CEL... Not the diagnosis I wanted to hear - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
CEL... Not the diagnosis I wanted to hear - UPDATE W/CODES

I have 3,000 miles on my 13. The first CEL came on about 4 weeks ago, but I didn't notice anything different, and it cleared itself...

Last week the second CEL came on. I noticed it wasn't running very good, so I made an appointment to have the dealer look at it, and took it in this morning.

This afternoon the service Mgr. called and said, " We have never seen this code before. We aren't even sure what it means".
They did agree it was running crappy, and wanted to keep it until next week, so they can try and figure out what it is.
He said they have been talking with the engineers at Dodge, and even they don't know what the hell it is.

At least they gave me a new pickup to drive as a loaner.

2012 Laramie CC HD 2500 4X4 H.O CTD Auto 3.73 Limited Slip - Loaded... Toyo AT2 Extreme 285/75/17 - Bilstein 5100's - ProTech tool box - Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlights - Rhino Lining

Last edited by 02 Cummins Guy; 10-24-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Update...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Scary. Hope it works out
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Diesel Freak

That's promising. The engineers that designed it don't even know what they wrote.

13 2500 CCSB Laramie 4x4|8" BDS|20x12 fuels|38" toyo mt
13 3500 CCLB 4x4- work truck
08 2500 QCSB 4x4-602hp/1172tq|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Diesel Head

Did they tell you what the code was?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

They didn't tell me what the code was. Their service dept. is open today, so I'm going to go over there in an hour or so, and talk to them. If I find out what the code is, or get any more info, I'll post it up for everyone.

I don't know how it can have a code but nobody knows what it is, even though it affects the way it runs.

On a different note, the 1500's with the Hemi are kinda fun to drive.
The loaner has the 5.7, but it would really be fun with the 6.1

2012 Laramie CC HD 2500 4X4 H.O CTD Auto 3.73 Limited Slip - Loaded... Toyo AT2 Extreme 285/75/17 - Bilstein 5100's - ProTech tool box - Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlights - Rhino Lining
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Sounds like your truck was built by Skynet and has now evolved... became self aware... and capable of generating its own CEL codes that your dealer can't find.

I hope you get this resolved and all works out well... but I would have little faith in a dealer who is unable to match a pre programmed code to its diagnostic description that must exist.

2013 RAM 3500 Laramie SRW CC 4x4 68RFE 3.42 CTD
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

So far I have good feelings about the service department.
I have taken the truck in a few times for minor things so far. The most annoying issue is a very loud knocking noise at idle, and on acceleration. It sounds like very severe detonation in a gas engine, and sometimes almost sounds like a rod knocking.

It doesn't do it all the time, but it did actually do it once while they had it.
They couldn't isolate the problem, but told me they had been talking with the engineers on this issue as well, and even opened a case with Dodge so it would be documented, so they could move on to the next step.

So at this point, I'm not giving up hope on the service department. Yet...
What really boggles my mind is, the engineers don't even know what it is

Since I got the truck, I have noticed a few things I thought were odd, and wondered where they are getting their engineers.
It's almost like it is a contest with the engineers to see who can make a simple function as over-complicated as it can be.

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 PM

I have had this happen twice. Turned out (both times) that the dealers computers were malfunctioning and weren't picking up the code properly. Once they changed computers, they saw the code and it just required a flash update. However, both times the truck was running well, so it may be different in your situation

2013 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 Cummins Guy View Post
So far I have good feelings about the service department.
I have taken the truck in a few times for minor things so far. The most annoying issue is a very loud knocking noise at idle, and on acceleration. It sounds like very severe detonation in a gas engine, and sometimes almost sounds like a rod knocking.

It doesn't do it all the time, but it did actually do it once while they had it.
They couldn't isolate the problem, but told me they had been talking with the engineers on this issue as well, and even opened a case with Dodge so it would be documented, so they could move on to the next step.

So at this point, I'm not giving up hope on the service department. Yet...
What really boggles my mind is, the engineers don't even know what it is

Since I got the truck, I have noticed a few things I thought were odd, and wondered where they are getting their engineers.
It's almost like it is a contest with the engineers to see who can make a simple function as over-complicated as it can be.
Glad you're satisfied with your dealer... I may have judged to soon.

I would rather have the dealer say 'I don't know, but we'll find out" rather than blow smoke... and your dealers is being honest.

Good luck.

2013 RAM 3500 Laramie SRW CC 4x4 68RFE 3.42 CTD
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Just got back from the dealer. The service mgr wasn't there today, so I didn't find out anything other than it's still not fixed lol...

I agree Bernie. I don't have a problem with them saying up front, we don't know what it is, or how to fix it, as long as they are using all the resources available to them, to find a solution, and not blowin smoke.

Just for giggles the wife and I walked around and looked at the 14's they have in stock.
They have two 14 3500 SRW CC 4x4's.
One Tradesman, and one SLT. Both have CTD'S with Aisin trans. No Laramies yet

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinTX View Post
I have had this happen twice. Turned out (both times) that the dealers computers were malfunctioning and weren't picking up the code properly. Once they changed computers, they saw the code and it just required a flash update. However, both times the truck was running well, so it may be different in your situation
I wish mine was going to be that easy. It's running so crappy, they didn't even want me to take it home, which was fine with me.
We did drive over by the dealer tonight after we went out for dinner. The wife misses it, and I wanted to get some things out of it that I left. I didn't think it would be staying that long in the hospital.

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Just an update on my truck. The service manager called my wife today, and told her they thought doing an update would fix it, but it didn't.
I drive truck, so it is easier for them to get ahold of her, than me playing phone tag I can't believe how many stinking updates there are. It is rediculous.
CEL is still on, and it is still running crappy.

Tomorrow they are going to replace the EGR valve, and see what that does. I still have yet to get a code number, and I really don't think they have figured out what the code actually means, or they would probably be a little more certain as to what would fix the problem....

I don't have great expectations, but who knows. We shall see

The Following User Says Thank You to 02 Cummins Guy For This Useful Post:
dspoon (10-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode