HAM radio and antenna installation - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
HAM radio and antenna installation

I’m looking for ideas and input on installing a mobile ham radio in my truck. I have a 2017 Mega cab. I will have a switch pros installed by the time I put in the radio, so power hookup is a non-issue. I’m more looking for how you all installed your antennas, ran antenna cable into the cab, and where you mounted to head unit.

I will probably install a CB as well.

I am going with the Icom ID4100 for the VHF/UHF. And the midland for the CB. I already have my HAM license, KM6CDF for the fact checkers out there. I got my license when I had a Kenwood in my Jeep.

Looking forward to read your thoughts on this.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 AM
Diesel Freak

I installed 1/4 waves on the roof, yes, drilling the 3/4 inch holes was painful and I did it for both my trucks (twice the pain). I used a step drill bit to reduce burrs on the inside edge of the hole and painted the hole's rim edge with touch-up paint. I ran the feed lines down the C pillar to the radio. I mounted the control head in the center console bin. I have no idea where you could mount a CB antenna, possibly look at a bed stake mount, that is what my son did.

I used Motorola MNO mounts and Larson rain caps (excellent quality) for cash washes. I sourced all parts through R and L in Ohio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-25 06.14.51.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	870475   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-17 14.34.57.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	870477  

2015 3500 LongHorn CC, 4x4, SRW, CTD, 68RFE
2013 1500 Laramie CC, 4x4, Hemi, 8 speed
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshog View Post
I installed 1/4 waves on the roof, yes, drilling the 3/4 inch holes was painful and I did it for both my trucks (twice the pain). I used a step drill bit to reduce burrs on the inside edge of the hole and painted the hole's rim edge with touch-up paint. I ran the feed lines down the C pillar to the radio. I mounted the control head in the center console bin. I have no idea where you could mount a CB antenna, possibly look at a bed stake mount, that is what my son did.

I used Motorola MNO mounts and Larson rain caps (excellent quality) for cash washes. I sourced all parts through R and L in Ohio.
When you came through the roof and dropped the headliner, were you worried about the airbags deploying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 09:09 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
I used a stake pocket mount,

https://www.wearecb.com/firestik-ss1...BoC6WYQAvD_BwE

Similar to the one above. YOu can get them with NMO holes as well. I run a Larsen 2/70 antennae and it gets out really well.

Came into the cab underneath the rear seat. Drilled a hole and used grommets. Mounted my radio under the rear seat and ran a remote headunit to the dash above the radio. Mounted a ram mount ball to the center stack bezel.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 CC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Diesel Head

This was my original CB installation back when I was n00b with RF.

Since then I've replaced the Wilson garbage with a NMO low band antenna on a NMO mount. To the rear of that sits a 5/8 wave UHF antenna for the DMR rig. Both have nice holes drilled through the roof.

2011 2500 CCSB|Carli|S476 T6|S&S 150%|S&S 12mm|Wilson Patterson 48RE|Freedom Racing Engines 6.8|Firepunk tuned
2013 3500 MCSB |Carli Backcountry|Baja Designs|Stainless s465|RevMax ZeroFlex|L19|CTT
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyL View Post
When you came through the roof and dropped the headliner, were you worried about the airbags deploying?
No. I didn't mess with any of the factory wiring. The factory wiring is all bundled and retained.

If you remove the rubber gasket around the door opening it allows the headline to lower enough to fish the feed line out.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:03 AM
Cummins Fan

Anyone try these?

https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/th...p/90201152.htm

Also wondering why it wont work with the backup camera third brake lights. There the same mount dimensions. I have the backup third brake light
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:58 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCalvin View Post
Wow! $330 for a $14 mount just because it is on the 3rd brake light. Something only the more wealthy would purchase I would think. Besides, the goal of an antenna, particularly in HAM radio, is to get a good transmit radiation pattern to hit those repeaters. Nothing beats a 1/4 wave center-mounted roof antenna.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I had thought about a magnetic mount, but I getting a little nutty about having a clean look. There is also the hood antenna mount, I think they run about $50 with tax and shipping. I may just bite the bullet though and drill the roof. It is a clean look. I have rvt to seal up the hole.

Worst case is using the hood mount and putting a 7" dual band on there for around town use. Then I can have a comet or Larsen behind the seat and put that on when I had up into the mountains. I hesitate with the hood mount because I had something similar on my jeep, and when I got over 60mph, all I heard was whistling.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 12:13 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

This is how I mounted my CB. Took out little plastic insert in tray and used, believe it or not, some shock bushing sleeves and a rubber insulator top and bottom of bushing for vibration. Wires run behind dash and come out of your choice of speaker or defrost. I will be moving the wires and antenna to the area where the plastic coin tray on the top of dash under the radio itself. This install was a prelim to get on the road for a trip to Washington state. Antenna is mounted on my headache rack. The small grey legs were from my tire pressure monitor dash-top tray. Hope it helps. The Bracket for my CB had two holes that actually lined up, but, if yours don't, two holes are an easy thing. Later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0700.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	870619  
boshog and dedduck like this.

2015 Regular Cab Dually, G56, Tradesman, Leveled, Cattleman, Leather, 8.4, BD 2Low, Viair, Hellwig Air Springs
2018 Keystone Montana 3730FL
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 04:49 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
This is how I mounted my CB. Took out little plastic insert in tray and used, believe it or not, some shock bushing sleeves and a rubber insulator top and bottom of bushing for vibration. Wires run behind dash and come out of your choice of speaker or defrost. I will be moving the wires and antenna to the area where the plastic coin tray on the top of dash under the radio itself. This install was a prelim to get on the road for a trip to Washington state. Antenna is mounted on my headache rack. The small grey legs were from my tire pressure monitor dash-top tray. Hope it helps. The Bracket for my CB had two holes that actually lined up, but, if yours don't, two holes are an easy thing. Later

Looks nice and clean. Which dash mat are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveo8x8 For This Useful Post:
Busted (03-26-2020)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:09 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo8x8 View Post
Looks nice and clean. Which dash mat are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Got the mat from Genos Garage. I think it's called the "Ultimat". It's molded and actually does fit very good. Dash reflection on the windshield is completely gone except for the reflection of the back of the CB. That will be addressed shortly.

2015 Regular Cab Dually, G56, Tradesman, Leveled, Cattleman, Leather, 8.4, BD 2Low, Viair, Hellwig Air Springs
2018 Keystone Montana 3730FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode