Another Oil Question? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING -

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Another Oil Question?

OK, being an old retiree and not much to do except read too much into things, I have tried to understand what would be the best viscosity Synthetic oil to use in my truck. I know what the owner’s manual says, and I live in FL. So, I have been using 15W-40 (T4, T5). The last couple oil changes I used, 5W40 (T6, and then Valvoline). I really liked the Valvoline Extreme the best as the engine ran so smooth with good mileage. Amazon has it for sale at $59.70 for case of 3. I see now that the Shell T6 comes in 15W-40 at $89.64 for case of 3. So, my recent oil change, I went with T6 15W-40. The reason I used it was that when I ordered the Valvoline 5W-40, it go returned to Amazon undeliverable for whatever reason, so I reordered the T6 to try. It seems to run good, but I still like the Valvoline better. Now, my question is, why does Shell have the 15W-40 and Valvoline doesn’t. I tried to read about all these Viscosity Index Improvers, to the point of my old brain exploding. The only thing I got out of all this is that it does seem to take a lot of Viscosity Improvers to get the oil from 5W to 40 when hot. I’m not sure that much improvers will actually hold up good enough to really keep the oil at 40 when hot for the duration of the oil change. Seems that the less Improvers needed, as in 15W-40, would be better in keeping the range required. Am I reading too much into this?

2014 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4X4, SRW, Cummins/Aisin, Black Gold, Rambox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Yes, you are reading too much into it. That's OK though as we all do that from time to time. If you like the Valvoline then run it and find something new to stress over, like grid heater bolts or turbo actuators. Those seem to be popular things to worry about these days.
1968rt, boshog and Gr8bawana like this.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 AM
Cummins Fan

Well put. From the both of you.

Bob
'92 GMCummins with all the usual crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Cummins Nut

Don't forget about Walmart delivery...I got Shell T6, 15w40 to the door for ~$60. Much better price than Amazon.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW long box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
B&W Ram Companion
2015 Wildcat 317RL, 12,000 lbs
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Diesel Head

Any of those oils and grades will work fine for you. I get T6 Rotella on sale because with mail in rebates that they usually offer it ends up being the cheapest synthetic I can get. I get synthetic as I need 5w40 for cold weather.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Go Packers

Thanked 2,812 Times in 2,243 Posts
We have a few stores that put Valvoline Premium Blue 15/40 on sale now & then for $10.99-$11.99 a gallon. I usually get 9 gallons when on sale. Then hopefully it's on sale again when I get down to the last 3 gallons.

2012 SLT 3500, CCLB, HO, SRW 4x2, 4.10s, 68RFE, Mineral Grey, Pacbrake air springs, Fumoto oil valve, Cat/Cummins Dual Filter kit, Edge CTS Monitor.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo George View Post
Yes, you are reading too much into it. That's OK though as we all do that from time to time. If you like the Valvoline then run it and find something new to stress over, like grid heater bolts or turbo actuators. Those seem to be popular things to worry about these days.
I worry about those too. You're right though, I'm surprised I lasted this long worrying about everything.
Gr8bawana and Wyo George like this.

2014 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4X4, SRW, Cummins/Aisin, Black Gold, Rambox.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd01 View Post
OK, being an old retiree and not much to do except read too much into things, I have tried to understand what would be the best viscosity Synthetic oil to use in my truck. I know what the owner’s manual says, and I live in FL. So, I have been using 15W-40 (T4, T5). The last couple oil changes I used, 5W40 (T6, and then Valvoline). I really liked the Valvoline Extreme the best as the engine ran so smooth with good mileage. Amazon has it for sale at $59.70 for case of 3. I see now that the Shell T6 comes in 15W-40 at $89.64 for case of 3. So, my recent oil change, I went with T6 15W-40. The reason I used it was that when I ordered the Valvoline 5W-40, it go returned to Amazon undeliverable for whatever reason, so I reordered the T6 to try. It seems to run good, but I still like the Valvoline better. Now, my question is, why does Shell have the 15W-40 and Valvoline doesn’t. I tried to read about all these Viscosity Index Improvers, to the point of my old brain exploding. The only thing I got out of all this is that it does seem to take a lot of Viscosity Improvers to get the oil from 5W to 40 when hot. I’m not sure that much improvers will actually hold up good enough to really keep the oil at 40 when hot for the duration of the oil change. Seems that the less Improvers needed, as in 15W-40, would be better in keeping the range required. Am I reading too much into this?
You are too worried, like Wyo said, there are other things on these trucks to worry about.............NOT. I'll bet you this, if I change your oil, and you drive it, you can not tell me what oil I installed. Any oil that is correct for the engine will "feel" the same.
pwr2tow, Gr8bawana and Wyo George like this.

17 3500 Laramie CCLB loaded, minus the stupid stuff.
2011 Durango Hemi Loaded
2020 KW T370 PX9 380HP 1250lbft @ 1400 RTO14908LL
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:48 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd01 View Post
Don't get too wrapped up in all that VII talk. If you really want to get into it, try Bob Is The Oil Guy. Those guys are serious. About what, I'm not sure

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

5W-40 synthetic is virtually always superior to any 15W-40 non synthetic. Period. Doesn't mean the 15W-40 is bad, it's just that the synthetic is better.

Maybe a 15W-40 is more gooder if your engine is about to rattle itself to death and you just want to keep it alive for another few months... It's also cheaper, if that's important to you. To some people, it is. Those that change their oil every other month and don't do it themselves, the costs can add up.

But if you're doing it yourself and/or the only difference in cost is the extra $10-$20 for the oil once or twice a year, it's a no-brainer. 5W-40 Synthetic all the way.

Oh yeah, the Amazon guy dropped my oil in the back of his truck and splattered it all over the place. So mine had to be re-ordered, too.

2017 4X4 SLT Ram Big Horn 2500 SB Cummins
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:57 PM
Diesel Freak

Stick with 15w40 conventional. It will work absolutely fine in your climate. It's cheap as well.

Synthetic is great but conventional has come so far, base oil is a non issue.

I think it was valvoline that did some wear testing. The lower the spread between the W and viscosity at 100C the better wear protection. 15w40 does better than 5w40, which is better than 0w40.

Obviously cold climate dictates your W.

Viscosity is another story. 30 weights are fine, as are 40 weights. Cummins even states this.

Run a 15w40, 5w40 or even a 10w30. If its CES20081/86 it's fine. No one will care, not even your engine.
pwr2tow and slayerfish like this.

2017 Ram 3500 Megacab, SLT, True Blue, SRW, CTD, AS69RC. Ubique
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:38 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Pick one from the linked list:
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...wF4ADEmEoAGRfc

2015 Ram Laramie CC 2500 4x4 CTD auto in Western Brown
Mods: Undercover Elite hard tonneau, Bedrug, LED tail light strip, Amp power step, AAM finned dif cover, back seat mod, cabin air filter added
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7492 View Post
You are too worried, like Wyo said, there are other things on these trucks to worry about.............NOT. I'll bet you this, if I change your oil, and you drive it, you can not tell me what oil I installed. Any oil that is correct for the engine will "feel" the same.
To the OP-Your truck does not know what oil you put in it. It doesn't run smoother with one oil or another and I can assure you the mpg is the same.
It's all in your head. Just buy whatever is cheapest and locally available of the correct viscosity. No need to spend the extra $$ on synthetic oil. Change your oil and filter at the specified intervals and you will have nothing to worry about.

2017 4x4 2500
6.7 CTD 100% stock
33.700 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode