Looking at a brand new 2018 3500 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a brand new 2018 3500

Hello everyone. I'm not a super social person or really ever added much to the forum. But I was a previous member who really enjoyed my 03 so. Long story short, previous owner bent the oil pan. Truck running on a hill. Oil pump not running.....

Anyways. Went couple years without a truck. Got a house. Got some antiques couple trailers and do some odd jobs. So I now have an 03 Chevy 2500hd 6.0 4.10 with only 104000. This truck was purchased with the intent to run it a long time, payoff student loans and then finally get a nice rig. Well after 2 years. I'm tired of fixing this thing constantly and now I have the luxury of watching it rot away.

So wife is prego. She's ok with me tinkering and doing house stuff. But the truck has us both stressed.

So in comes the potential. Buy newer ?....or spend a little more and get new. Well I love aluminum on the fords. Hate the rust on the chevys. Love the new body style and would enjoy being back behind the wheel of a Cummins. So only been looking couple days and found the following. It's 2018 3500 with aisen. I don't tow real often but do tow up to 14k. The reason my option opened to a diesel is not wanting to get a gasser with high gears that can't pull as well as my current setup. This thing is not the new body style and doesn't have the upfitter switches or can lights. But it's perfect otherwise. The question is should any of it concern me? It's a little higher than budget would like. It's silly but I'm trying to get everything I need and keep it as low as possible. What reasonably price could I offer ?

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

I know this post could be semi duplicative. I understand "search feature usage" just in a weird crunch where we have our minds on doing this and eliminating headaches. The Chevy is now making noises in rear ended and my mechanic says the driveshaft yokes are about to rust a part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:43 PM
Diesel Head

It’s way overpriced not even taking into consideration its a 2 year old truck. Brand new in 18 it could be had for low to mid 40s. A 2 year leftover truck I personally wouldn’t pay over 40 for it.

-1999 2500 white sport QCSB/NV4500/EMS free spins
-1997 2500 12v LWB 5spd, 1998.5 3500 P24V 5spd
-2016 MC Laramie G56 maximum steel/CTT/CTS2/SB3250/37s
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:59 PM
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Honestly you should be able to get into that truck around 38k. If you offered that the dealer should have you sign immediately.

I don’t understand why the dealership Didn’t buy it and sell it used as certified preowned.

2018 Ram 2500 Mega - Cummins - 4x4 - level kit, stock
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn - Cummins - 4x4, Ranch color match lid. 2.5 level. deleted and tuned, Thuren adjustable track bar, Bilstein 5100's - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 12:20 AM
Cummins Fanatic

First thing I thought of was over priced too. I bought an 18 Laramie with a price tag of 67735 for 55k even in 2019. But I’m sure the dealership will work on the price some. I would dig my heals in at 30% of msrp. Or hell go with 40k if you want but I doubt the dealership will go that low. To me a left over 18 would be a fair price at 25% off of msrp. But only you can make that decision. Maybe look up pricing on a left over 19s and use that as some ammo to drop the price especially if they are firm on the price. I bet you could get a 19 for a better percentage off of msrp, if this dealership is sticking firm or close to their online price.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 AM
-

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I think that 2018 truck is awesome! Tradesman 3500 CCSB 4WD HO with Aisan. Monochromatic black.

It has minimal electronic crap, no sunroof, no keyless entry, no huge LCD in the dash. Has 5th wheel prep package and towing mirrors.
Hopefully it has 3.73 gears.

All it needs is some aftermarket wheels.

That truck should come with a full new truck warranty despite it is over 2 years old.

Run, don't walk over there. Keep your cool, don't appear to interested in a 2 year old "work truck" and give them a super low offer.

2004.5 Dodge SB QC 2500 2wd Cummins 600/6spd manual/3.73 LSD

ATS 3K/5K Twin turbos. DDP 50HP tips, F1 valve springs, ARP headstuds.
SBC Dual disk 3250. Smarty. Glacier Diesel intake plate, air horn, fuel & filter system.
MBRP S.S. muffler. BD short shifter. Brakesmart tow controller.
BD exhaust brake. Pullrite 24k Superglide.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 01:54 AM
Diesel Head

Look up the VIN on this sight, looks to have a few nice options.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

2016 Laramie 3500 CC, LB, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, 5th wheel Pucks.
Towing 32' 5er, GCVW 20,500#
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 02:04 AM
Cummins Nut

No way I'd pay even close to that. That's a $35k truck imo.
I paid 55 for my ccsb Laramie with literally every option down to dual alternators, air suspension and sunroof. I'd have to look at my sticker but I think it was somewhere close to 69.
If the dealer wants 50 for it they better cozy up and prepare to die with it, or wait 5 years until new ones are $150k lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 07:04 AM
Cummins Nut

I bought my 18 in July of 19. It's and SLT but very optioned, had a sticker of 67,xxx. I got it for 53k out the door. I think 38k otd is where I'd want to be on that truck.

2018 Ram 3500 Dually w/Aisin and 4.10's

2014 Laramie Mega 2500 BAP - SOLD
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 07:15 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
i got my 2018 3500 tradesman about a year ago and was 4k less. does not have Aisin however.

i would recommend shopping around, see if you can find another with Aisin and upfitter/aux switches at least.

main thing mine is missing is the apple carplay but i think that does not come on tradesman models as far as i can tell...
... but i got a garmin dezl and all is good.

2018 3500 Tradesman SRW
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 09:32 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

I paid $42k for my $54k msrp truck last June.
I would expect $16,000 off msrp on a 2 yr old new truck.
I bought from Dennis Dillon in Caldwell ID, also check D-I-C-K Smith in Kellogg ID.

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CC/SB/4X4/CTD/68RFE, stock, white, no bells and whistles.
Kelderman rear air springs, ARE cap, Bedrug, Carhartt seat covers, Huskyliner floor mats, Huskyliner mud flaps, Lund side steps, Tradesman emblem on tailgate
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:30 AM
Diesel Head

Way way way over priced......

2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn Mega cab, 285/75-18 (35's) Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Fuel Hostage III 18x9 +18 BS Wheels. Bilstein 2.3″ Front Lift, 1" rear spacer.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgarrabrant View Post
Hello everyone. I'm not a super social person or really ever added much to the forum. But I was a previous member who really enjoyed my 03 so. Long story short, previous owner bent the oil pan. Truck running on a hill. Oil pump not running.....

Anyways. Went couple years without a truck. Got a house. Got some antiques couple trailers and do some odd jobs. So I now have an 03 Chevy 2500hd 6.0 4.10 with only 104000. This truck was purchased with the intent to run it a long time, payoff student loans and then finally get a nice rig. Well after 2 years. I'm tired of fixing this thing constantly and now I have the luxury of watching it rot away.

So wife is prego. She's ok with me tinkering and doing house stuff. But the truck has us both stressed.

So in comes the potential. Buy newer ?....or spend a little more and get new. Well I love aluminum on the fords. Hate the rust on the chevys. Love the new body style and would enjoy being back behind the wheel of a Cummins. So only been looking couple days and found the following. It's 2018 3500 with aisen. I don't tow real often but do tow up to 14k. The reason my option opened to a diesel is not wanting to get a gasser with high gears that can't pull as well as my current setup. This thing is not the new body style and doesn't have the upfitter switches or can lights. But it's perfect otherwise. The question is should any of it concern me? It's a little higher than budget would like. It's silly but I'm trying to get everything I need and keep it as low as possible. What reasonably price could I offer ?

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

I know this post could be semi duplicative. I understand "search feature usage" just in a weird crunch where we have our minds on doing this and eliminating headaches. The Chevy is now making noises in rear ended and my mechanic says the driveshaft yokes are about to rust a part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sorry about the chevy but it's to be expected. I wouldn't put another nickel in it.

As to the Ram? Looks a little spendy but I'm sure they'll negotiate down some.

Also, are you really sure you want a diesel what with all the new EPA junk on them?

As to pulling, an F-150 ecoboost would pull that old raggedy shove-it-or-leave-it in half. They'll even pull more than most cheby 2500 gassers.

The biggest thing with an HD truck is, IMO, the suspension. If you need the HD suspension, you need it. No compromising on that if you want to be safe with yourself and your family.

If you really want a new Ram CTD, go for it. Don't cheap-out on yourself. Seriously. I've bought somewhere around 15 personal new vehicles (I'm fickle). And after about 6 Months you forget what you even paid for them. I had to ask my wife the other day what we paid for our CTD. I forgot.

But get what you want. Many older people look back on life and regret the things they didn't do more than the things they did do.

Shop. Hard. You can make it drudgery or you can make it fun. Most of the time, it's a little bit of both.

I love my CTD. Love my Ram. Love it.

HATE the EPA crap on it. HATE it. I get angry just thinking about it.

The expense of maintenance don't bother me too much but with an Aisin you're looking at even more expense so keep all that in mind

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode