crazy dash or? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
crazy dash or?

OK this morning I used the remote start on my truck to start it, truck had been sitting for 3 days outside, , weather has been NUTS< the past 3 days here! 20 degree's, rain, sleet snow, ice, and into the 70's?
it was DRY this morning and about 48 degree's!

truck started fine, I let it idle about 5 minutes before heading outside
got in truck all seemed ok
inserted key fob, turn to RUN position, put truck in reverse to back up some
and dash idiot lights started flashing all sorts of things
one said, ANTI LOCK BRAKES NEED SERVICE, next was Traction control lights flashing?
then all my parking sensors stated NOT working or on?
the on switches for them(have two) both were lighted up and would NOT allow me to change them, I could push them and NOTHING would happen!
Check Engine light was also on?
put truck in park, and still coul;d not turn on/OFF the parking ensor's
everything seemed fine? truck ran great before parking it?
NO puddles of anything under it??
HUMM
WTH??
SO< I shut the truck off, and re started and ALL is GOOD, no idiot lights on and everything seemed to be workinga s it should??
truck has 44,000 miles on it, and a 2016

any clue what this is about??
and I'll add a second issue I had happen recently!

and forgive me if this is known info and I just don;t know about it?

I was driving down a rural back road, was expecting fan important phone call some time during the day, and as always, got the call as soon as I started driving
SO, I pulled off the side of the road(low traffic road here) as I knew I would need to write a few things down!
I was stopped on the side of the road, and for what ever reason I just sat there with my foot on the brake, truck trans in PARK, but again I had my foot still on the brake petal
call lasted about 5 minutes, never shut truck motor off, BUT when I TRIED to put truck back in DRIVE, it would NOT let me, the shifter had been locked out , ZERO movement was allowed??
Had to again shut truck off and re start and all was fine??
I gather MAYBE something to do with me sitting so long in park with my foot on the brake(5 min or less)
but never had this happen before, so, made me wonder WTH< is this normal, safety feature I am NOT aware of ??

SO< any thoughts??
besides get my foot off the brake when in park LOL

thanks in advance!

2016 2500 crew cab Big Horn, Cummins, short bed, 4x4 cap, SIlver in coler
My 10th or so 2500 dodge/ram, now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I would check both batteries...these trucks can act weird with low voltage.

Make sure you disconnect one of the batteries and test them individually...if you leave them connected you can get a good reading from the opposite battery while testing a bad battery.
cwendel likes this.

2018 3500 Laramie CCLB DRW 4x4 6.7CTD/Aisin w/4.10 Delmonico Red Pearlcoat
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody M6, Octane Red 1-of-1 Globally
2016 2500 CC/SB 4X4 6.7/68RFE, White [TRADED]
2005 3500 Laramie CCLB DRW 4X4 5.9CTD [SOLD]
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

don't know if its a battery issue, but I can for sure have the tested to see
thanks for the thought, will check them and see what they show

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Diesel Head

Wasn’t there a main body wiring harness behind the drivers plastic fender well near the firewall that in some cases has been known to not make perfect connection? Maybe get some electric contact cleaner, clean male and female sides and then di-electric grease it back together?

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Was there a parking/brake interlock recall for the 16s also?

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.80 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Yes there was a recall and the recall was for holding the brake too long would over heat the transmission safety interlock and it would fail to allow one to get the truck out of park or fail open and you would no longer need to push the brake in at all to shift out of park.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 QC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsconver For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (04-11-2019)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 AM
GCR
Cummins Nut

If it happens again, hit the lock button on your door and see if the warnings go away. One or more of the modules didn't wake up and locking the doors brings everyone back online. At least, that's what happens on my truck. I've had messages to replace fuel filters, service trailer brake system, 4WD service, and the exhaust brake switch non responsive, all at the same time. Locking the doors from the driver's door lock button corrects it every time.

I complained about it under warranty and the dealer had no answer, so I live with it as it doesn't seem to cause any other issues. I may see it once every 2 months.

2003 HO 2500 4X4 Quad Cab- Sold.
2014 Laramie 2500 4X4 Crew Cab, Granite Crystal/Silver 68RFE arrived 03/18/14.
ARB Intensity and Rigid SAE Fog Lights. HID projectors. 7" HID driving spots.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

thanks, for the reply's and thought's

as for recalls, I had the trans interlock recall done already, so not sure if that should have prevented this or not?
and its only done it once, but then again I have only ever done what I did that day once too LOL

I guess I could try and see if I can get it to repeat, I just didn;t as of yet, as I was playing it off as a NO big deal, but then after this second event with the dash displays , had me a wondering if something was going on!

The truck sits 2-3+ days a week not being used, and has all its life, so, wasn't sure if maybe moisture issues are at play here too, due to its parked on dirt/gravel! and been getting a LOT of rain ,m like every 2-3 days the past 2 yrs ?

OH thanks again, going to have battery's tested later in the week, and will report back on that and maybe try sitting with foot on brake again and see if it locks up again or not?

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb1 View Post
OK this morning I used the remote start on my truck to start it, truck had been sitting for 3 days outside, , weather has been NUTS< the past 3 days here! 20 degree's, rain, sleet snow, ice, and into the 70's?
it was DRY this morning and about 48 degree's!

truck started fine, I let it idle about 5 minutes before heading outside
got in truck all seemed ok
inserted key fob, turn to RUN position, put truck in reverse to back up some
and dash idiot lights started flashing all sorts of things
one said, ANTI LOCK BRAKES NEED SERVICE, next was Traction control lights flashing?
then all my parking sensors stated NOT working or on?
the on switches for them(have two) both were lighted up and would NOT allow me to change them, I could push them and NOTHING would happen!
Check Engine light was also on?
put truck in park, and still coul;d not turn on/OFF the parking ensor's
everything seemed fine? truck ran great before parking it?
NO puddles of anything under it??
HUMM
WTH??
SO< I shut the truck off, and re started and ALL is GOOD, no idiot lights on and everything seemed to be workinga s it should??
truck has 44,000 miles on it, and a 2016

any clue what this is about??
and I'll add a second issue I had happen recently!

and forgive me if this is known info and I just don;t know about it?

I was driving down a rural back road, was expecting fan important phone call some time during the day, and as always, got the call as soon as I started driving
SO, I pulled off the side of the road(low traffic road here) as I knew I would need to write a few things down!
I was stopped on the side of the road, and for what ever reason I just sat there with my foot on the brake, truck trans in PARK, but again I had my foot still on the brake petal
call lasted about 5 minutes, never shut truck motor off, BUT when I TRIED to put truck back in DRIVE, it would NOT let me, the shifter had been locked out , ZERO movement was allowed??
Had to again shut truck off and re start and all was fine??
I gather MAYBE something to do with me sitting so long in park with my foot on the brake(5 min or less)
but never had this happen before, so, made me wonder WTH< is this normal, safety feature I am NOT aware of ??

SO< any thoughts??
besides get my foot off the brake when in park LOL

thanks in advance!
Hmmmmm...........sounds like you need to visit the Ford dealer, they probably know how to fix this!!! Then again, maybe not!!!!!! LOL! Just kidding. Can’t really help you here, I am still mostly in the read and learn phase of Ram ownwership. Good luck.

Desert Don, in the Grand Canyon State
2018 3500 DRW, 2013 Raptor @ 41’ long and 18000 GVW.......and too many toys!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb1 View Post
thanks, for the reply's and thought's

as for recalls, I had the trans interlock recall done already, so not sure if that should have prevented this or not?
and its only done it once, but then again I have only ever done what I did that day once too LOL

I guess I could try and see if I can get it to repeat, I just didn;t as of yet, as I was playing it off as a NO big deal, but then after this second event with the dash displays , had me a wondering if something was going on!

The truck sits 2-3+ days a week not being used, and has all its life, so, wasn't sure if maybe moisture issues are at play here too, due to its parked on dirt/gravel! and been getting a LOT of rain ,m like every 2-3 days the past 2 yrs ?

OH thanks again, going to have battery's tested later in the week, and will report back on that and maybe try sitting with foot on brake again and see if it locks up again or not?
As for the shift interlock, since you had the recall done, your truck did exactly what it was supposed to do. If you sit in park with your foot on the brake for more than 3 minutes, the interlock will reset, therefore you have to take your foot off of the brake pedal and press it again to shift into gear. This prevents the interlock from burning up.
For the abs lights, traction control, tire pressure monitor, etc situation- it was most likely just a temporary loss of communication with one of the modules. As soon as you did a drive cycle, and the BCM realized there wasn’t an issue, everything went back to normal.
RayK likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy07 For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (04-11-2019)
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

OK so went to leave today, used remote start again, just to see

let ifle 5 minutes got in truck, all seemed OK
put truck in reverse and all same idiot lights and messages started again.

"service anti lock brake, service electric brakes, traction control, park sensors, and again wouldn;'t let me turn sensors on with there switches,

tried using the door locks' and they worked but didn;t reset anything,
re started like last time, and started right up, but a few second after starting/as soon as I put in reverse , same messages started flashing again, I took Pic's of them this time

shut truck of a second time, waited 5 minutes, and then restarted and all seems OK

I didn;t test batterys under a load YET with a load tester, but the volt reading on the trucks display read 12 volts motor OFF and reads 14 while running!
and again truck starts EASY, spins fast no struggle like a lower battery, but I know this doesn't mean all is good on battery's
just saying!

now something else I noticed today, my TPMS readings on my rear tires were reading 73 lf rear and 81 right rear(normally read 75)
any how, I drove like 150 ft and they went right back to normal reading the same pressure?
I know pressure changes with temps and heat from driving, but only going a 150 ft, that's a BIG jump up on one and DOWN on the other!
fronts read what they normally do!
I am NOT really worried about this, but something I just noticed today< so thought I would post
I DID get a flat tire about 3 weeks ago, on the right rear, so no clue if that has anything to do with reading snow being a little funky??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	845337   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	845339   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	845341  

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Diesel Head

Did you check the harness connector behind the drivers front wheel well liner? Close to cab body mount or no?

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode