some insight for a newbie - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
some insight for a newbie

Hi guys, I have to start off by saying that I'm happy to be part of the cummins family. I have been driving 6 wheel dump trucks(Ford F650) diesels at my work now for almost 8 yrs. so I have some experience around diesels. I recently purchased my first personal diesel, a 2014 cummins, short bed , with only 25,700 miles. The truck looks brand new inside and I don't think the previous owner ever towed anything or even hauled anything in the back. The bed is spotless, not a scratch in it. The previous owner was a gentleman in his 70's and he bought it new. I actually met the guy. He had traded it in on a new eco-diesel 1500, he told me the 2500 was too big for him now. I viewed the carfax report and the truck was serviced at regular intervals and nothing jumped out at me. I thought I would be good for awhile in regards to service except at the recommended times. After driving the truck for a day, with the same tank of gas that was in when I bought it, I kept on getting a water in diesel light code. I would drain the filters and it would go away. After the third time, I contacted the dealer and they brought it it. They ended up replacing both filter sensor units and it has been working great. About 100 miles later, my check engine light came on and it didn't run quite right. I took it to the dealer again and 3 codes came up involving the turbo. One code was stored , 2 were current. They ended up replacing the turbo. It was covered under the warranty. My question being new is "what the heck is going on". I live in the country, drive about 28 miles to work one way and I drive normal. When I say normal, I mean I don't baby it but I don't drive like an idiot either. Any thoughts on why the issues for such low mileage.

2014 Ram 2500, 26,400 miles
Bestop power boards
blackgold pearlcoat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Diesel Freak

You found a low miles creampuff! Terrific!

Bad news is there's a reason you'll see over and over and over again here that "these trucks like to driven". What almost certainly happened with yours is that it was very lightly driven and never pushed, and you jumped in and started driving it normally, and the turbo variable geometry control actuators seized up. It's a super common issue, age and use related, not so much mileage. The great news is that you've got a brand new unit and with normal usage and regular maintenance it's likely to last you many years.

Search on the forum for "VGT" and "turbo actuator failure" for tons and tons of info.

Since you don't list the codes, this isn't 100% guaranteed what your issue was, but I'll bet it was. I'm going to proceed assuming it was.

Now, what a lot of readers here are going to be asking is, "if it WAS turbo actuator issues, then why was it covered on a 2014 truck?"

There's a lot of controversy and confusion about the warranty coverage. The actuator is part of the turbo assembly, but only the turbo itself is covered under the emissions warranty, which is probably the only original coverage that would still apply to a 2014 ... or so would FCA have us believe. It is of course covered under the basic warranty, and under the powertrain warranty, and under the available extended warranties for powertrain and the whole truck. Some dealers, faced with a turbo actuator failure, replace the entire unit under warranty if the emissions warranty is still active. So ... the question is.... can you tell us what your repair ticket tells you about the diagnosis and repair, and can you tell us what warranty applied -- Powertrain, emissions, extended, or an aftermarket warranty provided with the sale?
Ricky_Bobby likes this.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

the codes were P00AF,- turbo charger Boost Control module performance, P003A(stored code),-turbocharger/supercharger boos control module position exceeded learning limit, and U010C,- lost communication with turbocharger control module. I called Chrysler direct for an extended warranty and during the conversation the rep. stated that the original factory warranty was still good until November.

Bestop power boards
blackgold pearlcoat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter23 View Post
the codes were P00AF,- turbo charger Boost Control module performance, P003A(stored code),-turbocharger/supercharger boos control module position exceeded learning limit, and U010C,- lost communication with turbocharger control module. I called Chrysler direct for an extended warranty and during the conversation the rep. stated that the original factory warranty was still good until November.
Sounds like your turbo actuator has puked.....

2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab - Calibrated Power Emission Intact Tune -AlphaRex / Morimoto / Hikari Ultra Headlights -Fox IFP Steering Damper
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

This warranty is from the dealer. The lifetime powertrain limited warranty coverage for your engine, transmission, drive axle system, seals, gaskets and other internally lubricated parts. Powertrain coverage for as long as you own your vehicle.
No expiration date.
No expiration mileage.

Bestop power boards
blackgold pearlcoat
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

on the ticket, it states they disconnected the actuator and performed circuit tests for 12 v and ground bulb lit brightly. It states they replaced the turbo assembly, TURBO NON, 3 gaskets, exh clamp, antifreeze. I have had it back 5 days now and it seems to be working good. No hesitation or lag.
Gr8bawana and Nater_Potater like this.

Bestop power boards
blackgold pearlcoat
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Cummins Nut

OK I might have a different view on this
this truck SAT a LOT, and no clue where your located at
BUT there could simply be a issue with the fuel in the tank, or water in the tank
condensation can build, buying bad fuel some place and this truck sitting so much, can all lead to fuel in tank being BAD

, Might be worth draining the tank and knowing you have new fuel in it

as when you changed filters and such, WHAT did the fuel ion them look like?
was water present?
ALSO< I know for a fact on many trucks that sit in MY area,m many have been getting issue';s wit a sort of algae that is building inside tanks, I know they sell a fuel additive that kills it, but it might be worth looking into as well!

https://www.axi-international.com/ad...n-diesel-fuel/

figure a 2014 truck, 6 yrs old now, 25000 miles or so, is what 4000+ a YR, that's a LOT of sitting again and pending where kept? things can happen!

just food for thought here, I'm no expert !

2016 2500 crew cab Big Horn, Cummins, short bed, 4x4 cap, SIlver in coler
My 10th or so 2500 dodge/ram, now!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

The condition that the truck is in( new), I have no doubt that it sat for periods of time. I haven't had any issues with the "water in diesel" code since they replaced the two fuel filter sensors. I will be changing the fuel filters here in about 2500 miles before the 30,000 mile maintenance requirement. I'm not going to let the dealer rake me there. I will let them change the oil the first couple of times so they can perform the recommended checks to keep my warranty current. The one tech at the dealership did say that he went to some conference not to long ago and was told that Pennsylvania and New Jersey have the worst fuel out of all the states. Don't know if there is any truth to that, just saying what he told me.

Bestop power boards
blackgold pearlcoat

Last edited by bhunter23; 03-17-2020 at 01:42 PM. Reason: missed wording
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Cummins Nut

I have friends that work in refinery's in PA/NJ and they say its the same spec's as every where, so, I don't think its big difference in fuel quality from, state to state
BUT tempos swings, might again have some issue's that effect fuel
and last few yrs here in PA< temp swings have been insane, from 70 to 20's and like not that un common , even had 40's in July this past yr

as for fuel filters? I change mine every yr at about 15,000 miles or less
and pretty sure the warranty on my truck states EVERY yr regardless of miles, so, again when a truck sat for long periods of time and maybe some things get skipped due to lack of miles , never know!
fuel filters are cheap as to motor work IMO!

2016 2500 crew cab Big Horn, Cummins, short bed, 4x4 cap, SIlver in coler
My 10th or so 2500 dodge/ram, now!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Also, consider the DEF. At 70 degrees it only has a shelf life of 2 years. You might want to consider draining and adding in some fresh DEF unless you know for sure how fresh it is or have a DEF tester and can do it yourself.
mrbb1 likes this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

the DEF was full when I bought it, "supposedly" the dealer checked everything with the DEF system and filled it. The truck computer is telling me the filters were changed/reset, 2700 miles ago and they are at 77%. The dealership is telling me that they are due to be changed at the 30,000. The original owner was taking it to the dealer to get all the service and maintenance work done but according to the carfax report, I do not see where the filters were changed 2700 miles ago. I see where the oil and filter were changed, transmission checked, tailgate hatch replaced, but no fuel filters. I will be changing them just before the 30,000 mile maintenance requirement just so I can be assured that they are up to date.

Bestop power boards
blackgold pearlcoat
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Diesel Head

Sounds like you got a great truck, and a new turbo because of a bad actuator. Good for you, bad for dealer/mfg warranty cost because they just threw an expensive part at it. (The turbo had another few hundred thousand miles of life left in it, actuators are known to fail prematurely)

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode