Cameras - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cameras

Had anyone been able to reconfigure the tailgate and bed cameras ? Or better yet, is there a way to add cameras by utilizing the AUX switches ? I’d like to swap the camera views, putting the cargo camera up on the mirror. My other thought was possibly adding a camera inside my trailer and possibly on the rear of the trailer, then being able to toggle between the views.
Also, is there a way to eliminate the time out on the camera view on the radio screen? My thought is that if I had the cargo view on the mirror and it could be made to stay on, its useful as a blind spot monitor. Then, if I can switch from my tailgate view to an interior trailer view, the horses could be monitored while in route. Once at the designation, I could toggle the cargo view mirror to a rear trailer view to assist in parking the trailer.
Any thoughts? Is this a “ Lock pick” issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I guess I should have added that I’m new to the Cummins scene in a 2015 megacab 3500 after being a power stroke driver for 20 years. Got tired of the “death wobble”. Found this jewel from a retired couple who had only pulled a fifth wheel camper for 45k miles. I’ve had it a 2 months and have already put 6k on it pulling my 11k pound 3 horse living quarters between Va and NC.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:28 AM
Diesel Head

On the stock head unit, I’m pretty sure you’re limited to two cameras. And you should be able to toggle between the two on the 8.4 head unit.

I added a front camera and have the factory rear face. I can toggle between the two on my UAQ 8.4 radio.

The time out over 10mph is dumb and has no work around besides getting a lockpick. That would effect the nav input while in motion.

16 CTD 2500 Bright White Crew Cab

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

So, there should be another camera input on the rear of my radio? How would I go about programming another camera on to the screen ?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 01:12 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondwind962 View Post
So, there should be another camera input on the rear of my radio? How would I go about programming another camera on to the screen ?

Alfaobd

2014 RAM HD. Cummins 6.7 364.5SXE Turbo. EZLynk Tuned. Straight piped. Air-Ride.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

I've done it, but it was DIY and unrelated to the truck screen.

I put a small camera on the front of the truck and turn it on with Aux 3. I put a small camera on the rear of my trailer and turn it on with Aux 4.

I added a small LCD and have it sitting in the change holder above the radio. It is also connected to Aux 4 for power.

You have to run the two RCA cables to the LCD and hide them, but I have a dash cover to reduce glare, so it's not an issue for me.

I connect the trailer RCA cable to the truck RCA cable when I hook up the trailer. Now, when I turn on Aux 4, the LCD comes on and I can see what's behind the trailer, and it stays on until I turn it off. If I turn on Aux 3, it overrides the trailer camera and I can see in front of the truck. Comes in handy in tight backing conditions.

Clean install and it lets me see behind the trailer without dealing with wireless signal dropout. You could easily just put a camera wherever you want it.

PS I prefer it like this because looking down at the uconnect screen is uncomfortable for me. I don't like taking my eyes of the road while pulling my camper. I can merely glance at the LCD on the dash as needed.

'18 Granite Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 CTD / Air Susp / Anti Spin / Wheel-to-Wheel Sidesteps / Husky Guards / Dee Zee Assist / Gator FX /AVS Aeroskin II / I-P Switches
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondwind962 View Post
What year is your truck? If it’s pre-2016, you can’t enable both cameras on the radio. You’re best bet would be a jailbreak solution or a video switcher.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy07 View Post

What year is your truck? If it’s pre-2016, you can’t enable both cameras on the radio. You’re best bet would be a jailbreak solution or a video switcher.
Any idea why my 13 shows like I can switch between the 2 then? My radio has the on screen buttons to swap views but the tailgate camera never shows up.

2013 2500 68RE, deleted w/ EFI Live, CTS2 monitor
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall00 View Post
Any idea why my 13 shows like I can switch between the 2 then? My radio has the on screen buttons to swap views but the tailgate camera never shows up.
Do you happen to have radio software version 17.11.07? That update had a glitch to allow both inputs on the radio, instead of cargo cam on the radio/backup cam on the mirror. Those aren’t “swap views” buttons, but rather, “on demand” buttons. Normally, I don’t think the backup camera “on demand” button does anything on a pre-2016 radio, though.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Cummins Nut

Just checked, my radio is 18.13.17

On the camera display I have 2 views available in the upper left corner. The cargo cam shows up as a blue screen, the tailgate cam shows up as the cargo view hahaha. The actual tailgate cam view only shows up in my rearview when in reverse. All factory parts, the cameras have been there from day 1.

Strange stuff!

And thanks for the help!!

2013 2500 68RE, deleted w/ EFI Live, CTS2 monitor
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

OP here. My truck is a 2015. Just shows the one cargo camera on the screen. The reverse is in the mirror, which isn’t far from useless. I didn’t think, from what I’ve gathered, that my application could take two camera inputs. Would a radio swap from a 17 or 18 be a more viable solution or is the lockpick going to be my best option, since I want to get around the timeout as well?
Are all the dash cables RCA connectorized?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 09:01 PM
Diesel Head

If you tie the feed (daisy chain)from say the tailgate cam, then just cut the power to it and feed power to a different cam it will show up fine on the factory head unit.
This is how my truck is set up for my trailer cams, the wireless receiver is powered up via a dual throw relay. I use button 2 of the aux switches when it’s off tailgate cam and when it on trailer cam.

'18 mega drw titanium limited, '10 laramie mega 4x4 3500 auto srw ‘sold’
Past '04 ram 3500 4x4 drw qc nv5600 'sold', '03 ram 3500 4x4 srw qc short bed twin turbo'd hot rod 'sold', '98 ram 3500 4x4 drw qc nv4500 'sold'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode