Resetting your TPMS light with AlfaOBD - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Resetting your TPMS light with AlfaOBD

There are several threads on this and they are either outdated and/or require very special and VERY expensive equipment. I run my rear tires on my 2500 at 60 psi because I like keeping my teeth in my head and my kidneys unbruised. But I have to deal with the bright yellow light on the dash and having to clear the EVIC every time I start up. Until now......

As mentioned in some other threads, there is simple software you can put on an Android phone/tablet (sorry iPhone!) or a Windows PC for $49. It's called AlfaOBD. And with a $79 OBD connector from Amazon (cheaper ones may work), you can get at just about ANY setting in your truck (or Jeep or any FCA vehicle). To the point that it's practically dangerous how many things you can enable/disable although I haven't seen one person who posted yet that they bricked their CPU. If you pay attention, it's pretty easy to use.

I have a 2018 2500. All I had to do was go to my local dealer's parts counter and ask for my PIN number. You need that to reset the RF hub to make the TPMS reset. Otherwise you can do just about everything else without it. All I had to do is show my registration and license to prove I owned it.

And the other thing I needed is was a firewall bypass harness. Starting with ANY FCA 2018+ year vehicle, you WILL need this to write to the computers. This is because someone figured out it is real easy to hack the 4 G or WiFi in your FCA vehicle and possibly take over your vehicle's computer. So starting in 2018, FCA put in a firewall between the brains and the rest of the vechicle electronics. This cable allows you to talk to everything at once to reprogram things. If your vehicle is 2017 or older, you do NOT need a firewall bypass wire harness. There's a guy in another Ram forum that makes this cable (and others) for $50. I got that and it was a 90 second installation. Link is below on how to order one.

So with my phone, the cable, and the PIN; I reset my TPMS to 60 psi in about 30 seconds. It was a glorious day!!!! I also enabled daytime running lights by use of my driving lights.
I also made the radio come up with the SRT logo when I start the truck. Why? Because I can!

And I in no way have any affiliation with AlfaOBD, the harness guy, or anything else with this stuff. I'm just a technology nerd searching for a way to reprogram my TPMS light and finally found a way to do it without borrowing somebody's $1000 diagnostic tool.

Your mileage may vary. I just wanted to pass along my success for anyone that is looking to do this. I see TPMS mentioned a lot but no easy solutions, until now. If anyone is interested in a step by step, I provided links below of what you need to purchase and read up on for general instructions. There is a LOT it can do, but my focus was really only on the TPMS stuff.

Many many many thanks to Ghost_RAM and Deereguy in the Ram Forum for planting the seed and sharing the harvest. I apologize and I am not trying to pimp out another forum. I just want to give credit where it is due. The How-To is not mine. I am only graciously paying it forward with the help of trailblazers that plunged into this jungle before me

You NEED:
An Android phone/tablet OR Windows PC to run the AlfaOBD software
AlphaOBD software: ANDROID --> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lfaOBD.AlfaOBD or WINDOWS --> AlfaOBD
If you have a 2018+ Ram, you need a security bypass harness: Contact Deereguy in this AlfaOBD thread https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/
ScanTool OBDLink MX: http://a.co/d/ekzKOaJ
TPMS How-to: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16G...ALPmXgR3QuHDZh
Your PIN number from the Parts Department at a dealer. You need to have ID when you go. That is FCA's police on giving it out. You own it, so they have to give it to you.

Disclaimer: I am NOT responsible in anyway for what you do with this. It worked for me and one can only assume it will work for you. You are messing with a CPU that costs a LOT of money, so pay attention to what you are doing!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MajorMalfunction For This Useful Post:
GlennRMK (11-14-2018), Kingsize (11-14-2018), kry226 (11-15-2018), nick00less (11-14-2018), ramrocker (11-17-2018), RayK (01-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Diesel Freak

A step by step is always a good thing.

2017 Ram 2500 Laramie CTD 68rfe 4x4 CC SB
post #3 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Diesel Freak

Links and more information would be massively helpful.

2017 2500 MegaCab Laramie 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I updated my original post with links to the app, 2018+ harness, and OBD connector. I'll update a TPMS how-to once I'm able to spend some time in my truck and going through the menus. It's a 2 part process (set the TPMS then flash the RF hub) and the drill down through the menu selections are numerous and can be intimidating. There are threads and some screen shots available in the other Ram forum thread, but I think they are way too generic and not detailed enough, IMHO.
post #5 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,225 Posts
Resetting your TPMS light with AlfaOBD

****UPDATE****

Successfully changed my TPMS to TPIS like on the 3500’s. No more min/max threshold!!

If anyone wants me to do this for them just PM me. I can change this setting plus hundreds of other settings!! FYI not for free. But I’m fair and reasonable

Located in Aubrey,Tx

Bruce12 likes this.

'14 6.7 S465 tuned by CTT
'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
'18 6.7 S467.7 tuned by CTT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick00less For This Useful Post:
charliepff (01-09-2019), RayK (01-16-2019)
post #6 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Diesel Head

The thread on ram forum has the 3 page step by step process in a google folder. It's posted in the very first post with all the how-to. It's quite a neat program, actually, from what I've read on there.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
The Following User Says Thank You to Lins For This Useful Post:
MajorMalfunction (11-14-2018)
post #7 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
The thread on ram forum has the 3 page step by step process in a google folder. It's posted in the very first post with all the how-to. It's quite a neat program, actually, from what I've read on there.
Thanks for pointing out the HOW-TO folder! Duh, I forgot that was there. On that home page thread there is a link to a Google Drive Folder. Go to the HOW-TO and there is a PDF with TPMS instructions. I'll try to post it on my first page post.
post #8 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post
@MajorMalfunction how much would you charge to loan me said products? Would you be up for that? Quick way to make $

Lemme know
Sorry cannot help you there. I'm still in the tinkering stage and will no doubt be playing with this stuff for quite some time. Thought I figured out how to enable the exhaust brake at all times, but cannot so far. It's in the menus, but its then removed from selection once you actually connect to the computer.
post #9 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMalfunction View Post
Sorry cannot help you there. I'm still in the tinkering stage and will no doubt be playing with this stuff for quite some time. Thought I figured out how to enable the exhaust brake at all times, but cannot so far. It's in the menus, but its then removed from selection once you actually connect to the computer.

Figured it was worth a shot. Thanks bud

'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post
Figured it was worth a shot. Thanks bud
It's fairly cheap. Unfortunately my ELM327 doesn't work with alfaOBD (you can download and poke around for free, just can't change anything - but I can't even connect yet), and Amazon.ca is out of stock of the OBDLINK MX Bluetooth. If it doesn't get back in stock by the end of November, I'll order it from Amazon.com for a couple more bucks. Black Friday is also just around the corner... The program licence is only $49 euros if you get the PC version and then you're able to do some serious changes that Autel, AE, Witech, OBD Genie, can only do. Some things alfaOBD can do and they can't and vice-versa. TPMS, tire size changes, adding cargo cam, bed lighting, change lights to LED to rid light out warnings, etc. Developer is very helpful, has responded to all my email within a day at the longest and I haven't even purchased the licence yet. Works with you on errors to improve the product.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
The Following User Says Thank You to Lins For This Useful Post:
goncrazy99518 (11-18-2018)
post #11 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
It's fairly cheap. Unfortunately my ELM327 doesn't work with alfaOBD (you can download and poke around for free, just can't change anything - but I can't even connect yet), and Amazon.ca is out of stock of the OBDLINK MX Bluetooth. If it doesn't get back in stock by the end of November, I'll order it from Amazon.com for a couple more bucks. Black Friday is also just around the corner... The program licence is only $49 euros if you get the PC version and then you're able to do some serious changes that Autel, AE, Witech, OBD Genie, can only do. Some things alfaOBD can do and they can't and vice-versa. TPMS, tire size changes, adding cargo cam, bed lighting, change lights to LED to rid light out warnings, etc. Developer is very helpful, has responded to all my email within a day at the longest and I haven't even purchased the licence yet. Works with you on errors to improve the product.
The things you can change are amazing. Change your bulbs to LEDs? I've read that you can easily go in and say you now have LEDs which will get rid of the "bulb out" error in the EVIC some people get. If you add keyless start, no need to go to the dealer to have your computer flashed. Or if you add the cargo cam or backup cam. You can enable it on your own so you can see it in the menus, etc.

And there is just dumb fun things like making my Big Horn say LIMITED in the EVIC when it starts up instead.
post #12 of 462 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Diesel Head

1. Does this cable the other forum member sell simply connect from my laptop into my obd port?

2. You haven’t purchased the license yet (full version?) so that means your still runnng the free version? And the free version allows you to adjust tpms? Sorry I got confused trying to follow. I may have over looked something.
Lins likes this.

'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode