030
H2 1058 H2-H1 28 (H2-H1)/2 14
(H2-H1)/2 + H1 1044
NOTE: For all towing conditions, we recommend towing with tow haul mode engaged.”

It also states that
“Trailer Hitch Type and Maximum Trailer Weight The following chart provides the maximum trailer weight a given factory equipped trailer hitch type can tow”

The chart shows class V as
rated for 18000lbs towing and 1800lbs TW

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

^^ What rforestr said. Follow the manual and it should work out for you.

The biggest irritant for me was that you have to leave the truck running as you are setting it up, because the truck will try to return it to ride height after 10 minutes or so. So get everything put on correctly before you start doing the adjusting.

Biggest thing to watch for: when you put the weight on the truck, wait a few seconds because it will lift the rear end up. Don't get your hands between any pinch points. It will do it again after you remove the weight. Again, watch your hands.

What hitch and shank are you using?

For WC/WDH, it is 1200/1700 for the general numbers, but I read here that the 2018 goes up to 1800 with the WDH. Don't know your year.

EDIT: ah, 2014. Here. looks like 1700 for you. See note at the end.

'18 Granite Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 CTD / Air Susp / Anti Spin / Wheel-to-Wheel Sidesteps / Husky Guards / Dee Zee Assist / Gator FX /AVS Aeroskin II / I-P Switches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
^^ What rforestr said. Follow the manual and it should work out for you.

The biggest irritant for me was that you have to leave the truck running as you are setting it up, because the truck will try to return it to ride height after 10 minutes or so. So get everything put on correctly before you start doing the adjusting.

Biggest thing to watch for: when you put the weight on the truck, wait a few seconds because it will lift the rear end up. Don't get your hands between any pinch points. It will do it again after you remove the weight. Again, watch your hands.

What hitch and shank are you using?

For WC/WDH, it is 1200/1700 for the general numbers, but I read here that the 2018 goes up to 1800 with the WDH. Don't know your year.
I'm picking up the toy hauler tomorrow and the guy is giving me his setup that he was using so i'm exactly sure what he has yet.

So if i can understand this correctly- I will put my truck in ALT height mode and back up to the trailer, leave my truck running, and then lower the trailer on the truck. The truck will then level it's self back to the ALT height? then I would hook up my weight distribution hitch after it's leveled?

I would normally leave my trailer hooked up to the truck while I camp. Can I still do that if its in ALT height mode? Or will it adjust to normal after 10 minutes? What if you stop for lunch in the road?

2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 long bed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,523 Posts
With that light weight trailer, I wouldn't even use the WDH bars.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZhunter79 View Post
I'm picking up the toy hauler tomorrow and the guy is giving me his setup that he was using so i'm exactly sure what he has yet.

So if i can understand this correctly- I will put my truck in ALT height mode and back up to the trailer, leave my truck running, and then lower the trailer on the truck. The truck will then level it's self back to the ALT height? then I would hook up my weight distribution hitch after it's leveled?

I would normally leave my trailer hooked up to the truck while I camp. Can I still do that if its in ALT height mode? Or will it adjust to normal after 10 minutes?
My experience:
I had the Fastway E2 hitch with the longest drop 2.5" shank and had to use ALT mode. I then moved up to the Equalizer E4 for my new trailer. Same shank, but the hitch head sits lower, so I don't use ALT mode for it. So it will depend on the hitch.

First, follow the instructions of the hitch to attach to shank. This will determine how close hitch head height and coupler height are to each other. Truck should be running to make sure it's not leveling for parking. Keep truck running. You'll determine ALT height or not at this point.

Using truck manual as guide, do your front fender height measurement with the truck running and in ALT or not, depending on hitch head and coupler height.

Drop the trailer on the hitch and wait for the truck to auto rise. Measure front fender again.

Leave the truck running, in ALT as necessary (based on hitch head height and coupler height), and drop the tongue on the hitch. In a few seconds it will adjust. If it's like mine, you lock the coupler and raise the tongue high enough to get the spring bars on the L brackets. Once you install the bars, you then lower the tongue jack to put all the weight back on the truck. Truck will self adjust while you are doing this. Measure your front fender height at this point to see if adjustments are necessary.

Once you're adjusted, you follow the last paragraph above not including adjusting and you are good to go. Fine adjustments may be necessary later.

The manual makes it seem more confusing then it turns out it is.

I think it will stay in ALT mode until you turn it off manually.

'18 Granite Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 CTD / Air Susp / Anti Spin / Wheel-to-Wheel Sidesteps / Husky Guards / Dee Zee Assist / Gator FX /AVS Aeroskin II / I-P Switches
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZhunter79 View Post

I would normally leave my trailer hooked up to the truck while I camp. Can I still do that if its in ALT height mode? Or will it adjust to normal after 10 minutes?
My experience:
I had the Fastway E2 hitch with the longest drop 2.5" shank and had to use ALT mode. I then moved up to the Equalizer E4 for my new trailer. Same shank, but the hitch head sits lower, so I don't use ALT mode for it. So it will depend on the hitch.

First, follow the instructions of the hitch to attach to shank. This will determine how close hitch head height and coupler height are to each other. Truck should be running to make sure it's not leveling for parking. Keep truck running. You'll determine ALT height or not at this point.

Using truck manual as guide, do your front fender height measurement with the truck running and in ALT or not, depending on hitch head and coupler height.

Drop the trailer on the hitch and wait for the truck to auto rise. Measure front fender again.

Leave the truck running, in ALT as necessary (based on hitch head height and coupler height), and drop the tongue on the hitch. In a few seconds it will adjust. If it's like mine, you lock the coupler and raise the tongue high enough to get the spring bars on the L brackets. Once you install the bars, you then lower the tongue jack to put all the weight back on the truck. Truck will self adjust while you are doing this. Measure your front fender height at this point to see if adjustments are necessary.

Once you're adjusted, you follow the last paragraph above not including adjusting and you are good to go. Fine adjustments may be necessary later.

The manual makes it seem more confusing then it turns out it is.

I think it will stay in ALT mode until you turn it off manually.
The truck won’t self adjust if you put it into tire jack mode.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:03 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
But, you want the truck to auto adjust to ride height with the weight while getting the measurement. Won't tire jack mode present an incorrect height? I wouldn't use it doing the setup.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
But, you want the truck to auto adjust to ride height with the weight while getting the measurement. Won't tire jack mode present an incorrect height? I wouldn't use it doing the setup.
In that case yes. I disable it after hooking up, so I can use the tongue jack to lift a little to make getting the bars on easier.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
The Following User Says Thank You to Lins For This Useful Post:
IchLiebeBier (04-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode