Free-spin options and bypassing the CAD - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013+ General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Grease Monkey

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Free-spin options and bypassing the CAD

Looking to see what anyone has done if any at all, my last truck that had the CAD setup in it was nothing but a pain in the *%$ and i had nothing but issues with it, no seeing that this truck (2013 ram 3500) has the same setup for the most part i am looking at doing either the RAM MAN INC kit using the unitized hub bearing setups, which if you look at the engineering behind it, it is really solid for the most part and uses the factory style ford lockers with a machined sleeve on the inner bearing and the locker has a custom sleeve that makes it all work. Or do i go with an older style Dynatrac setup like the older D60's, where the bearing loads are spread out much further and i can get the bearings almost anywhere out there. As far as the CAD bypass there are a few companies out there that make a replacement axle shaft and a cover plate for the CAD or you can just leave it in place to avoid having to deal with the damn service 4x4 lights. Post part numbers and pics if you got em on what you did and why, trying to avoid unnecessary wear and tear o the front end if at all possible, plus i need a new axle seal on the passenger side so this is all on the list of to do's.

FC1(SW)Beauchamp
LHD-6 USS Bonhomme Richard, LHD-2 USS Essex, eDD-964 USS Paul F. Foster

"If you have anything really valuable to contribute to the world, It will come through the expression of your own personality, That single spark of divinity that sets you off and makes you different from every other living creature."
-Brother Bruce Barton
/G\ S.M.I.B. /G\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I personally don't like the Ram guy type due to the load carrying capacity of the bearings. But if you're not running big tires you may get a lot of life out of them. I like the Dynatrac, or others like you said already the bearings are sourced easily, and they're spaced further apart to handle loads or bigger tires much better...not that you'll ever need to replace them, they're huge, as long as you keep them greased. Some guys don't want the hassle of greasing. That's the way I see it anyway.
utahtrapper likes this.

03 Dodge SHO CCLB Dually Carli/Thuren Argon Shocks, shackles, radius arms, SRW 4 link Conversion, 17"methods, 42" Goodyear MTR Kevlar Tires / 6 in a row ready to tow!
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Grease Monkey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
I personally don't like the Ram guy type due to the load carrying capacity of the bearings. But if you're not running big tires you may get a lot of life out of them. I like the Dynatrac, or others like you said already the bearings are sourced easily, and they're spaced further apart to handle loads or bigger tires much better...not that you'll ever need to replace them, they're huge, as long as you keep them greased. Some guys don't want the hassle of greasing. That's the way I see it anyway.
running 35's and out on rough roads and on a ranch quiet a bit, thats another reason that i am leaning more towards the old school style dynatrac or spyntec setups, more concerned with how far some of these hubs stick out as well, i am running these on a DRW truck but i am running a standard SRW style wheel up front so the tires aren't overly stretched on the tire with no DRW spacers of course...so i don't want the locker itself sticking out there past the tires edge itself, and i know wheel offsets and stuff like that can play a factor, but looking more so for the lowest profile hub design in the older style setups.

FC1(SW)Beauchamp

"If you have anything really valuable to contribute to the world, It will come through the expression of your own personality, That single spark of divinity that sets you off and makes you different from every other living creature."
-Brother Bruce Barton
/G\ S.M.I.B. /G\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeau903 View Post
running 35's and out on rough roads and on a ranch quiet a bit, thats another reason that i am leaning more towards the old school style dynatrac or spyntec setups, more concerned with how far some of these hubs stick out as well, i am running these on a DRW truck but i am running a standard SRW style wheel up front so the tires aren't overly stretched on the tire with no DRW spacers of course...so i don't want the locker itself sticking out there past the tires edge itself, and i know wheel offsets and stuff like that can play a factor, but looking more so for the lowest profile hub design in the older style setups.
I'm running Spyntec's Spin free kit on my 04 (also running 35's) and I absolutely love them. So glad I went this route as I missed the locking hubs on my old Tacoma. They do not stick out very far IMO, and I really like the way they look. My buddy with the same truck is running The Dynatrac version, he likes his as well. If you get Dynatrac's lockers they are a bit more low profile. Overall both are comparable, both top notch quality.

Added benefit is you can use low gearing in 2WD if you want for reverse purposes.

Baked on some black gun barrel coating to the housings

Stick out:

mattswaggs and zbeau903 like this.

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
The Following User Says Thank You to krashDH For This Useful Post:
zbeau903 (11-06-2017)
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Ya the hubs don't stick out past the wheels or tires, at least on mine. But, that's because the bearings are in there doing their job.
utahtrapper, zbeau903 and Jimmy N. like this.

03 Dodge SHO CCLB Dually Carli/Thuren Argon Shocks, shackles, radius arms, SRW 4 link Conversion, 17"methods, 42" Goodyear MTR Kevlar Tires / 6 in a row ready to tow!
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Grease Monkey

Garage
Awesome guys thanks another big difference between the 2 is i can get the Spyntech shorty kit for 1550-1600 bucks to my door and the Dynatrac kit for 2300 to my door, so it looks like i will be giving Spyntech a try to save some coin, and from what i have found so far everyone running the spyntechs loves them and have some serious mileage on them as well with no issues.

FC1(SW)Beauchamp

-Brother Bruce Barton
/G\ S.M.I.B. /G\
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:42 PM
White Lightning

Thanked 5,877 Times in 3,154 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeau903 View Post
Awesome guys thanks another big difference between the 2 is i can get the Spyntech shorty kit for 1550-1600 bucks to my door and the Dynatrac kit for 2300 to my door, so it looks like i will be giving Spyntech a try to save some coin, and from what i have found so far everyone running the spyntechs loves them and have some serious mileage on them as well with no issues.
That would almost buy 8 unit bearings from SKF
willydmax and HeavyTwo like this.

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60” C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDR’s, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 110,649 miles and 1,944 hours as of March 15th, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.9)
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Grease Monkey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbrockman View Post
That would almost buy 8 unit bearings from SKF
I don't have the time or the want to to deal with x8 unit bearings personally....i would rather do this right and do it 1 time, plus having the older style stuff is easier to repair for the most part as well as getting bearings and keeping a set of bearing in the truck for emergencies is a hell of a lot less space consuming and cheaper than a whole unitized setup, i ran my old kingpin d60 on my dmax silverado front end and beat the hell out of that thing and never skipped a beat, i don't mind spending the extra if it saves me time and is more reliable than these unitized weak hubs!
krashDH and utahtrapper like this.

FC1(SW)Beauchamp

-Brother Bruce Barton
/G\ S.M.I.B. /G\
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Cummins Freak

Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I had the Ram man's hubs on my 12' and the worked well with my 35's. He uses a ford 3500 tapered roller bearing and the design is great but the one Flaw that I didn't like is the axle stubs just floated inside the unit bearing with no clip or anything to hold it!! Seems to put the axle weight on the bearing, I only had them for about 15,000 miles so I don't know about the longevity of the units!! If I were to do it again I would probably go another Route!!!

2018 Ram 2500 SLT Bighorn 4X4 White /295 Toyo AT2's /Full Console swop/w shifter / B&W Turnover Ball----
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie Cummins, 35" Toyo AT's / Center Console Shifter Mod. SOLD---- 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 Crew-Silver- 4:10's / Carli 3" Coils w/35" Toyo AT2's / Ranch Hand Bumper / B&W Turnover Ball / Center Console Swap w shifter SOLD!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Diesel Head

Had the DynaTrac setup on my '14 2500 and loved it.
When time and money permits, the '17 will get DynaTrac, too. I can't change the laws of physics, so the tried and true spindle with widely spaced bearings is the logical choice to me.
zbeau903 likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '17 2500 in the household.
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
I did the Spyntec (Solid Axle) hub conversion on my last truck. I have the same sitting in my garage waiting to be installed for this one as well. Just have to wait till I can get some new wheels as the conversion wont fit with the Longhorn 18" wheels I have.

Still hoping for a CAD delete though, I was hugely disappointed they brought that back.

Last edited by battlerattle; 11-06-2017 at 02:50 PM.
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Diesel Freak

Will go with DynaTrac on my 06 when the time comes for the front wheel bearing.
Hopefully later rather than sooner.

2006 Blue Laramie DRW. 3500 5.9 G56 Mobil Delvac 50, Tans Cool PTO Covers, GDP Fuel Boss, GDP Double-X Ladder Bars, GPD big line kit, GDP MK-2 Fuel filter kit with CAT UHE 416 1225, GDP Power-Flo Intake Manifold, Throttle Up Industries Dual Fuel Filters, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cool Hose, Timbrens, 26k with Horses in Trailer, ................... BBi's .5 Towing Injectors WOW!
Carli Ball Joints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode